How Can I Seal These Pots To Put Water Plants And Fish In Them?

My wife recently came home with some plants for inside our house, the type of plant that sits in water, the only problem with that is the water then becomes a breeding ground for mosquitos, so we were going to put little fish in them to eat the larvae, which we have done before, with varying degrees of success(plants dying, fish dying etc), she also came home with some red clay pots which would hold water, according to the shop...

The pots began leaking, unsurprisingly, so my wife went back to the shop and bought some more, this time of the cement type, when she told me about these pots I thought they would be the polished cement type but they weren't, she returned from the shop and they were the rough-finish type, which the shop said again would hold water, but as soon as I filled them up to test them they started leaking, through the entire surface, like sponges.

post-78826-0-09006300-1370074342_thumb.j

We asked a few people how we could seal them, my neighbour suggested silicone, the type which seals the glass panes together in a traditional fish tank, using silicone 'guns', but I can imagine that taking a long time to do and would also work out expensive, she also suggested a type of cement, to line the inside of the pots, which wouldn't kill the fish(apparently the cement they were made from WOULD have killed the fish!

Has anybody got any ideas?

Cool pots! How about go to a hardware store and buy the waterproof/rubbery type paint tilers use for waterproofing bathrooms before they tile. Its designed to be wet and not peel away and would be long lasting. All I can think of.

There are plenty of paint/sealants but you'd have to find one that wasn't toxic to your plants and fish.

Bathtub repair paint? as in for human baths, but since most here are fiberglass now. . .

Probably better to just buy proper pots with a fired surface finish, maybe even test them out before paying for them (fool me once. . .).

• Like 1

Cool pots! How about go to a hardware store and buy the waterproof/rubbery type paint tilers use for waterproofing bathrooms before they tile. Its designed to be wet and not peel away and would be long lasting. All I can think of.

I'll try my hardware shop for that in the morning, thanks! Could be toxic though...

Swimming pool paint would be my first thought, but I haven't a clue where to buy it in Thailand.

And could be expensive too, I think in Thailand they'd use just a waterproof enamel, if anybody was nuts enough to paint their swimming pool ;)

There are plenty of paint/sealants but you'd have to find one that wasn't toxic to your plants and fish.

Bathtub repair paint? as in for human baths, but since most here are fiberglass now. . .

Probably better to just buy proper pots with a fired surface finish, maybe even test them out before paying for them (fool me once. . .).

That's exactly it, one that isn't toxic.

I entrusted my incredibly trusting wife to buy the pots in the first place and as she came home with almost the same as what we'd been using in the past(red clay pots) I thought we'd be ok, so on her second attempt I thought she might have tested the pots instead of trusting the (lying bastard) shopkeeper, but yes, I would have chosen the glazed/fired ones had I gone along!

Have a look at this topic Maidong.

I remember the poster wanting to seal his concrete Koi carp pond and Flintkote #3 was recommended.

If it works for a pond then it should definitely work for your planters.

Chokdee

Shaggy

Thanks for the link Shaggy, seems ok doesn't it, shame it's dark though, we're only going to have those small black fish with metallic green tails(guppies?) and some of the pale orange similar-sized fish but at least the paint will be doing its job, and the fish doing their job too!

I wonder how the stickiness went down with the fish brushing onto the sides though, and also if moss started to grow as that's mostly what our little fish eat anyway...

I remember the poster wanting to seal his concrete Koi carp pond and Flintkote #3 was recommended.

Chokdee

Shaggy

Thanks for the link Shaggy, seems ok doesn't it, shame it's dark though, we're only going to have those small black fish with metallic green tails(guppies?) and some of the pale orange similar-sized fish but at least the paint will be doing its job, and the fish doing their job too!

I wonder how the stickiness went down with the fish brushing onto the sides though, and also if moss started to grow as that's mostly what our little fish eat anyway...

Flintkote is available in many colors.

Chokdee

Shaggy

Flintkote is available in many colors.

Lovely! :)

Hi Maidong,

Theres a new product i have seen, that was used to waterproof a cardboard box(TEST)....the water they put in is still there and the cardboard is dry.

If you want i can check on monday for you and let you know the name....I will pm you when i have...ok?

Chokdee

Shaggy

Just had a potential brain wave (doesn't happen very often whistling.gif )

How about once the planters are painted you press fine sand onto the paint....this would remove the stickiness from the surface and also make it lighter in color.

Hi Maidong,

Theres a new product i have seen, that was used to waterproof a cardboard box(TEST)....the water they put in is still there and the cardboard is dry.

If you want i can check on monday for you and let you know the name....I will pm you when i have...ok?

Did you see that on Grand Desings by any chance? I saw that, but it'd probably be difficult to get here and also difficult to pin down it's suitability for fish, let me know the name of it though, and I'll check it out, that is if I haven't found Flintkote #3 by then :)

Chokdee

Shaggy

Just had a potential brain wave (doesn't happen very often whistling.gif )

How about once the planters are painted you press fine sand onto the paint....this would remove the stickiness from the surface and also make it lighter in color.

Could work, nice idea, I'll see what colours are available first though, as jbrain says it comes in many...

I sealed my Koi pond with Lanko 226 waterproofing cement, was about 250b from Hope Pro and it dries a light grey colour.

124513.jpg

That looks like the one I was talking about....new product around here

could you not just put a plasic bag inside and plant your water plant in that? and you fish,

jake

Stylish, Jake ;)

I sealed my Koi pond with Lanko 226 waterproofing cement, was about 250b from Hope Pro and it dries a light grey colour.

124513.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I'll nab that and take it to HP!

I'll try my hardware shop for that in the morning, thanks! Could be toxic though...

