1,000 Killed In May: Iraq Hit By Worst Wave Of Violence In 5 Years

News_Editor

<p>BAGHDAD, IRAQ (BNO NEWS) -- More than 1,000 people were killed in a wave of violence across Iraq in May, making it the country's deadliest month in more than five years amid fears that widespread sectarian strife will continue to escalate, the United Nations (UN) said on Saturday.

</p>

<p>At least 1,045 Iraqis were killed and another 2,397 were wounded in violence across the country in May, according to figures released by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI). The number of fatalities includes 782 civilians, 181 civilian police officers, and 82 members of the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF).

</p>

<p>The monthly figures are the worst in more than five years and includes May 27 when a wave of bombings killed 75 people and injured 200 hundreds at markets and Shi'ite neighborhoods in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad. The Iraqi government put last month's death toll at nearly 700, but UNAMI said its figures are conservative and rely on direct investigation along with credible secondary sources.

</p>

<p>"That is a sad record. Iraqi political leaders must act immediately to stop this intolerable bloodshed," said Martin Kobler, the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative and head of UNAMI. It comes just days after he warned that systemic violence is "ready to explode at any moment" if the country's leaders fail to take immediate action.

</p>

<p>UNAMI said it recorded 560 security incidents across Iraq in May, including 176 incidents involving improvised explosive devices (IEDs), 82 car bombings, and 243 incidents involving small arms fire. Baghdad was the worst affected province last month with 1,817 civilian casualties, including 532 fatalities and 1,285 injured.

</p>

<p>Although violence in Iraq had generally declined dramatically since its peak in 2006 and 2007, political turmoil and sectarian violence has been on the rise following the pullout of the last U.S. soldiers in mid-December 2011. UNAMI said a total of 712 people were killed and 1,633 were wounded in violence across Iraq in April, following 229 fatalities in March.

</p> <p> (Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].) </p>

I'd say the vision didn't work out as initially planned. Time to exit stage left and let the country find a harmony not ever going to be present while we are there. Interesting how this country has responded compared to say a Japan, Germany or even Russia after being decimated by war. Looks like too much of the population has no interest in anything but killing and terrorizing. Not going change under present leadership there.

I'd say the vision didn't work out as initially planned. Time to exit stage left and let the country find a harmony not ever going to be present while we are there. Interesting how this country has responded compared to say a Japan, Germany or even Russia after being decimated by war. Looks like too much of the population has no interest in anything but killing and terrorizing. Not going change under present leadership there.

So it's all gone to a can of worms so 'time to exit stage left and let them find harmony' !! Don't have to worry about it again then, 'well we tried then didn't we' sick.gif

That sounds remarkably similar to what people with an ounce of intelligence said before the invasion. The same people also said 'and as for Afghanistan you do know nobody has EVER successfully occupied it in over 2500 years".....oh never mind then.

Just what was the 'vision' that was going to work? Invade a sovereign territory be directly responsible for over 1 million deaths and hope the locals pat us on the back and say thanks a lot. ?

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

I'd say the vision didn't work out as initially planned. Time to exit stage left

They already have.

31 December 2011 U.S. forces complete their withdrawal from Iraq. No U.S. troops in Iraq. All security responsibilities assumed by the Iraqi Armed Forces and other security agencies, including the Ministry of Interior (Iraq).

Iraq withdrawl

My bad, I thought we still had some security forces assisting theirs.

Okay, so is it a complete failure and no solution in sight? If so, we pretty much decimated and ruined a country all to take out a leader? Nice?

So it's all gone to a can of worms so 'time to exit stage left and let them find harmony' !! Don't have to worry about it again then, 'well we tried then didn't we' sick.gif

That sounds remarkably similar to what people with an ounce of intelligence said before the invasion. The same people also said 'and as for Afghanistan you do know nobody has EVER successfully occupied it in over 2500 years".....oh never mind then.

Just what was the 'vision' that was going to work? Invade a sovereign territory be directly responsible for over 1 million deaths and hope the locals pat us on the back and say thanks a lot. ?

I am in agreement. I don't think there was a vision when this started except revenge, economic opportunity and a way to save face, divert attention and flex our almighty muscles. My vision statement was sarcastic.

I'd say the vision didn't work out as initially planned. Time to exit stage left

They already have.

