Re-Entry With Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months

I have to leave the country and already have a re-entry permit but when I come back, my passport will expire within 5 months. I already have a new passport but I would like to use the old one until the current extension expires.

What do I have to expect, will I be able to enter the country with my old passport? (maybe if I can show my new one and tell them I'm on the way to the embassy to transfer the visa??

Another thing is that I have to register at the immigration while I am gone (xx day report). Does that mean I have to go to the immigration directly after I came back or after xx days after I entered the country?

thanks for any good advice smile.png

Normally if you have an extension you have to go to Immigration to have the stamps moved into the new passport, as the old passport is immediately cancelled by the issuing authority. Therefore your re-entry permit has been cancelled too. The stamps in the new passport cover about 2 pages.

90 days from the day of return into Thailand, remember that day is Day 1.

A Visa does not get transferred by an Embassy or Consulate.

You can be expected to be arrested upon trying to use that old passport for travel if you have a replacement from most any country I am aware of. When issued a replacement passport your old passport is recorded as invalid. If you try to leave using both passports you will be directed to return to immigration where extension was obtained to transfer stamps. So I would not try using and just get your extension transferred now.

• Like 1

And before the question comes up, no the Immigration officers at Swampy cannot transfer stamps, from an old passport to a new one.

Actually they do take care of the stamp for a visa or visa exempt entry - it is only those on extensions of stay that must visit issuing immigration for the transfers.

Normally if you have an extension you have to go to Immigration to have the stamps moved into the new passport, as the old passport is immediately cancelled by the issuing authority. Therefore your re-entry permit has been cancelled too. The stamps in the new passport cover about 2 pages.

90 days from the day of return into Thailand, remember that day is Day 1.

A Visa does not get transferred by an Embassy or Consulate.

sorry, my fault, of course the immigration has to transfer the visa.

You can be expected to be arrested upon trying to use that old passport for travel if you have a replacement from most any country I am aware of. When issued a replacement passport your old passport is recorded as invalid. If you try to leave using both passports you will be directed to return to immigration where extension was obtained to transfer stamps. So I would not try using and just get your extension transferred now.

Why? My Passport(s) are owned by the country I come from and as long as they issue more than one passport for me, nobody can arrest me for that. There are several reasons why one might need more than one passport and it is not forbidden. (Of couse you will normally not get 2 passports and you will have to state why you need more than one, otherwise the issuing authorities will stamp the old one invalid).

So Thailand (or any other country) definitely can't arrest me for travelling with a valid passport, no matter how many other passports I might have.

Back to my initial question, is the immigration strict about the 6 months?

Why did you apply for a new passport, if you applied for one to renew the old one then it is cancelled by your Government.

And since you say NEW PASSPORT, then this is the case.

Some people have two passports, but this is a different case and does not apply to you, as you renewed.

And before the question comes up, no the Immigration officers at Swampy cannot transfer stamps, from an old passport to a new one.

Actually they do take care of the stamp for a visa or visa exempt entry - it is only those on extensions of stay that must visit issuing immigration for the transfers.

Sorry but how can you transfer a visa exempt stamp, obviously the person has just arrived so the previous entry would have been cancelled. Thus a new stamp not referring to the old one would be placed into the new passport and not transferred from one old passport to a new one.

I would assume that a Visa is not transferred but the new date for doing a border run would be in the passport.

Edited by beano2274

The same way they transfer an extension of stay - they note the information of old passport/entry date and permitted to stay date into the new passport - it used to be required for any passport replacement that you went to local immigration office to take care of this but under current policy you are sent to exit point to take care of it on departure if you do not have an extension of stay.

The same way they transfer an extension of stay - they note the information of old passport/entry date and permitted to stay date into the new passport - it used to be required for any passport replacement that you went to local immigration office to take care of this but under current policy you are sent to exit point to take care of it on departure if you do not have an extension of stay.

okay that sounds reasonable for a visa, but not a visa exempt.

Visa exempt means to me, that the person comes to Thailand and passes immigration without being stamped in, but if they leave and return the visa exempt entry that they might have had is cancelled upon exit, then upon arrival a new visa exempt entry is passed into the new passport, there seems to be no transfer here.

