Women Rangers: A Brave Force In Thailand's Violence-Prone South

webfact

Women rangers: A brave force in Thailand's violence-prone South

By Digital Media
2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As violence continues in Thailand's southern border region, security personnel are the most vulnerable targets of insurgent attacks. Like their male counterparts, female paramilitary rangers are no exception. Despite life-threats around the clock, they have strong determination to stay in the insurgency-torn areas to protect people's lives.

Private First Class Anastasia Duemalee from Ranger Forces Regiment 44 was shot dead May 19. The victim’s mother Mohyae Ahsae was wounded in the incident, along with her 9-year-old and 11-year-old grandchildren, who lost their mother in the attack.

All three victims remain in hospital. Mourning the death of her daughter, Mrs Mohyae said it is difficult for her to get over it as Ms Anastasia is her only daughter and the family's breadwinner.

1369822843_.jpg

"I pray that my daughter rest in peace. Now I'm worried that our family will not be able to feed ourselves," said Mrs Mohyae.

In soldier Anastasia's bedroom, a picture and message on her wall boosting her spirit to be strong and patient speaks volumes. She is among a hundred colleagues who volunteered to do the dangerous job with bravery.

Despite the tragic death of their fellow ranger, knowing that one day it may be their turn, women rangers in the deep South still perform duties at their best as usual.

.jpg

"Soldiers and other state officials who station in the deep South have shown us their courage and determination. So we will not be disheartened. If we feel so, how do the people who have hope on us live their lives?," Private first class Jirarak Makla-iad, the viictim’s close friend said.

1369822801_.jpg

"Once we choose to be a soldier, fear is not in our mind. We work with our strong determination and willingness although we all know well that we may not return in one piece," said female paramilitary ranger Sorada Madtohpan.

Other two female rangers from afar and voluntarily moved to station in the violence-plagued provinces said they are not scared with the attacks as they already made up their mind to protect the country.

"Although we are only a small part of the society, we still want to do something for the country at our full capacity," said Savitree Boonchoo, female paramilitary ranger from Sukhothai.

"The area I am stationed is the red zone. But I still want to come here as I want to see peace. I want Thai people to love each other and I don't want to lose the southernmost part of the country," female paramilitary ranger from Khon Kaen Somjatewadee Rungsaeng said.

%202.jpg

Although Private First Class Anastasia is not there to work with her team anymore, her staff and other women rangers in far South still have strong spirit with the only wish for the country, that is….that peace will return. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-2013-06-03

What exactly are these Rangers? The article repeatedly refers to them being paramilitary. Are they soldiers and therefore part of the army, or more like police but with a seperate chain of command to the RTP? Not an important comment, but just wondered.

What exactly are these Rangers? The article repeatedly refers to them being paramilitary. Are they soldiers and therefore part of the army, or more like police but with a seperate chain of command to the RTP? Not an important comment, but just wondered.

paramilitary light infantry force led by regular officers and NCOs, withother ranks comprised of full-time and part-time personnel. Roughly one-third of these regional-level troops are given more advanced training to become an army-level force. Detail at:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/thailand/rangers.htm

Yet Chalerm sits in his ivory tower in Bangkok safe and sound.

The man has NO shame.

The women Rangers are working for the country and the people and Chalerm is working for ....................?

.....Chalerm.

• Like 2

Yet Chalerm sits in his ivory tower in Bangkok safe and sound.

The man has NO shame.

The women Rangers are working for the country and the people and Chalerm is working for ....................?

A Canadian actress with the unusual name of Texas Guinan, circa 1884-1933, said of politicians, " a politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. "

If the cap fits ... !

• Like 1

These brave women are a slap in the face for these misogynistic animals. The way these Muslim fundamentalists treat their own women is just disgusting. Getting shot by one of these brave rangers is almost as bad as getting shot with a bullet dipped in pork fat!

@cup-O-Coffee....

Yes there is no "distinction" when one refers to the occupation of bearing arms for ones country. I made

the distinction to define what most women of Southeast Asia would never do...join the military in a

combat position. Many do join in admin or technical MOS's though. These women pull their own weight

and usually have more umph than their male counterparts..I can vouch for that on a personal level as

I have patrolled with them...as an observer in the "troubled" provinces. Being ex-military myself (11A5R)

I have huge respect for these ladies who put their lives on the line in a place where many say; "Just give

it back" ...and that buckwheat...just ain't gonna happen anytime in the near-far future.