31 December 2011 U.S. forces complete their withdrawal from Iraq. No U.S. troops in Iraq. All security responsibilities assumed by the Iraqi Armed Forces and other security agencies, including the Ministry of Interior (Iraq).

Iraq withdrawl

Okay, so is it a complete failure and no solution in sight? If so, we pretty much decimated and ruined a country all to take out a leader? Nice?

It is reported that US security agencies do have personel in Iraq providing training/support for Iraqi special forces and intelligence units. I would be surprised if it were otherwise.

There was a report in the Iranian press in late 2012 that 7,000 US army personel returned to Iraq, but was denied by US government. There again it was secret for many years that the CIA had drones based in Saudi Arabia. Officially confirmed that US forces now in Yemen, so really difficult to know fact from fiction.

They already have.

Iraq withdrawl

It is reported that US security agencies do have personel in Iraq providing training/support for Iraqi special forces and intelligence units. I would be surprised if it were otherwise.

There was a report in the Iranian press in late 2012 that 7,000 US army personel returned to Iraq, but was denied by US government. There again it was secret for many years that the CIA had drones based in Saudi Arabia. Officially confirmed that US forces now in Yemen, so really difficult to know fact from fiction.

Careful Simple1. You are implying that the Government may be being economical with the truth at best and downright lying at worst. For some people on here that is a concept too far. If Ulysses and Chuckd read that they will label you as a tin foil hat wearer and demand a credible source of info (which incidentally will never be credible enough).

Edited by metisdead
Corrected spelling mistake of a member's name.

@GentlemanJim: In my opinion, US/NATO usually goes about matters in the M.E. and Muslim majority countries with the best intent. But too many mistakes were/are made and do not appear to have learnt the lessons from the handbook of history or understand a very complex region. US/NATO are not going to address radical Islam and the regional chaos caused by Shiite/Sunni minority dictatorships by committing, then backing out under domestic political pressure and go on to tinker at the edges.

Edited by simple1

@GentlemanJim: In my opinion, US/NATO usually goes about matters in the M.E. and Muslim majority countries with the best intent. But too many mistakes were/are made and do not appear to have learnt the lessons from the handbook of history or understand a very complex region. US/NATO are not going to address radical Islam and the regional chaos caused by Shiite/Sunni minority dictatorships by committing, then backing out under domestic political pressure and go on to tinker at the edges.

Until our governments can sort out the end game. We should stay out of it, cos all that's happened is we make it worse for ourselves..

• Like 1

Until our governments can sort out the end game. We should stay out of it, cos all that's happened is we make it worse for ourselves..

Not forgetting, we also make it much much worse for them, the normal people.

I'd like to see some sense in your post . . . but can't

They already have.

Iraq withdrawl

Nice? Indeed. Nice.

I'd like to see some sense in your post . . . but can't

They already have.

Iraq withdrawl

Nice? Indeed. Nice.

Haha, picking on my posts. I think I was typing this on my iPhone at gym in between sets. I have no idea why I used a ? after nice. Trying to say sucks what we did to that country.

• Like 1

Hundreds of thousands of lives might have been spared if Mr. Wolfowitz had even a basic understanding of the Shia – Sunni rift. Next up give GF a huge raise at the World Bank, and get sh*t-canned? What a putz.

• Like 1

Hundreds of thousands of lives might have been spared if Mr. Wolfowitz had even a basic understanding of the Shia – Sunni rift. Next up give GF a huge raise at the World Bank, and get sh*t-canned? What a putz.

There was proof of WMDs

There was proof of WMDs

There was proof of WMDs

There was proof of WMDs

There was proof of WMDs

There was proof of WMDs

We - umm - had a mandate!

Haha, picking on my posts. I think I was typing this on my iPhone at gym in between sets. I have no idea why I used a ? after nice. Trying to say sucks what we did to that country.

There are enough people that think 'the bigger the muscles, the smaller the brain", don't give them any more ammunition for God's sake :D

• Like 1

"amid fears that widespread sectarian strife will continue to escalate"

When there is nobody else around, they kill each other.

What does that mean 'when there is nobody else around'?

A pretty clear English language statement.

Those members of the "religion of peace" in that general geographic area are enthusiastic in the killing of outsiders, but given a dearth of those, resort to killing others who profess a slightly different version of the same myth.