Thailand Elite Card To Be Relaunched In June

webfact

Wanted to sell 1 million at 1 million baht apiece - sold just over 2,500. Now, the price has doubled, annual fee, fewer privileges, can't buy land (initial card could buy 10 rai), and only good for 20 years versus lifetime. Lost over 1 Billion baht so far.

Should sell 2 or 3 would be my guess.

Absolutely hilarious, reads like a not the nation article. It didn't even sell the first time when it was half the price and included (so they said) the ability to buy land blink.png

At double the price of the original, I would expect this to be half as popular as the original. Or maybe less so, given the 20 year limit, annual fee and no ability to buy/own land.

The only good thing I can see is the 5 year visa and one year stamp, but $70K is one hell of a price to pay for that. I can do 20 years of visa runs for under 200K baht.

Way to go TAT. You have another winner on your hands.

The Thailand Elite Card never came with a right to buy land in Thailand. Before the initial launch there were talk that it might do (I think it was included in the pre-launch brochures), but it was never implemented.

Sophon

Edited by Sophon

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't recall anyone having problems with the visa. I think you misheard the bar talk. It was a simple process of going to immigration within Thailand with your card, the visa sticker was placed in the passport and job done.

I'm not saying its a fact, I'm saying that I do recall reading from people on this forum WHO HAD ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE CARD and subsequently been unable to renew the 5 year visa.

I was not aware that immigration in Thailand were in a position to issue any visas, ever. I thought they only issued extensions to existing visas. Has ANYONE here ever been issued a visa in Thailand ? except of course the limited visa on arrival.

Yes, I have a card, I am on my Second visa.

Again, I'll repeat...... You initially enter on a tourist visa / exemption then go to Immigration within Thailand and simply get the sticker in your passport, When mine expired I simply went back and got a new 5 year one.

No myths, No lies, no Bartalk.

Thats what I did !

I can't recall anyone having problems with the visa. I think you misheard the bar talk. It was a simple process of going to immigration within Thailand with your card, the visa sticker was placed in the passport and job done.

I'm not saying its a fact, I'm saying that I do recall reading from people on this forum WHO HAD ACTUALLY BOUGHT THE CARD and subsequently been unable to renew the 5 year visa.

I was not aware that immigration in Thailand were in a position to issue any visas, ever. I thought they only issued extensions to existing visas. Has ANYONE here ever been issued a visa in Thailand ? except of course the limited visa on arrival.

Again, I'll repeat...... You initially enter on a tourist visa / exemption then go to Immigration within Thailand and simply get the sticker in your passport, When mine expired I simply went back and got a new 5 year one.

Thats what I did !

Thank you for clearing that up. Just out of interest do you have a choice of visa type T/O/B etc or is it a special visa type for cardholders?

tsk tsk such negativity. I believe that this will be another TAT resounding success, one which will most likely exceed its targeted projection and bring in a new demographic of quality tourists, and not the usual riff raff.

I disagree. Make it three million and cancel the visa, golf and spas if you want a real winner...

Thailand to Relaunch Elite Card
BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand is planning a global relaunch of the Thailand Elite Card in June.
The Thailand Elite card project is designed to attract high net worth individuals and encourage them to make repeat visits to Thailand, whether for business or leisure.
TAT and Thailand Privilege Card (TPC) are projecting about 1,300 new members within the first year after the launch, with about half expected before the end of 2013. The countries targetted in the first phase of the membership drive are China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, Russia, and the ASEAN and Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) countries.
Under the revamped membership terms and conditions, cardholders will be able to join up for an initial down payment fee of two million Baht followed by a 20,000 Baht annual fee over a 20-year validity period. Cardholders will be eligible for a five-year Multiple Entry Visa to Thailand and a one-year stay privilege per visit.
They will also be able to avail of the Thailand Elite Personal Assistance (EPL) at Suvarnabhumi Airport and Phuket Airport, including a fast-track channel at the immigration counters and airport transfers by BMW series 7 limousines. They will also have a 24-hour call centre access for any special assistance.
One of the most important privileges is usage of high-standard, five-star golfing and spa facilities 24 times per calendar year.
Mr. Suraphon Svetasreni, Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, and Chairman of the Board of the Thailand Privilege Card (TPC) said, “The Thailand Elite Card will go a long way towards helping TAT raise the level of visitor arrivals to new heights. It will certainly be good for our luxury hotels, boutique properties, shopping malls and the many niche-market products that we are now focussing on.”
-- ASIATravelTips 2013-05-31

I can hardly wait. I wonder if I can get a discount if I buy in bulk.

Does the card come with a white wash job included?coffee1.gif

Edited by hellodolly

I was not aware that immigration in Thailand were in a position to issue any visa except tourist visa on arrival for qualifying countries (Not UK/Germany/USA/ etc) . I thought they only issued extensions to existing visas. Has ANYONE here ever been issued a visa in Thailand ? except of course the limited visa on arrival.

yes they can and they do. I have had a 5 year TE visa issued in Bangkok, no problems whatsoever. I don't make use of it now because I have another kind of visa (in a new passport) but as I remember the TE visa is called an SE (special entry) visa. Edited by wordchild

Thats what I did !