There is no entry for non Thai without getting stamped in and out by immigration. Visa exempt means you get an automatic stamp on entry for a set period of time for your nationality and on exit an exit stamp. You do not have to pay for and receive a visa is the only difference. If you change passports the new passport must get the exit stamp and for that the old passport information/entry must be recorded into it.

And I said issued as a replacement. A second passport is not the same as a replacement for current passport.

Sorry. I didn't read properly. rolleyes.gif

Why did you apply for a new passport, if you applied for one to renew the old one then it is cancelled by your Government.

Some people have two passports, but this is a different case and does not apply to you, as you renewed.

As I explained why I need two passports I hope my country didn't report my old passport as invalid biggrin.png Actually I use the 'old' one so I guess I should not have any problems.

Does Immigration check the 6 months very thoroughly? I will arrive on DMK if that makes any difference whistling.gif and it will be about 5 months 2 weeks left...

And I said issued as a replacement. A second passport is not the same as a replacement for current passport.

Sorry. I didn't read properly. rolleyes.gif

>>Why did you apply for a new passport, if you applied for one to renew the old one then it is cancelled by your Government.

As I explained why I need two passports I hope my country didn't report my old passport as invalid biggrin.png Actually I use the 'old' one so I guess I should not have any problems.

Does Immigration check the 6 months very thoroughly? I will arrive on DMK if that makes any difference whistling.gif and it will be about 5 months 2 weeks left...

You said you have a new passport, therefore the old one has been cancelled, if you said you had 2 passports for work purposes that is different, but you didn"t.

If you want to miss your flight out of Thailand as your passport has been cancelled then it is your money, it just takes a quick visit to the Local Immigraiton office and all is well.

If you are unsure, then call your Embassy, if it is the British Embassy and you applied for a renewal, then as soon as Hong Kong processed your paperwork for the new one the old one was cancelled. If British then you did not send your old passport to get the new one so how could the Issuing authority stamp it INVALID.

Edited by beano2274

I think the same as my country (USA). If you get a new passport ( I think the only reason they would give you a new one with out them getting the old one is if it was lost or stolen) The old one is canceled. I can see having two passports for two different countries, but it seems to me that having more than one from one country opens the door to abuse.

Thailand is only concerned that your passport will cover you period of stay. But other countries could be very strict on that.

It would cover my period of stay so you think it should not be a problem? (lets not talk about 1st and 2nd passport...)

THe passport is still valid more than 6 months when I enter the other country.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought someone might be interested in it...

• Left Thailand in beginning of June > Passport still more than 6 month valid > no problems (not a suprise for me as I knew my 'old'/1st passport was not cancelled)
  • Entered Cambodia without any problems
  • Left Cambodia without any problems
  • Entered Thailand (Don Mueang) at the end of June > Passport less than 6 months valid > No Problems at the immigration.

So I saved almost 4 passport pages :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

• Left Thailand in beginning of June > Passport still more than 6 month valid > no problems (not a suprise for me as I knew my 'old'/1st passport was not cancelled)
  • Entered Thailand (Don Mueang) at the end of June > Passport less than 6 months valid > No Problems at the immigration.

So I saved almost 4 passport pages smile.png

Thanks shafty. I am looking for this sort of information as I am in the same situation. I am leaving Thailand on 22 Nov (with 4+ month validity passport as it will be expired in March '14) and come back in the first week of Dec when my passport has only 3+ month validity. I will do re-entry as I have a non-immi visa till the end of Dec '13. Do you think I can enter without any problems like you? The only thing is my passport will have only 3months when you had 5 months when you came back in. Thanks in advance.

So I saved almost 4 passport pages Posted Image

Thanks shafty. I am looking for this sort of information as I am in the same situation. I am leaving Thailand on 22 Nov (with 4+ month validity passport as it will be expired in March '14) and come back in the first week of Dec when my passport has only 3+ month validity. I will do re-entry as I have a non-immi visa till the end of Dec '13. Do you think I can enter without any problems like you? The only thing is my passport will have only 3months when you had 5 months when you came back in. Thanks in advance.

Your passport has to be valid longer than your allowed stay. If you have multiple entry visa the 3 months would not be enough because you will be getting a 90 day entry.

If an extension of stay then you could enter but your new extension will only be for the length of your passport validity (new rules).

You should of already gotten a new passport. What are waiting for?