Thailand Elite Card To Be Relaunched In June

webfact

I'm daft today ... so for 2 million baht I can play golf and go to the spa 24 times a year in Thailand?!? Do I still have to pay for the golf and spa?

Now of course the one year stay is compelling, I can come to Thailand and stay for a year, then go to Cambodia for a day then come back to Thailand and stay for another year and I can do this 3 more times. All that just for giving the Thai government about $75,000 to play with for 20 years!

What a deal can I sign up for two cards!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm daft today ... so for 2 million baht I can play golf and go to the spa 24 times a year in Thailand?!? Do I still have to pay for the golf and spa?

Now of course the one year stay is compelling, I can come to Thailand and stay for a year, then go to Cambodia for a day then come back to Thailand and stay for another year and I can do this 3 more times. All that just for giving the Thai government about $75,000 to play with for 20 years!

I think you are a little confused.

Its was a lifetime membership, now 20 years I think.

You can stay for 1 year without leaving and then as before get another 1 year stamp without leaving the country.

So basically you can stay for 20 years without having to leave every 90 days (edit)which would happen if you were living on tourist visas(edit)

Hope that helps,

Edited by EmptyMind

You can stay for 1 year without leaving and then as before get another 1 year stamp without leaving the country.

So basically you can stay for 20 years without having to leave every 90 days (edit)which would happen if you were living on tourist visas(edit)

Hope that helps,

That is if the Democrats are not back in power a year after you paid your 2 million laugh.png

Sorry, another Elite member said that the Democrats are gone .clap2.gif

Edited by jbrain

Hope that helps,

Well I don't think I'm confused,

Cardholders will be eligible for a five-year Multiple Entry Visa to Thailand and a one-year stay privilege per visit.

So the way I read it is, you can get a five year multiple entry visa, which means you can come and go for as many times as you like within a 5 year period and you can stay for up to a year on each visit. Which is a far cry from being able to stay for 20 years.

Also, I never confused a lifetime membership with a 20 year membership. I said ... Thai government about $75,000 to play with for 20 years!

In any case, I was being sarcastic.

I can understand why the holders of the Thai Elite Card are quite happy with it. They got more than their moneys worth and the taxpayer stepped in and bailed out the whole scheme.

It is quite obvious to see that the promised privileges cannot be covered by the 2 Mio THB and the annual 20.000 THB fee. A golf and spa addict could blow the whole money in 5-10 years on annual 2 week holidays. and this does not consider the fixed costs for this scam. Office rent, 24/7 helpdesk multi language, limo service etc. will be eating at least 50% so the money will be gone even earlier. 5 star luxury for a measly 20.000 THB per year is not sustainable. Oh, and this does not include the inflation rate for the next 20 years.

And let's not forget the officially admitted 30-50% skim off due to corruption.

I personally believe that this card is as much a no-brainer as the rice pledging. Beneficial for a small group but costly for the majority.

I can understand why the holders of the Thai Elite Card are quite happy with it. They got more than their moneys worth and the taxpayer stepped in and bailed out the whole scheme.

It is quite obvious to see that the promised privileges cannot be covered by the 2 Mio THB and the annual 20.000 THB fee. A golf and spa addict could blow the whole money in 5-10 years on annual 2 week holidays. and this does not consider the fixed costs for this scam. Office rent, 24/7 helpdesk multi language, limo service etc. will be eating at least 50% so the money will be gone even earlier. 5 star luxury for a measly 20.000 THB per year is not sustainable. Oh, and this does not include the inflation rate for the next 20 years.

And let's not forget the officially admitted 30-50% skim off due to corruption.

I personally believe that this card is as much a no-brainer as the rice pledging. Beneficial for a small group but costly for the majority.

Did you see this thread earlier today?

Democrats reveal discrepancies in education budget

Now wait till they get to the Elite card budget laugh.png

Edited by jbrain

One million for a convenient visa?

In the early days some saw this as a bargain !

Two million nowadays?... still is a good deal for an even more convenient visa.

Well it depends on your perspective, of course...

It's only 1/20th of the price of the latest Lamborghini, but about 30.000 times the price of a beer.

It's only 1/100th of what you would pay for an 85 foot yacht, but around 40 times the price of a motorcycle.

It's only 8 times the price of a first class return ticket to Europe, but around 60 times the price of an economy ticket.

It's only twice the price of the latest Bulgari Octo watch, but 1000 times the price of a cheap watch.

