Abhisit Calls Government To Task Over White-Mask Protests

webfact

Does Abhisit really think that ANY government can keep 100% of the entire population happy ALL of the time. Someone is always going to be hacked off with something a government does, and unfortunately, pandering to every whim of every group that bothers to have a protest is a complete non-starter.

So, should the government be it, his or any other, jump to attention when a few thousand (wasn't this protest under 1000?)people have a protest? Nope. Have the protest, he as opposition leader should note their grievance, and use it to pound home the point to the government and the media for politial advantage. Claiming that if everything was hunkey dorey in the country, no one would protest is ridiculous.

The way to pressure a government, and register your disatisfaction is through protest. The way to register your dissatisfaction with the government effectively is at the election box. Expecting any government to jump out of its seat because of a small protest is misuderstanding democracy also.

I suppose calling them moronic garbage is easier than asking "what up, doc?"

That's the government mistake. If Abhisit had any political nous he would be pounding on this issue, showing that the government has no love of anyone expressing their opinions. Really, he does need to brush up his act. He always seems late to the party about these issues. The protest was when? The weekend? It's Tuesday morning. He should have been front and centre pounding on about freedom of speech since Sunday.

• Like 1

Does Abhisit really think that ANY government can keep 100% of the entire population happy ALL of the time. Someone is always going to be hacked off with something a government does, and unfortunately, pandering to every whim of every group that bothers to have a protest is a complete non-starter.

So, should the government be it, his or any other, jump to attention when a few thousand (wasn't this protest under 1000?)people have a protest? Nope. Have the protest, he as opposition leader should note their grievance, and use it to pound home the point to the government and the media for politial advantage. Claiming that if everything was hunkey dorey in the country, no one would protest is ridiculous.

The way to pressure a government, and register your disatisfaction is through protest. The way to register your dissatisfaction with the government effectively is at the election box. Expecting any government to jump out of its seat because of a small protest is misuderstanding democracy also.

That's the government mistake. If Abhisit had any political nous he would be pounding on this issue, showing that the government has no love of anyone expressing their opinions. Really, he does need to brush up his act. He always seems late to the party about these issues. The protest was when? The weekend? It's Tuesday morning. He should have been front and centre pounding on about freedom of speech since Sunday.

But then he wouldn't be seen as an opportunist . . . like he is now

Well, problem is, being a furvent defender of free speech when you shut down 1000's of websites whilst in government is just a tad hypocritical. You are right, he seems to lack principles. All he knows is that he wants to be in power instead of PTP and the Shinawatra's, but that isn't enough. Just look at the hoohah they got into about "reforming" the Democrat party.

Yawn.

• Like 1

Well, problem is, being a furvent defender of free speech when you shut down 1000's of websites whilst in government is just a tad hypocritical. You are right, he seems to lack principles. All he knows is that he wants to be in power instead of PTP and the Shinawatra's, but that isn't enough. Just look at the hoohah they got into about "reforming" the Democrat party.

Yawn.

Indeed, there are many similarities between them all . . .

Contradictory of Chalerm once again:-

Firstly, he stated, "They look familiar to me as they are similar to the people in photos taken by Special Branch police,".

He goes on to say that he "did not believe information from the Special Branch Police and the National Security Council because he had his own intelligence officers."

so, can he or can't he trust the photos that the special branch apparently have?

Edited by patjem

Contradictory of Chalerm once again:-

Firstly, he stated, "They look familiar to me as they are similar to the people in photos taken by Special Branch police,".

He goes on to say that he "did not believe information from the Special Branch Police and the National Security Council because he had his own intelligence officers."

so, can he or can't he trust the photos that the special branch apparently have?

Yes

• Like 1

Shouldn't have though there would be a great deal of a problem of people speaking out, masks or no masks.

After all Kittiratt has just told a big meeting of press bigwigs:

"In Thailand, the press is free to speak… the government has accepted that," he said, adding that there could be no democracy without freedom of the press.

Would think that freedom of the press goes hand in hand with freedom of speech.

In fact you cant really have one without the other.

""They are yellow shirts in disguise. They look familiar to me as they are similar to the people in photos taken by Special Branch police," Chalerm said."

I assume Dept. PM Pol. Captain Chalerm recognized people from their distinct build and attire and footwear as all faces looked the same :-)

+1

It is ludicrous to suggest that Abhisit's condemnation of the government because of their stifling of free speech - is too slow.

It's damned if you do & damned if you don't.

In other words if he came out immediately he would be condemned as either a supporter or an instigator. Always best to give the PTP mob some rope which Chalerm typically has accepted in his usual idiotic comments.

By the way are they 'retards' or 'proto fascists'? Looking forward to the next 'intellectual' descriptive of the protestors.

Shouldn't have though there would be a great deal of a problem of people speaking out, masks or no masks.

"In Thailand, the press is free to speak… the government has accepted that," he said, adding that there could be no democracy without freedom of the press.

The phrase "the government has accepted that"' sounds very begrudging.

Robby nz, on 04 Jun 2013 - 12:17, said:snapback.png

The phrase "the government has accepted that"' sounds very begrudging.

I would suspect Noistar that most if not all of the press would have heard about Kittiratt being caught out with a white lie before.

Not of course that he would ever tell another.

• Like 1

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday urged the government to consider why people felt they had to wear a Guy Fawkes mask in protesting against it.

Perhaps Abhisit would care to explain to Thais what they are wearing . . . because I'm sure none of them would have a clue, but it does show how detached Abhisit is from 'his' electorate

?

