Working While Waiting For Ilr In Uk

Hi All,

Does anyone know if my thai wife can continue to work in the UK after the expiry date of her two year marriage visa whilst awaiting the outcome of her application for indefinite leave to remain?

Her application for ILR was received by UKBA at the begining of May so there is the possibility that she may not receive an answer before her visa expires on 2 July.

I have read that her immigration status remains the same whilst awaiting the outcome of her application so I would assume that she can continue to work but her boss seems to think this is not the case. I tried to call the ukba yesterday but gave up after holding for over an hour!

Hope someone can help.

From How to apply for settlement from inside the UK

What is my immigration status while my application is being decided?

If you make an application before your authorised stay ends, your existing immigration status will continue until your application is decided, even if the decision is not made until after the end of your permitted stay. You can continue to work until your case is decided if the conditions of your existing leave allows you to do so.

(My emphasis)

My wife's employers asked her about her status as the visa had expired and she just took in the letter from UKBA you get when they accept your application and that was good enough, she works for a large retailer and there use to UKBA taking their time with this kind of thing and there wasn't a problem.

Andy