Now I can foresee some rounds landing on my AO so have a look here before y'all fire the first shot...

It's a link about what Gen John J. Pershing really did in the Philippines to quell the Moro's and not the usual

bullets dipped on pigs blood BS one reads on the web....

http://www.rathcoombe.net/blogs/blackjack.html

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 2

@Sunshine51: Is it your belief that even autonomy, not "giving it back", is an impossible objective for the deep South provinces? Also if autonomy were to be granted at some time in the future, except for isolated incidents of violence, in your opinion, would it bring general peace to the region?

@Sunshine51: Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I have never been to the deep South, but your response has confirmed my impressions, gained from reading media & analyst reports.

Off topic, but your comment "bringing the whole down into local perspective to solve problems as they arise" is echoed by Sandy Gall in his latest book "War Against the Taliban". As you probably know he has been covering Afghanistan since the Soviet invasion.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

@Sunshine51: Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I have never been to the deep South, but your response has confirmed my impressions, gained from reading media & analyst reports.

Off topic, but your comment "bringing the whole down into local perspective to solve problems as they arise" is echoed by Sandy Gall in his latest book "War Against the Taliban". As you probably know he has been covering Afghanistan since the Soviet invasion.

If I may digress a bit further, please? This is simply too good to pass up.

Wow! I like this train of thought. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Ministry of Education and Health were to take the same approach to juvenile delinquency (or figuratively speaking: the Youth Problem's answer to the Taliban) and bring the whole down into local family perspective to solve the problems as they arise? Assign social workers to visit the homes of bad kids and make sure the parents are doling out the prescribed measures given by law to ensure those kids are changing their ways, and if not, off to a work camp for the parents to pay back society for the damage their spawn incurred; and off to a military work-camp for the spawn, to learn a little discipline and respect for their King, father, mother and countrymen. When they all get released and are back home sitting around their TV set, I bet they have a changed view on things.

OK... I couldn't resist, but back to the topic.

• Like 1

It's quite interesting to see the disdain for the Italian who was killed in Bangkok and the adoration for this soldier . . .

She placed herself into a dangerous position in a war zone - - a real one

Hi Sing_Sling...

Call it ironic? I call it oxymoronic. The Ranger was doing her lawful duty as ordered by her superiors.

The Italian photog was doing his lawful duty as ordered by his superiors. Herin the rub lays...

The Ranger couldn't tell her boss to piss off without suffering severe consequences such as

a long term prison sentence and a less than honourable discharge from the military.

The photog could very easily have told his boss to piss off, gone & had a few beers, taken

some shots of the scene from a "safe" distance using good cover, filed his pix and lived

another day...or he simply could have told his boss to piss off and had those beers...end

of story. Granted his boss may get mad & perhaps fire him but he'd be alive today. Instead

he chose to do his job under fire and was killed. It was entirely his call and nobody elses.

The Ranger didn't have those or any choices other than to do her job.

However...you're right...it an interesting comparison isn't it?

Quite true in many ways, but she wasn't conscripted - she did it of her own free will, she volunteered and could have stepped out at any time . . . not so different than the photographer except that she carried a weapon and posed a threat to her counterparts solely by that fact

If I may digress a bit further, please? This is simply too good to pass up.

Wow! I like this train of thought. Wouldn't it be interesting if the Ministry of Education and Health were to take the same approach to juvenile delinquency (or figuratively speaking: the Youth Problem's answer to the Taliban) and bring the whole down into local family perspective to solve the problems as they arise? Assign social workers to visit the homes of bad kids and make sure the parents are doling out the prescribed measures given by law to ensure those kids are changing their ways, and if not, off to a work camp for the parents to pay back society for the damage their spawn incurred; and off to a military work-camp for the spawn, to learn a little discipline and respect for their King, father, mother and countrymen. When they all get released and are back home sitting around their TV set, I bet they have a changed view on things.

OK... I couldn't resist, but back to the topic.

This deserves more than the simple answer I'm gonna give...however....

By all means I reckon this is a fine way to deal with the youth problem!

Although one must find social workers who are incapable of being bribed.

That may pose a problem.....