You could still wear a cheap watch and be a member of Thailand Elite, of course. Let's be open minded and welcome everyone in the club :)

Elite card ... can only be described as the brainchild of 'coco the clown'. Perhaps somebody should suggest putting TAT and it's motly bunch of scammers back into their box and throw away the key. If you think you can play the same con twice think again. You might aswell put in small print, "this card is only valid when you reach the ripe old age of 100 years and accompanied by both parents"

I can't help but laugh at this. Even if you wanted to buy it, it's not really that good of a deal.

2 million baht + 20,000 a year for 20 years, and they give you a five-year Multiple Entry Visa and a one-year stay privilege per visit. giggle.gif

If they were giving out citizenship with a passport for that price, that would be something of value. But just to stay here without some visa hassles and be an Elite "farang"... no thanks.

The 1 million baht flat fee was decent. They should just roll with that, so long as they uphold their end of the bargain. cheesy.gif

Elite Card Scam v2.0

Why 9,999,999? 8 is the lucky number for Chinese, so 8,888,888 would be more likely to attract Chinese customers I would have thought.

Wrong pricing.

If you charge the Chinese 9,999,999 thb, they will buy it faster than 2,000,000 thb. blink.png

Price reduction is not so Thai appropriate. Price increase in the face of less business activity is.

I fail to see what the fuss is about. I thought most TV members were 'threatening' to take their custom to Cambodia, Malaysia or Vietnam. So, why should they concern themselves with this scheme when their substantial funds will be benefitting Thailand's neighbours?

I guess life could be worse.

If you can't afford one I suppose you could peck about at your keyboard while you balance on your barstool putting the world to rights screaming "I Can't afford this, It MUST be a scam"

Goodnight,

Happy Pecking

You are right. There has been a short moment when the renewal of the visa was a bit unsure.

But that was under the Democrat administration. Apparently the Democrats did not agree with the idea of having wealthy foreigners come to Thailand. So, they wanted to close the program to make space for backpackers and families. Or maybe it was just to upset Thaksin, not sure. I don't think that the reason was to make the Thaivisa members happy, but who knows...

Anyway, don't worry! The Democrats are gone now. The program is safe. It will never happen again. And the Elite members are happy... and I am sure that this good news fills your heart with happiness for them too, right?

smile.png

The renewal a bit unsure ? you mean there were none at all?

So the democrats are gone, away for ever, never to return ?

Sweet dreams my friend, but you could wake up to a cold shower next year or the year thereafter when the democrats are reelected, not to say in a few months after the next coup.

I really think you are making something of nothing. (This issue seems to be very personal to you for some reason.) There was a period when the future of the card was in doubt but even when the Democrats were looking to close the scheme they asked the mgmt of TE to look into ways (incl the issue of other types of visas and repayments) that TE members could be compensated. I know this because I was asked for my views on this at the time.

Both Thai governments seem to have been very concerned about the reaction of Thailand Elite members to changes in the scheme. I saw a list of members once (which was sent to me by accident) and there were some names on there that no Thai govt would want to piss off. its a small group but, in business and political terms, its an influential one.

There may have been a period when the issue of new visas was being delayed but,if there was, it was very short. I read about it (maybe on here) at the time and phoned up (I didn't have a current visa). I was told visas were being issued as normal and when did I want to do it.

To be frank, for me, there has not been a huge value in being a member, my circumstances changed and I had no use for the visa. I was also very unhappy when they abandoned the land purchase right which, in my opinion, was the best bit of the scheme. But I do know a couple of people for whom it has been enormously valuable as it clearly has been to some of the other members who have posted on here. For some reason it seems to be hard for you just to accept that.

Edited by wordchild

Hi guys smile.png

Have fun again with the Thailand Elite subject?

As some know, I am a member of Thailand Elite since the beginning and... I find it just great.

Now with the new 1year per stay rule it will be even better smile.png

I love Thailand Elite smile.png

Well boys and girls, it would seem it's not just Thais who don't like to lose face! smile.png

New 1 year stay ?

I get that now...1 year, no more no less.

Not cost 2 million nor 20k a year.

You are right. There has been a short moment when the renewal of the visa was a bit unsure.

But that was under the Democrat administration. Apparently the Democrats did not agree with the idea of having wealthy foreigners come to Thailand. So, they wanted to close the program to make space for backpackers and families. Or maybe it was just to upset Thaksin, not sure. I don't think that the reason was to make the Thaivisa members happy, but who knows...

Anyway, don't worry! The Democrats are gone now. The program is safe. It will never happen again. And the Elite members are happy... and I am sure that this good news fills your heart with happiness for them too, right?

