Vertigo Vs Sirocco

Nakrob

I've been reading a few posts and web pages about Sirocco and Vertigo. I'm back in Bangkok for one night next weekend and can't work out which is better value as reviews are mixed. Which is best for views, food, value for money? What can we expect to pay for dinner for 2?

I have actualy been to both places. Vertigo once and Sirrocco many times. My Fiance' worked at Vertigo before and gave me the inside scoop. For drinks Vertigo is ok, the view is a bit more edgy, but the food is mediocre. Sirrocco on the other hand has a more spacious feel, comfortable seating, excellent drinks (that they will quickly take back and refund if it's taste dose not suit your whim) and the Food! Wow I mean the food is excellent, the fresh and the flavor is outstanding! Sirroco has more seating and it's much more spread out. They aslo have inside seating above the lounge with live classical/moody jazz done by good bands.

Each place Vertigo and Sirrocco cost about the same, roughly $100-150 for 2 with full food and drinks Possibly less if your not a heavy drinker or you avoid nice wine (wich I do not). Vertigo is marginaly more expensive though not by much. I would have a drink at both places, then come back the next day for dinner at the place of your choice.

1 Bad thing however about Sirrocco, they are SUPPOSED to have a dress code. Though you commonly see scumbag backpakers trying to creep in in their shorts and sandles just to get a look. Or bummy dressed chineese comming up like wise to take pictures and take a look nursing a single drink.

If ya can't afford to drink there don't go. Fortunetly they have been doing better in cutting down on the number of these dregs but you still may spot em from time to time.

Vertigo dose not have this problem, that I have seen.

Oh and finaly the staff at Sirrocco seem very honest. I left my bag from shopping at the mall in the resturant overnight and it was there for me the next day all items (includeing some gold) in tact.

Sirrocco is a Class Act really

...and across the river is the new Hilton Millenium with a sky high bar and possibly the best views in town.

I think they just serve drinks for now.

The free Hilton boat from the Taksin Skytrain Station makes for a dramatic arrival.

The outdoor Klong San market is right next door too.

Edited by The Skipper

• 3 years later...
Thought I should raise this one to see if anyones taste's have changed is Sirroco still the place to be? money no real issue as it's only one night.

How about Red Sky at Central World? Never been myself but here is some info on it...

Restaurants and Bars in Bangkok Thailand

Fine Dining in Bangkok at Red Sky Centara Grand Central World Plaza

Nov 5, 2008 John Howe

Good dining restaurants are easy to find in Bangkok but none gives a bird's eye view of central Bangkok like the Centara Grand's 55th floor eatery Red Sky.

Bangkok has a plethora of sky-high restaurants and bars that you would think it impossible to better those that are already established. But walking out on to the 55th floor and stepping into Red Sky at Centara Grande Central World Plaza you realise that the hotel has done just that; stolen the edge on the competition. Entering Red Sky is like joining a world of high class but understated sophistication.

Red Sky is the latest additions to Centara Grand’s fine dining venues of Ginger, the World and its newly opened 55 restaurant. Red Sky has met the standard of excellent fine dining set by it sister restaurants.

Red Sky is at the very summit of the Centara Grand getting there is a little bit of a trek but the high speed lift whisks you from the hotel lobby to the 55th floor in no time.

As the night severs the last remnants of day and dusk descends on the city’s famous thoroughfares Ploenchit Road, Sukhumvit Road, Ratchadamri are transformed from black streaks filled with multi-coloured cars, buses and taxis to an illuminated ribbon of red and white automobile lights snaking to their destinations.

Unlike some other rooftop restaurants and bars Red Sky offers a cosy almost intimate dining experience. Yes the stars and moon are above providing their own romantic note, millions of people scurry below but because of the ingenious way that the restaurant has been designed no other table seems to be encroaching on your conversation.

Ads by Google

Idyllic hidden island spa

Massage, reflexology, facial & skin care. Lush garden 2 hr from Bangkok

spa.ko-sichang.com

Affordable Rooms in BKK

Short-Long Stay.Large Pool,Fitness Spa, Near Silom Sathon Rama III BTS

www.jollysuites.com

Red Sky is divided into three sections, the bigger being a central area that also contains the Vodka Bar. Two wings on either side of the central space are smaller and suitable for a more intimate rendezvous. The whole ambiance is one of sheer luxury but in an unpretentious, unassuming manner, and is reminiscent of a Busby Barkley 1930s musical film set.

Two arches dominate the hotel and are illuminated at night and subtly change colour through a pastel palette range, the lighting is also coordinated in the shifting light patterns of the smoked glass bar.

The chef in charge of the kitchen at Red Sky is Canadian Aaron Foster who started to learn his trade at the tender age of 14 in his mother’s Toronto restaurant. Aaron had recently arrived in the Land of Smiles from his native land of Canada.

The wine list is extensive at over 200 labels of some of the finest wines from around the world; but at surprisingly modest prices. Many can be bought by the glass but it is surely better to buy and enjoy a full bottle from this extremely extensive cellar. And if you do you can enjoy the Wine Angel as she ascend on a hoist to select the wine and be treated to acrobatic display as the Angel pirouettes and twirls atop this two-storey glass cellar.

Red Sky is a perfect combination of stylish design, attentive service and excellent food and wine.

But don't forget the Cenatra Grand's other excellent restaurants like Ginger.

Open from 17.00-01.00 hours

Contact

Red Sky

Centara Grand at Central World Plaza

Patumwan, Bangkok, 10330

Tel: +(0) 2100 123

Read more at Suite101: Restaurants and Bars in Bangkok Thailand: Fine Dining in Bangkok at Red Sky Centara Grand Central World Plaza http://culinarytravel.suite101.com/article...k#ixzz0h6SjtNeR

post-22903-1267607611_thumb.jpg

As for all 3 restaurants, if you live in Thailand, you know the food is mediocre quality and way, way overpriced at all 3.

There is nothing special about spending 3,000 to 4,500 thb for dinner for 2 to eat mediocre food and have a view of Bangkok.

If you think you are going to be chowing down on some 5 star food forget it.

Granted the view and ambience is nice, but for that price the food better be extra special and there are 1000 restaurants in Bangkok whose food would put those 3 to shame for much, much less.

Thailand is a food capital and you have 1000's of options

Do yourself a favor and go somewhere that you can have an unforgettable meal

If you need a view bring a postcard of Bangkok

One look at the Clientele and you know right away these places thrive on tourists only

Nio I agree I've visited both last year and would not return, the reason I raised the question was for friends (3 girls) who are visiting for a long weekend and wanted something special. Due to the problems expected in BKK they have caught a flight to Chiang Mai instead.