International Drivers Permit (Re Thai Licence) In Bangkok?

TerraplaneGuy

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting an International Drivers Permit to authenticate my 5 year Thai licence for driving/renting outside Thailand. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the permit at the Bangkok Land Transport Office at Bang Chak (Sukhumvit soi 99/101)? And is a certificate of residence needed? I rent an apartment (so no yellow book), hate to go back to Chaeng Wattana for that again :)

Thanks for any info!

TG

In a large Government (transport?) complex on Phahoyothin Rd opposite Chatuchak park, near the BTS station. From memory only your Thai driving licence and THB500 although best to take Passport also. Just checked my Int'l license and there is a photo, 3.5 x 4.5 cms, inside so take a couple with you.

Edited by RupertIII

In a large Government (transport?) complex on Phahoyothin Rd opposite Chatuchak park, near the BTS station. From memory only your Thai driving licence and THB500 although best to take Passport also. Just checked my Int'l license and there is a photo, 3.5 x 4.5 cms, inside so take a couple with you.

Thanks! Since starting this chain, I have researched some more and it seems that generally, you don't need an IDP except to translate or explain a foreign licence. Since the Thai licences have all information in English as well as Thai, I'm wondering whether there is really a need for an IDP when using a Thai licence abroad. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

If using an embassy letter as proof of residence, is a copy enough or will they want an original? Don't really want to spend another 1500 baht to get the international permit.

I'm told that any procedure requiring the uk embassy letter of residence requires and original copy - I'm looking into the same scenario - getting my first 5 yr Thai licence and putting two bikes into my name and was told on a thread in here that an original copy + certified translation was required for each.

If anyone can confirm or otherwise I'm interested to know.

Having driven in many countries, in my experience some countries won't let you rent a vehicle without an international permit, regardless of whether your license has all the info in English.

I can only speak for the UK but I've never encountered a problem renting a car using my Thai licence.

Having driven in many countries, in my experience some countries won't let you rent a vehicle without an international permit, regardless of whether your license has all the info in English.

I can only speak for the UK but I've never encountered a problem renting a car using my Thai licence.

That's great news thanks for post. Which hire company do you use in UK. I wonder if different companies may have different requirements.

• 1 month later...

As far as the proof of residence is concerned, if you have a work permit you should be able to use that as proof. Your address is on the back page and you can just make a copy of that.

I currently have a 5 year license and am going to apply for my IDP today. I have the following docs:

- passport - original & copy (front page, visa page, departure card page, reentry page, last page)

- work permit - original & copy (front page, renewal/extension details page, change of working conditions page, home address page)

- 5 year Thai driving license - original & copy

- 2 photos - 2" x 2"