Blue Canyon Golf Club Phuket - Overpriced And Overrated

Buckeye21

I've played nearly all the golf courses in Phuket and yes most of them are not cheap to play but they still offer a beautiful course, knowledgeable caddies and a fun day with the exception of Blue Canyon. I've been fortunate enough to play golf around the world and have seen the good the bad and the ugly courses but the prices that BC charge compared to the value is ridiculous.

The course was in horrible condition (this was in high season last year) the caddies didn't seem to care much and they we're always looking for a handout.The pro shop staff were only interested in their mobile phones and when I met the GM of the course I was shocked he was working at BC when a mini putt course seemed like a better fit for him.

Red Mountain/Loch Palm and Laguna are much more enjoyable and worth the money in my eyes.

Im curious as to what others think?

Next time go to surat thani and play golf at rajaprapha golfcourse near the dam. Value for money. Need a buggy though.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try and check out the course if I'm in that area. I played Laem Chabang Golf and County Club just outside of Pattaya, fun course to play and they have lights for night golf. I was in an evening tournament there and it was dark but with the lights you could still easily play and not lose a ball in the fairway like other night golf courses.

I've played at Blue Canyon and Loch Palm many times and they are both massively overpriced but that's par for the course in Phuket. I love the layout at Loch Palm but the maintenance is irregular. I've played in great shape and other times, it's so so. Same goes with caddies...

Blue Canyon has always been a notch above Loch Palm both with staff, facilities and maintenance. They don't allow mickey mouse things like five some and they manage tee times better. The Lakes course maintenance/greens are not as good as the Canyon course. The Canyon is a proper golf course with no carts allowed, the greens have always been true and fast. Like many businesses in Thailand, there's been some funky stuff happening in recent times and last year there was a situation with carts that took a while to sort out.

I don't envy golfers living in Phuket. Many of the courses are so so and not run like one would expect for what they charge. That being said, it's pretty typical stuff for clubs located in high tourist areas.

I've played at Blue Canyon and Loch Palm many times and they are both massively overpriced but that's par for the course in Phuket. I love the layout at Loch Palm but the maintenance is irregular. I've played in great shape and other times, it's so so. Same goes with caddies...

Blue Canyon has always been a notch above Loch Palm both with staff, facilities and maintenance. They don't allow mickey mouse things like five some and they manage tee times better. The Lakes course maintenance/greens are not as good as the Canyon course. The Canyon is a proper golf course with no carts allowed, the greens have always been true and fast. Like many businesses in Thailand, there's been some funky stuff happening in recent times and last year there was a situation with carts that took a while to sort out.

I don't envy golfers living in Phuket. Many of the courses are so so and not run like one would expect for what they charge. That being said, it's pretty typical stuff for clubs located in high tourist areas.

I've talked to a few golfers in Phuket who have said that they wouldn't risk buying a membership to Blue Canyon due to an unsettled ownership situation. Anyone have any insight about this?

I've talked to a few golfers in Phuket who have said that they wouldn't risk buying a membership to Blue Canyon due to an unsettled ownership situation. Anyone have any insight about this?

A friend of mine is a long time member at BC and he was telling me a couple of weeks ago that he was looking to get out.

While I was working for a golf company in Phuket I got to know a few of the golf pro's (foreigners) and they didn't have many good things to say about the way BC was run and managed. Apparently no money was being out back into the course itself and no upgrades are planned to an already aging clubhouse. The course use to host a Johnny Walker golf tournament but they have moved on from BC to other courses due to the lack of upkeep and maintenance. Overall the course just doesn't seem willing or interested in keeping up with the other courses on the island.

Edited by Buckeye21

I have never been to Blue canyon so obviously I can not comment on whether it is a good idea to buy membership, I have played Loch Palm, Phuket country club(old course, and the 9 hole lakes course, I and my playing partners were very disappointed with the condition and the poor service from provided from all aspects of these top golf courses, even if I were very wealthy I would not waste my money on membership of any golf course here on Phuket, now Black mountain(Hui Hin is a different ball game all together, fantastic condition, fantastic service from every part of this amazing complex!!

I have never been to Blue canyon so obviously I can not comment on whether it is a good idea to buy membership, I have played Loch Palm, Phuket country club(old course, and the 9 hole lakes course, I and my playing partners were very disappointed with the condition and the poor service from provided from all aspects of these top golf courses, even if I were very wealthy I would not waste my money on membership of any golf course here on Phuket, now Black mountain(Hui Hin is a different ball game all together, fantastic condition, fantastic service from every part of this amazing complex!!

Is Black Mountain the course where the golfers get a "drink caddy" an attractive Thai girl that joins the group to ensure the golfer are always refreshed? A friend of mine was telling me about a course in Hua Hin that has offers this, their golf knowledge isn't the greatest but apparently they are all beauties.