Thank you for clearing that up. Just out of interest do you have a choice of visa type T/O/B etc or is it a special visa type for cardholders?

Its a special visa, Its the normal sticker but it has a Thai Elite design on it, No doubt they probably wasted millions having rolls and rolls of the things printed. No there is no choice of visa.

I did have a business visa that was about to expire at the time, and as they explained, that would have to be cancelled because I couldnt have 2 active and valid visas at the same time. This was fine for me, They simply wrote cancelled on the business visa and wrote on the new one that it replaced the old visa number.

I know a lot of people knock the Elite sceme but I paid 1m Baht around 6 years ago and I can easily say that I have saved more than that on not having to fly every 90 days, No hotels, No worrying, Never having to worry...... etc

I'm not sure I would pay again at these new prices but for my needs, it has paid for itself already for what I needed it for if I'm honest

even in thailand this will not work, for lanching this they have to change the immigration law, and make a 5 year multi entry visa,

before this is not an official visa type you pay for nothing, and I dont think other goverment accept this type of buying visa,

and for sure only crimminals (weapan and drugdealers) will buy this, if somebody can spend 2 million Baht for nothing, he will fly 1.class anyway and so have premium service at airport anyway, and stay 1 year in thailand? this people stay only some days on 1 place anyway, but if soe countrys are looking for you it is good to know that thailand is a save heaven, they shoud offer ASSAD & family this cards, this means 300 cards would be sold in 1 day :P

even in thailand this will not work, for lanching this they have to change the immigration law, and make a 5 year multi entry visa,

before this is not an official visa type you pay for nothing, and I dont think other goverment accept this type of buying visa,

and for sure only crimminals (weapan and drugdealers) will buy this, if somebody can spend 2 million Baht for nothing, he will fly 1.class anyway and so have premium service at airport anyway, and stay 1 year in thailand? this people stay only some days on 1 place anyway, but if soe countrys are looking for you it is good to know that thailand is a save heaven, they shoud offer ASSAD & family this cards, this means 300 cards would be sold in 1 day tongue.png

Thai Elite has been in operation for years, they already changed the immigration law to accommodate it. This isn't a totally new scheme.

As for other Countries and "buying Visas" as you put it. Malaysia also has a scheme that allows people to "by Visas" as you say. Its called Second Home or something.

You may or may not be a "criminals (weapan and drugdealers)" but I certainly was not at the time, and I am not now.

That was a rather narrow minded comment.

Edited by EmptyMind

and for sure only crimminals (weapan and drugdealers) will buy this, if somebody can spend 2 million Baht for nothing, he will fly 1.class anyway and so have premium service at airport anyway, and stay 1 year in thailand? this people stay only some days on 1 place anyway, but if soe countrys are looking for you it is good to know that thailand is a save heaven, they shoud offer ASSAD & family this cards, this means 300 cards would be sold in 1 day tongue.png

Despite having 3 members here posting, that they actually have the 5 year multi-entry visa, issued by immigration in Thailand, ofcourse SiggiCM and his barstoolfriends know better!! whistling.gif

AS this is a waste of time, I'll get my coat.

Thai Elite has been in operation for years, they already changed the immigration law to accommodate it. This isn't a totally new scheme.

As for other Countries and "buying Visas" as you put it. Malaysia also has a scheme that allows people to "by Visas" as you say. Its called Second Home or something.

You may or may not be a "criminals (weapan and drugdealers)" but I certainly was not at the time, and I am not now.

Do you still have to do 90 day report and get /pay for reentry permits with your 5 year visa?

It's ironic, isn't it? The people who already have the cards aren't posting anything negative about it in the thread.

maybe because they are too busy correcting the inaccurate, ill informed nonsense that always seems to get trotted out whenever this topic comes up on here. Edited by wordchild

"TAT and Thailand Privilege Card (TPC) are projecting about 1,300 new members within the first year after the launch, with about half expected before the end of 2013."

Will all or at least most of the new 1300 "elite" members be complimentary (free) to foreign friends of the Thai politicians?

"payment fee of two million Baht followed by a 20,000 Baht annual fee over a 20-year validity period."

That's 2,400,000 baht, $80,000 or 61,000 Euros. Can't see how any "elite" is ever going to come even close to getting that value in services over a 20 year period. First/business class tickets with the perks, limo rentals and pay as you go for golf and spas makes a lot more sense and would cost less. I doubt most "elites" will find the 5 year visa of much interest. Seems that there are many other places that would be of much greater interest for them to want to stay long term. Maybe the Mediterranean, New York, London, Dubai, Hong Kong, Paris or San Francisco as examples.