Posted Image

Sweet dreams my friend, but you could wake up to a cold shower next year or the year thereafter when the democrats are reelected, not to say in a few months after the next coup.

I really think you are making something of nothing. (This issue seems to be very personal to you for some reason.) There was a period when the future of the card was in doubt but even when the Democrats were looking to close the scheme they asked the mgmt of TE to look into ways (incl the issue of other types of visas and repayments) that TE members could be compensated. I know this because I was asked for my views on this at the time.

Both Thai governments seem to have been very concerned about the reaction of Thailand Elite members to changes in the scheme. I saw a list of members once (which was sent to me by accident) and there were some names on there that no Thai govt would want to piss off. its a small group but, in business and political terms, its an influential one.

There may have been a period when the issue of new visas was being delayed but,if there was, it was very short. I read about it (maybe on here) at the time and phoned up (I didn't have a current visa). I was told visas were being issued as normal and when did I want to do it.

To be frank, for me, there has not been a huge value in being a member, my circumstances changed and I had no use for the visa. I was also very unhappy when they abandoned the land purchase right which, in my opinion, was the best bit of the scheme. But I do know a couple of people for whom it has been enormously valuable as it clearly has been to some of the other members who have posted on here. For some reason it seems to be hard for you just to accept that.

Are the old cards transfererable? If so maybe sell it :D

I'm sure some posting here would like one.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Developers enlisted to resurrect Elite Card

BANGKOK: -- Yet another attempt is being made to get one of Thailands best-known dead ducks fly again.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), sole owner of TPC, is in talks with three major developers to select one as a partner.

TPC has set a target to sell at least 200 co-branded membership cards with the developer over the next six months.

Marketing and sales for the co-branded card will begin next month. Co-branded cardholders must be individuals and are required to invest in Thai properties.

The not-so-subtle difference between investing in property and owning property.

:cheesy:

Which property developer reaps the benefits? SC Assets?

Edited by Steve9

smile.png

Are the old cards transfererable? If so maybe sell it biggrin.png

I'm sure some posting here would like one.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

thanks for the thought. I am not sure if they are transferable (don't think they are) but in any event I would keep it. It maybe useful again in the future; certainly if the proposed changes are true (eg no 90 day reporting) then it maybe a better alternative to a retirement visa when I need one. Edited by wordchild

smile.png

Of course the Democrats were wary to close down the Elite card, because they respected the money paid by the members, but they realised it was a loss making scam scheme set up by people who don't mind to lie through their teeth . So be able to continue they started to take a way privileges, and even set up a refund fund .

As for the people no country want to piss off, they ALL got their card for free, there have been news reports about that at the time they were issued to those people..

As for the ( non ) value of the card which you don't seem to grasp. At the time the first card was issued, a foreigner was able to invest 3 million Baht in his OWN condo and on that base got a 1 year investment visa, which could be renewed every year. No money given to strangers wich is never refundable, just money invested in your own property.

At the time the card was issued it was said that you could own 1 Rai of land, something which quickly was changed to 1 Rai held in the name of some Thai company from which you even weren't a shareholder and which in fact by definition is illegal by Thai law, but even that option was removed quickly.

The original option of owning the 1 Rai of land would have been the one and onl;y benefit that would make the card value for money, after that option and many more one after one were removed the card didn't have any vslue anymore.

So today they cut the benefits ebem more and double the price plus a 20.000 Baht yearly fee and you say it has value?

My visa cost 1900 Baht a year and is renewed EVERY year, even after 5 or 20 years at which time it will have cost me a total of 38.000 ( thirty eight thousand) Baht, so tell me again which part of the value I don't grasp.

I guess life could be worse.

If you can't afford one I suppose you could peck about at your keyboard while you balance on your barstool putting the world to rights screaming "I Can't afford this, It MUST be a scam"

Goodnight,

Happy Pecking

The last Elite Card was a scam not because "I can't afford it" but because while some people (cardholders and officials) benefitted from it the taxpayer had to shoulder the huge deficit it produced. You should look at the whole picture, not just at the aspects you liked.

The Elite Card 2.0 will fare no better. The only chance for this repeated idiocy to survive is the hope that most of the card holders quickly lose interest in Thailand and do not claim the "privileges". Otherwise the taxpayer will have to bail the scam out again.

In my opinion a relaunch of the Elite Card is a criminal offence because the Government is willfully squandering taxpayers' money in a plain obvious non self-sustainable scheme.