Might have to check that out myself. I've heard this time of year you can get a round of golf and one nights stay for 2100 Baht.

Is Black Mountain the course where the golfers get a "drink caddy" an attractive Thai girl that joins the group to ensure the golfer are always refreshed? A friend of mine was telling me about a course in Hua Hin that has offers this, their golf knowledge isn't the greatest but apparently they are all beauties.

Might have to check that out myself. I think this time of year you can get a round of golf and one night stay for 2100 Baht.

• Like 1

When I played, there was no sign of a so called drink caddie! Lets face it there is probably only a handful of caddies in this country that know anything about golf!!

Might have to check that out myself. I've heard this time of year you can get a round of golf and one nights stay for 2100 Baht.

Might have to check that out myself. I think this time of year you can get a round of golf and one night stay for 2100 Baht.

Not sure about deals at Black mountain, it is an awesome golf course, it is so pristine it is unbelievable!! The caddies were good but there etiquette was poor, caddies in this country are poor!! it's something you have to put up with!! Phuket golf courses are geared up to cater for tourists and the service is very poor, they know falang will not complain!!

I'll check with my friend who's played there and was telling me about them and see if he remembers the name of the course. He said it was similar to being at at a massage parlour where the girls lined up and you picked the one you liked, she had next no golf knowledge but always kept a drink in his hand. He didn't ask about seeing her after the round but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they meet some customers of their own.

I'll check with my friend who's played there and was telling me about them and see if he remembers the name of the course. He said it was similar to being at at a massage parlour where the girls lined up and you picked the one you liked, she had next no golf knowledge but always kept a drink in his hand. He didn't ask about seeing her after the round but I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they meet some customers of their own.

Yes I do believe many people go to a golf course purely to meet cute caddies!! I would rather play golf!!

It's a nice bonus when your playing at a good golf course ;-)

Yes it's always nice to have pretty things around whilst you are doing something you love, when I play my mind is on golf not the cute thing lagging 100 yes behind!!

Never see the " drink caddy" at Black mountain . I played there maybe 15 /20 times. Must admit haven't been there for 9 months or so. Maybe your friend hired an extra caddy as well as the compulsory 1 that he had to take.

Anyway enjoy your golf, if you get to HH have a round at Black Mountain & make sure you get a game at Banyan as well. IMO is the better of the 2 courses. Again to each their own.

Not sure about deals at Black mountain, it is an awesome golf course, it is so pristine it is unbelievable!! The caddies were good but there etiquette was poor, caddies in this country are poor!! it's something you have to put up with!! Phuket golf courses are geared up to cater for tourists and the service is very poor, they know falang will not complain!!

http://www.huahingolffestival.com/packages.php

Think it can be had cheaper.

Golf festival in Hua Hin in August and September. You can play very nice courses like Springfield, Majestic or Sea Pines for 1000Baht.

BM and Banyan are nice but a bit more expensive. Still much better value than anything in Phuket.

You can also drive up to Kanchanaburi and play nice and even cheaper courses. Royal Ratchaburi being a great choice.

Hua Hin gang going up there soon posted on another board: So 4 rounds of golf for 2750B. all in , bargain!!!

I don't know why anyone that loves golf would ever live in Phuket...It's the worst value in Thailand for it.

Edited by valrhona

Golf festival in Hua Hin in August and September. You can play very nice courses like Springfield, Majestic or Sea Pines for 1000Baht.

BM and Banyan are nice but a bit more expensive. Still much better value than anything in Phuket.

You can also drive up to Kanchanaburi and play nice and even cheaper courses. Royal Ratchaburi being a great choice.

Hua Hin gang going up there soon posted on another board: So 4 rounds of golf for 2750B. all in , bargain!!!

I don't know why anyone that loves golf would ever live in Phuket...It's the worst value in Thailand for it.

Yes you are right, golf courses on Phuket offer very expensive green fees not backed up by great service!!

Yes you are right, golf courses on Phuket offer very expensive green fees not backed up by great service!!

Is that at Evergreen? Think I might have posted that. Blue Sapphire is really cheap now too. 400 Baht weekdays, unlimited golf and 600 Baht weekends. Caddie fee 300 per 18 holes. I'll be going down there soon..

I believe it's a combination of Blue Sapphire and Ocean. Nichigo also has similar pricing. I'm doing Chiang Mai in a couple of weeks catching the tail end of the festival there. Playing Royal and Alpine for 1000Baht... Not super cheap but nice courses.

Edited by valrhona
  • Like 1

I'm a member at Blue Canyon and while the course maintenance went off for a while it is gradually improving again though still not as good as in the glory days.

As far as I understand the ownership situation was resolved a year or two ago but the owners are trying to either bring in new investors or sell.

Although it is still not back to its best, the Lake's and Canyon courses are still the best courses on the island and only Red Mountain runs them close.