The original card with the offer of "owning land" was of much greater value, but had little interest because it was outrageously priced at 1,000,000 baht. The thinking behind the new card is beyond absurd!

The Thai mentality: double the price, change from lifetime to 20 years, add a 20,000 baht yearly charge and give much lower benefits-no problem-farang very stupid-Chinese and Russian more stupid, we will sell many cards to them!

It's ironic, isn't it? The people who already have the cards aren't posting anything negative about it in the thread.

maybe because they are too busy correcting the inaccurate, ill informed nonsense that always seems to get trotted out whenever this topic comes up on here.

My buddy has one when it first came out .. I think he's quite happy with it. I didn't buy one 'cause I wasn't sure if I had any long term plan for Thailand.

Now I'm thinking of retiring again (most likely in LoS), I kinda wished I bought one before when it was cheaper and USD was much stronger.

One thing I'm not sure (and may be a deal breaker) is whether I get 1 yr at the airport or whether I have to make a trip to the immigration office once I'm in BKK.

Why and how ironic ?

Maybe we are not posting anything negative because we knew what it was when we bought it, We got what we paid for, and it just worked.

Why make up anything negative which you and other non-members seem to keep making up every 5 mins ?

maybe because they are too busy correcting the inaccurate, ill informed nonsense that always seems to get trotted out whenever this topic comes up on here.

My buddy has one when it first came out .. I think he's quite happy with it. I didn't buy one 'cause I wasn't sure if I had any long term plan for Thailand.

Now I'm thinking of retiring again (most likely in LoS), I kinda wished I bought one before when it was cheaper and USD was much stronger.

One thing I'm not sure (and may be a deal breaker) is whether I get 1 yr at the airport or whether I have to make a trip to the immigration office once I'm in BKK.

I dont think a 30 min trip to immigration would really be a deal breaker ?

Do you still have to do 90 day report and get /pay for reentry permits with your 5 year visa?

You need to do the 90 day report, if you have remained incountry , no need for exit/re-entry permits when you leave. That is as I recall but,as I said above, I no longer use mine so it may have changed. Edited by wordchild

Yes but sticking a form in an envelope and posting it every 3 months isn't exactly hard work for the 90 day reports.

You dont need a re-entry permit.

Why and how ironic ?

Maybe we are not posting anything negative because we knew what it was when we bought it, We got what we paid for, and it just worked.

Why make up anything negative which you and other non-members seem to keep making up every 5 mins ?

I see my satirical comment flew right over EmptyMind ... understandable.

They will also be entitled to use the Thailand Elite Personal Assistance service at Suvarnabhumi Airport and Phuket Airport

At Phuket Airport this means the taxi or tuk tuk driver who assaults you for querying the 2000 baht fare for a 10 minute journey is only allowed to enlist the help of one of his mates instead of three to give you a good kicking.......

I seem to recall that a lot of the fuss last time was that people bought the card and were subsequently refused a visa. It seems that there are (or were) a lot of conditions attached to the 5 year visa beyond merely buying into the scheme.

I can just imagine the consulate/embassy saying "Sorry Mr, you not understand" when applying for the visa.

Your recalling "a lot of fuss" is simply not correct! No additional conditions whatsoever. The 5 year visas are issued by immigration in Thailand and not by any consulate/embassy abroad.

I know this is a "hate the rich" thread, but at least get your facts straight!

You must be short of memory

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/555486-thailand-elite-card-tat-hopes-to-present-revamped-project-to-cabinet-by-end-of-may/?p=5773405

There was even a time period they were unable to issue new visas to those that needed them and members were told to get tourist visas.

Why and how ironic ?

I see my satirical comment flew right over EmptyMind ... understandable.

LOL - No I did get what you meant - It's just annoying that whenever this Thai Elite thread pops up it raises the heads of the "IT'S A SCAM BRIGADE" :)

1. It's been running for years.

2. Members got what they paid for.

3. Yes a disclamer said some services may be withdrawn and they were.

This was all made clear at the time of purchase so how it's a scam I just don't know.

I'm sure many more posts will follow.

I seem to recall that a lot of the fuss last time was that people bought the card and were subsequently refused a visa. It seems that there are (or were) a lot of conditions attached to the 5 year visa beyond merely buying into the scheme.

I can just imagine the consulate/embassy saying "Sorry Mr, you not understand" when applying for the visa.

Your recalling "a lot of fuss" is simply not correct! No additional conditions whatsoever. The 5 year visas are issued by immigration in Thailand and not by any consulate/embassy abroad.

I know this is a "hate the rich" thread, but at least get your facts straight!

You must be short of memory

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/555486-thailand-elite-card-tat-hopes-to-present-revamped-project-to-cabinet-by-end-of-may/?p=5773405

There was even a time period they were unable to issue new visas to those that needed them and members were told to get tourist visas.

What I don't understand is, You have not got the card, you dont want the card, you dont like the card. Fair enough ......

Why even reply to this thread to only stir people up ?