Best Position For Aircon Outside Unit On A Balcony...

The front can even be covered with louvres...

...to restrict in/out airflow?

Naam, good man, relax. smile.png

Things like this do exist; actually it's quite common. You can calculate the air flow to ensure its sufficient. Good louvres also reduces noise pollution in addition to aesthetic considerations.

I'll post some nice pictures next week, so you can see some current designs of louvres and condenser units.

modern compressor/condenser units are not noisy. louvers can only work if intake and exhaust are completely separated to avoid an air mix. louvers may look more aesthetic but they are hampering efficiency.

Here a good example from Pak Kret City: condensers units in a designated space behind louvres.

technical bullsh..! most probably designed by Karl Lagerfeld or similar fashion clowns.

l-dog%20small.jpg

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

Here a good example from Pak Kret City: condensers units in a designated space behind louvres.

technical bullsh..! most probably designed by Karl Lagerfeld or similar fashion clowns.

l-dog%20small.jpg

Lagerfeld in Pak Kret.. now you're making it better than it probably is wink.png

Sample calculations I've seen suggest that's technically possible. Note the units are all on the floor and there is a lot of space above.

Edited by Morakot

l-dog%20small.jpg

Lagerfeld in Pak Kret.. now you're making it better than it probably is wink.png

Sample calculations I've seen suggest that's technically possible. Note the units are all on the floor and there is a lot of space above.

it doesn't make much sense to discuss something one can't see. show me a picture without louvers and i might withdraw "Lagerfeld". if there is a lot of space above that creates a chimney effect it might work. but this is quite a big building which requires quite a number of either single or several big units. actually i doubt that airconditioning is carried out with individual units. to me it looks like a commercial building which requires central airconditioning except... if planned by assitects. actually... the roof looks as if planned by assitects with a touch of Lagerfeld and Coco Chanel after having had unsatisfactory sex.

laugh.png

Picture two: I see two condenser units on top of each other, second floor.

now i see them too. evidence that my initial assumption "assitects" was correct.

Modus vivendi

assitects = beati pauperes spiritu... laugh.png

• 4 months later...

For our problem we found a semi-professional solution:

333aircon1.jpeg

These wind blow direction adjusters cost 1000 Baht incl. work to mount it and they are really effective...

Of course on our other unit I ordered the aircon company against all advice's from khon thai to position the outside unit in the right way:

812aircon2.jpeg

Do those "wind blow direction adjusters" affect the efficiency of the heat exchange? Just wondering if there is any air flow reduction or energy wasted somehow from the air hitting the vanes and bouncing off. (Professor Naam, are you reading?)

Two of my condo's compressors are situated such that I get blasted with hot air when I go out on the balcony. In fact, one of the compressors has a wide enough air movement area that it heats up an adjacent glass patio door a bit. If there were no loss to the air con's efficiency, it would be nice to deflect the air flow like shown above.

I guess the "wind blow direction adjusters" of course affect the wind blow a little bit. Therefore the outside unit of the air conditioner sucks in air that is a lot cooler compensating the little lower windspeed by far. We can really feel a huge difference in temperature on the balcony now whilst the air-conditioner is operated.