Thailand Backpacker Visa Info Reqd For Travel To Laos, Cambodia Etc

Ok so my head is about to explode with all the information I have been reading, so basically I am flying into Bangkok from Dublin in July with my friend, we will be there approx 6 weeks, I would like to go to neighbouring countries specifically Cambodia and Laos and possibly considering a flight to Singapore and maybe visit Vietnam and Burma while im in Northern Thailand.

So from what I can see is that I can get a 60 day tourist visa, but I cant see how to apply for a multiple entry visa.. do i have to have this visa before I arrive in Thailand or do I take the completed form and info required?

And what about the other countries I am visiting, will I also need to apply for visas for these countries beforehand or can it be done at the border control?

Thanks

Neil

There is no such thing as a multi entry tourist visa - that is for non immigrant visas only. You do not need more than a single entry if you will be traveling a lot as you will be able to obtain 30 days entry on any air entry and 15 days on any land entry so will a little planning the single entry (to be sure there is no air boarding issue for initial entry from Europe) should be all you need. If you want to be prepared you ask for a two or three tourist visa entry paying 2x or 3x the price and the specific number of entries is entered on the normal tourist visa.

• Like 1

every country on ur list ( except Singapore) will require a visa

laos, ( $30-35), Thailand ( free 30 days on arrival (visa EXEMPT) and Cambodia will give u a visa on arrival ( $20)

Vietnam and Burma u will need a visa in advance or at the least per-approved visa for Vietnam ( UNLESS ur flying from Cambodia to Burma and than u can get a visa on arrival)

Singapore free visa exempt at airport

If you plan your trip a bit, you'll have no problem getting by with the 30 days you get on arrival for free, then the 15 days you get with each border entry. Do your Thai travels first to take advantage of the 30 days, then move on from there.

You've got an extremely aggressive schedule for only having 6 weeks. IMHO, I'd cut out a bit. You could easily spend 4 weeks in Thailand AND 4 weeks in Vietnam. A week or so each for Laos and Cambodia (or more). Burma, if done properly, is also 3-4 weeks. But easy to jump over the border for a day trip if you are in Mae Sot.

I think something like 3 weeks in Thailand followed by a flight onward from there. Maybe to Siem Riep? Then on to Vietnam?

What do you want to see in Laos?

With your limited time, I'd stick to flights. Beware of the dodgy bus services offered by many guest houses and especially the ones on Khao San Road in Bangkok. Many are not really legal and services are very dodgy.

If you are interested, open a new thread in the travel forum asking for help on your itinerary.

The Lonely Planet books are great for helping setup a schedule. They list the top things to do and see. Great for those with limited time. You can probably just check them out at your local library for free.

As he apparently intends to arrive without onward travel for six weeks not having a tourist visa for Thailand could be an issue with airline. Believe his plan to spend 1,000 baht for a tourist visa sound even for backpacking (as percent of cost for a trip half way around the world is very small). If they do not have visa there is a good chance airline will not allow boarding and a last minute ticket purchase may not be something they can easily do.