• Like 2

These Ladies Rangers are a perfect match for the males in every respect. I am sure they can and are doing their job. They not only are as strong, determined and capable as the men, but they also are more brave as they are risking not only their lives. Hate to think of how much more they are risking. And they also look good. Having said this (and I mean it) there is not a shade of disrespect in what follows.

There were noises in media about lack of restraint and discipline among male military forces in the South. Accusations of abuse even rape were raised. Could it be that introduction of female Rangers is an answer to this problem?

If this is true (?) is this a reasonable and proper solution? Considering the psychological effects and added risks on one hand and the fact that they are females i.e. future mothers and wifes of families on the other, isn't this unwarranted?

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me an easy and expedient way out for some military/political players. Pity they cannot play it themselves in a war zone, as usually it is

It's quite interesting to see the disdain for the Italian who was killed in Bangkok and the adoration for this soldier . . .

Hi Sing_Sling...

Call it ironic? I call it oxymoronic. The Ranger was doing her lawful duty as ordered by her superiors.

The Italian photog was doing his lawful duty as ordered by his superiors. Herin the rub lays...

The Ranger couldn't tell her boss to piss off without suffering severe consequences such as

a long term prison sentence and a less than honourable discharge from the military.

The photog could very easily have told his boss to piss off, gone & had a few beers, taken

some shots of the scene from a "safe" distance using good cover, filed his pix and lived

another day...or he simply could have told his boss to piss off and had those beers...end

of story. Granted his boss may get mad & perhaps fire him but he'd be alive today. Instead

he chose to do his job under fire and was killed. It was entirely his call and nobody elses.

Quite true in many ways, but she wasn't conscripted - she did it of her own free will, she volunteered and could have stepped out at any time . . . not so different than the photographer except that she carried a weapon and posed a threat to her counterparts solely by that fact

Sing_Sling...

Have you ever spent any time in military service?

Just because she "volunteered" doesn't mean she could have

opted out at any time after volunteering. There's usually if not

always a minimum time one must spend within a unit before

opting out...perhaps a few years...perhaps more. And...by carrying

a weapon I see no reason why she posed a threat to her counterparts

any more than they posed a threat to her. By your logic anybody who

carries a weapon in their line of work poses a threat to their counterparts

such as police officers, federal agents & military personell etc. You must

understand that ones counterparts are also armed....fratricide is extremely

rare amongst armed personell.

These Ladies Rangers are a perfect match for the males in every respect. I am sure they can and are doing their job. They not only are as strong, determined and capable as the men, but they also are more brave as they are risking not only their lives. Hate to think of how much more they are risking. And they also look good. Having said this (and I mean it) there is not a shade of disrespect in what follows.

There were noises in media about lack of restraint and discipline among male military forces in the South. Accusations of abuse even rape were raised. Could it be that introduction of female Rangers is an answer to this problem?

If this is true (?) is this a reasonable and proper solution? Considering the psychological effects and added risks on one hand and the fact that they are females i.e. future mothers and wifes of families on the other, isn't this unwarranted?

Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me an easy and expedient way out for some military/political players. Pity they cannot play it themselves in a war zone, as usually it is

About the lack of restraint & discipline in the males...this would make sense...however trying to nail that

question would be near impossible. That said on a probability scale of 4.0 I'd give it around 2.6 this could

be a reason....just guessing here. Mind you I know a few Rangers (female) who asked to be there and were

granted that wish. Sometimes a female face can quell an arguement before it turns ugly and yes...if it does

turn ugly the ladies can hold their own weight in a firefight.

Your questions are good and hard to answer with any clarity though.

Hi Sing_Sling...

Sing_Sling...

Have you ever spent any time in military service?

Just because she "volunteered" doesn't mean she could have

opted out at any time after volunteering. There's usually if not

always a minimum time one must spend within a unit before

opting out...perhaps a few years...perhaps more. And...by carrying

a weapon I see no reason why she posed a threat to her counterparts

any more than they posed a threat to her. By your logic anybody who

carries a weapon in their line of work poses a threat to their counterparts

such as police officers, federal agents & military personell etc. You must

understand that ones counterparts are also armed....fratricide is extremely

rare amongst armed personell.

Yes, I have. Submarines, but spent majority of the time in Brussels at NATO HQ. In this case, however, she is not a member of the military, rather a volunteer member of a paramilitary group.

I made the weapon comment because some posters here believe that a reporter running away from where the action is should be considered fair game if he gets killed . . . holding a camera.