>>Swimming pool paint would be my first thought, but I haven't a clue where to buy it in Thailand.

And could be expensive too, I think in Thailand they'd use just a waterproof enamel, if anybody was nuts enough to paint their swimming pool wink.png

That's exactly it, one that isn't toxic.

I entrusted my incredibly trusting wife to buy the pots in the first place and as she came home with almost the same as what we'd been using in the past(red clay pots) I thought we'd be ok, so on her second attempt I thought she might have tested the pots instead of trusting the (lying bastard) shopkeeper, but yes, I would have chosen the glazed/fired ones had I gone along!

Apparently, there's a good market for nuts who do paint swimming pools... Once again.I don't know where you'd shop in Thailand, but I've never seen a Thai pool left in the unpainted concrete color. And with a Jotun and TOA paint shop on every block in BKK, seems like those may be good places to look.

http://www.lesliespool.com/Home/Pool-and-Deck-Paint/Pool-Paint.html

Edited by impulse

I used the Lanko mentioned to seal a concrete ring pond that leaked. I just troweled a light coat everywhere inside. Very satisfied with the results and I believe it is even approved for water potable applications. Highly recommend.

Jake's rather simple solution was discounted as 'stylish' by the OP. But you can but loads of white or clear bin liners at Makro (for example) and if the algae build up is beyond the little fishes eating capacity and the pot turns green inside, just replace the bin liner.

You can get a whole lotta bin liners for 250 baht as well.

PS. Has the OP asked the little fish if they like light or dark coloured walls in their prison?

• Like 1

It's hard to understand why disadvantageous suggestions are being offered after cheap, easy, and readily available solutions are already recommended.

you can but loads of white or clear bin liners at Makro (for example) and if the algae build up is beyond the little fishes eating capacity and the pot turns green inside, just replace the bin liner.

Can't see the logic in this. Such plastic deteriorates quickly by sun alone and will leak. It is also a waste of plastic and requires routine maintenance that should be totally unnecessary. A balanced pond never gets too much algae growth and judging by the many container ponds I have seen in Thailand as well as my own it is really easy to let nature handle this job.

What about painting the inside of the pots with good old fashioned varnish?

Sounds detrimental to pond life, even if it stops leaks which it may fail to do anyway.

Jake's rather simple solution was discounted as 'stylish' by the OP. But you can but loads of white or clear bin liners at Makro (for example) and if the algae build up is beyond the little fishes eating capacity and the pot turns green inside, just replace the bin liner.

You can get a whole lotta bin liners for 250 baht as well.

PS. Has the OP asked the little fish if they like light or dark coloured walls in their prison?

Thanks for your most helpful contribution smile.png

Apparently, there's a good market for nuts who do paint swimming pools... Once again.I don't know where you'd shop in Thailand, but I've never seen a Thai pool left in the unpainted concrete color. And with a Jotun and TOA paint shop on every block in BKK, seems like those may be good places to look.

I must have lived too long in (cold) countries with very few swimming pools because I've never swam in a pool that isn't entirely lined with tiles... But back to my main concern however, the fish. Any Jotun or TOA would probably kill the fish in an hour.

It's hard to understand why disadvantageous suggestions are being offered after cheap, easy, and readily available solutions are already recommended.

you can but loads of white or clear bin liners at Makro (for example) and if the algae build up is beyond the little fishes eating capacity and the pot turns green inside, just replace the bin liner.

Can't see the logic in this. Such plastic deteriorates quickly by sun alone and will leak. It is also a waste of plastic and requires routine maintenance that should be totally unnecessary. A balanced pond never gets too much algae growth and judging by the many container ponds I have seen in Thailand as well as my own it is really easy to let nature handle this job.

>

What about painting the inside of the pots with good old fashioned varnish?

Sounds detrimental to pond life, even if it stops leaks which it may fail to do anyway.

Exactly, as soon as I get some time, hopefully early this week, I'll get some Lanko, knock it up, slap it on, and hopefully it'll be the kind of finish we were originally after. I quite liked the sound of Flintkote but it would possibly change the finished look from cement to a more clinical look, which my little prisoners may not appreciate, eh NanLaew rolleyes.gif

Apparently, there's a good market for nuts who do paint swimming pools...

And I've never seen a swimming pool left as raw unfinished concrete, wouldn't that be liable to flay the kiddie's skin?

Not to mention ugly.

Then again, paint doesn't guarantee beauty, I prefer blue-green myself, but apparently this is a prize-winning design:

GP_2012051808253418082534.jpg

Edited by GottaGo

Apparently, there's a good market for nuts who do paint swimming pools...

And I've never seen a swimming pool left as raw unfinished concrete, wouldn't that be liable to flay the kiddie's skin?

Not to mention ugly.

Then again, paint doesn't guarantee beauty, I prefer blue-green myself, but apparently this is a prize-winning design:

GP_2012051808253418082534.jpg

That's beautiful, makes me feel hot though...

Got my Lanko 226, I found a PDF with instructions here, amongst the instructions it says 'shading can be adjusted by mixing grey and white powder', I wonder what powder they mean?... I would love to get a light grey finish but I think by the colour of the product in the tub it'll be quite dark grey, any ideas what powder I could use?

Got my Lanko 226, I found a PDF with instructions here, amongst the instructions it says 'shading can be adjusted by mixing grey and white powder', I wonder what powder they mean?... I would love to get a light grey finish but I think by the colour of the product in the tub it'll be quite dark grey, any ideas what powder I could use?

From the pdf file (translated by Google):

Tar sand for mortar to prevent leakage. Kind of flexibility.

Special features.

- Flexibility, resistance to cracking as well.

- Both internal and external.

- Non-toxic.

- There are two colors: gray and white.