Surely being part of a paramilitary group walking around with weapons should carry a greater risk than the former example of the photographer . . . added to the fact that she is in a war zone, not a protest zone.

I mean the woman no disrespect, I just find it odd that the same people seem to be more defensive of her than the photographer . . . and by 'counterparts' I was referring to the insurgents - my apologies for any confusion

Edited by Sing_Sling
  • Like 1

@ Sing_Sling...

Glad we got it cleared up. Mind you I don't relish the insurgents being called "counterparts" though. Counterparts

are allies...not the enemy. Just FYI that. Paramilitary or active military...these rangers still come under southern

regional command which is full time RTA...that's who gives the orders these folks follow.

As for the photog in BKK...man let's just not go there again ok. There are too many unknowns regarding his

demise; such as...was he actually targeted or did he get in the way of the round that got him? Carrying

a camera and seemingly extricating himself from his position as the shooting was going on is in reality a

very smart move. I was also at the same locale that day...bad juju all around...I was humping a large TV

camera...I stand 6' 2"...a rather large target I would say...especially for a sniper. All I got was a pair of skinned

knees helping a Thai who took a round in the lower chest. Sadly we're never gonna know exactly who fired

that shot although many of us if not all of us in the foreign press corps hope that the truth will eventually come

out and those responsible, not only for the photogs death, but the numerous deaths which occured are severely

prosectued.

The armchair targeters (your ref...the posters) haven't a clue to the actual events of that day because they were

all at home watching the boob tube and or listening to the radio. The photog was no more "fair game" than any Red

shirt....or anybody else for that matter...on the day.

No further discussion of the deceased will be entertaained by me...also FYI.

Edited by sunshine51
  • Like 1

I am very sure that having females can make a big difference. In a shoot out they are no different than a man but in private situations they can be more effective. I saw a female police officer RCMP where I come from calm a disruptive drunk 50% bigger than her down. She never even touched her gun just talked to him.wai2.gif

Sunshine thank you for your input.

It is a shame that there are so many brave people willing to do some thing to help bring peace into the region and they are not being backed up by there government just being used as pawns in the look at me game in politics.

• Like 1

I made the distinction to define what most women of Southeast Asia would never do...join the military in a

combat position. Many do join in admin or technical MOS's though.

Are you sure? If sectarian violence suddenly erupted in my wife's hometown then she would volunteer for the local special constabulary, militia (whatever you like to call them). My wife is no different from the majority of Thai women and would prefer to police peace and defend it. But, if threatened, will surprise.

She lives in the UK with me at present but it wouldn't take much. She's extremely formidable.

She would put her life on the line with no hesitation.

Edited by wooloomooloo

I made the distinction to define what most women of Southeast Asia would never do...join the military in a

combat position. Many do join in admin or technical MOS's though.

Are you sure? If sectarian violence suddenly erupted in my wife's hometown then she would volunteer for the local special constabulary, militia (whatever you like to call them). My wife is no different from the majority of Thai women and would prefer to police peace and defend it. But, if threatened, will surprise.

She lives in the UK with me at present but it wouldn't take much. She's extremely formidable.

She would put her life on the line with no hesitation.

Wooloomooloo...

I hope there's no impled disrespect to your wife in what I'm gonna say. Mind you I reckon you're correct

in what you said regarding her hometown. However most women in Southeast Asia do not select the

military; whether para or fulltime, as a profession. The pay is crap, the hours are long, the job is difficult,

the bosses if not out for your ass immediatey will never get away from trying to jump on it, promotions

are few & far between unless you give in to the boss's desires (no real guarantee there either), one could

very easily die a horrible death, and the list could continue but I'll cut it here. I have found it rather amazing

that most of these female "Rangers" are very good looking though and yes, they joined up to do some good

for their country/region instead of working in a bar or karaoke or....etc. In realityLOS is no different than the

rest of the world when it comes to femae soldiers (use of female to differentiate between male & female)...Chicks

just don't join the military in the numbers that men do...and the reasons for that are quite possibly as many as

there are men & women on this planet!

Very brave women these female Rangers...very brave indeed.

Brave but unfortunately unarmed from what I can tell, in uniform (noticeable) but defenceless alas.

JimsKnight...

They are armed Jim...believe me, they ARE armed and they know how to use their weapons.

And when not to use them.

Edited by sunshine51