• Like 1

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva on Monday urged the government to consider why people felt they had to wear a Guy Fawkes mask in protesting against it.

Perhaps Abhisit would care to explain to Thais what they are wearing . . . because I'm sure none of them would have a clue, but it does show how detached Abhisit is from 'his' electorate

?

!

We have the pro-democracy group which supports the elected government and all the others which don't. Obviously the others are undemocratic. Even rich teachers say so. 15.7 million voted for this government and the only reason no-one voted for Thaksin is that he didn't want to stand as candidate.

BTW in July 2011 out of 46.9 million registered voters 35.5m cast their vote. That suggests of course that only the 15.7m for Pheu Thai are democratic minded and the rest is to be ignored. Democratically. how dare they oppose this benign government.

You hit the nail right on the head with.

"It's a shame the current Government is so juvenile that they don't care

about the country or its people. They have the ability to do so much

good."

I think.

I had to add that because I am sure some of them are mentally

incapable of putting the welfare of the country ahead of their own.

I do think many of those in power would change their selfish attitudes if some one in Dubai had a fatal heart attack.

• Like 1

gotta agree with you he is smart.

?
!
Perhaps you're confusing 'anti-Government' with 'pro-Democrat'.

It's a mistake made by many posters on TV.

So the protestors are not 'his' electorate. Unless you know otherwise.

• Like 2

?
!

Please tell me that in Thailand an anti-government protest can be a grass-roots, politically unaligned movement with no connection to any party. I'm not talking about theory, I'm talking about reality

(I hate this new quote system)

Sing_Sling, on 05 Jun 2013 - 07:52, said:

Please tell me that in Thailand an anti-government protest can be a grass-roots, politically unaligned movement with no connection to any party. I'm not talking about theory, I'm talking about reality

You mean, like the Yellow Shirts, who didn't vote for the Democrats in the last election?
  • Like 2

Sing_Sling, on 05 Jun 2013 - 07:52, said:

You mean, like the Yellow Shirts, who didn't vote for the Democrats in the last election?

I don't know that 'they' did or did not - that's the problem with generalising (not just you, but me as well)

[

Agree about the new quote system.

Any anti-government, anti- Democrat, anti-anything political will obviously be politically driven, but I don't believe it is always aligned with one party. The protestors are likely to be the non-apathetic electorate who come from all parties, and share a common goal.

Unfortunately, this Government is so blatant it's not difficult for non-Government supporters to share a single target.

BTW is 'anti-Government' the same as 'pro-Democrat'? Your post wasn't clear about that point.

No, I don't think 'anti-government' is necessarily 'pro-democrat' as there are more political parties than just the dems.

I simply cannot see a truly non-aligned movement in Thailand simply because there sadly has to be someone benefiting from the potential outcome - it is the way of a socially developing country.

I could potentially see some environmental protests being apolitical in nature, but nothing that directly focuses on politics.

My opinion only, of course

The fact that a truly unaligned movement that can remain anonymous should have all politicians in Thailand worried.

IF it only were the case then more power to them . . . but I doubt Thai society lacks the maturity at this time

• Like 1

You're sure that none of them have a clue, because what they see in a symbol is different to your own understanding? Have you considered that if they attach a certain meaning to it, that meaning should be sufficient, while your "deeper understanding" is irrelevant?

Then why call it a Guy Fawkes mask? The article definitely alludes to Guy Fawkes . . . why not just call it a white mask?

why shouldn't he call it what it is?

You're sure that none of them have a clue, because what they see in a symbol is different to your own understanding? Have you considered that if they attach a certain meaning to it, that meaning should be sufficient, while your "deeper understanding" is irrelevant?

Then why call it a Guy Fawkes mask? The article definitely alludes to Guy Fawkes . . . why not just call it a white mask?

why shouldn't he call it what it is?

Read one post above yours . . .

The Guy Fawkes mask is a stylised depiction of Guy Fawkes, the best-known member of the Gunpowder Plot, an attempt to blow up the House of Lords in London in 1605. The use of a mask on an effigy has long roots as part of Guy Fawkes Night celebrations.
A stylised portrayal of a white face with a subtle smile and red cheeks, a wide moustache upturned at both ends, and a thin vertical pointed beard, designed by illustrator David Lloyd, came to represent broader protest after it was used as a major plot element in V for Vendetta, published in 1982, and its 2006 film adaptation. After appearing in Internet forums, the mask became a well-known symbol for the online hacktivist group Anonymous. Time Warner owns the rights to the image and is paid a licensing fee for the sale of each mask.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_mask

So, by now the mask stands for protesting against governments. Nothing to do with alleged 'ultra' this or that, just plain protesting against governments.

These ultra-Royalists don't seem to be aware that Guy Fawkes planned to commit regicide.

Dumb.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dumb is not knowing the modern origin and the meaning to thousands around the world in a multitude of causes.

Thai Protesters Latest to Don 'Guy Fawkes' Masks

Origin of the mask

The stylized Guy Fawkes mask was designed by comic book artist David Lloyd for the story V for Vendetta before it became a film. It was about a lone hero who takes up the image of Fawkes to fight against a fictional, fascist British government of the future. The mask was first used in protest by Anonymous, a group of activist computer hackers, in 2008 against the Church of Scientology.

They have since been worn by demonstrators in Europe, Australia, the Middle East, and the United States. In the United States, the mask became a symbol of the Occupy Wall Street protest. It also featured during the so-called Arab Spring democracy uprisings.

http://www.voanews.com/content/thailand-protesters-latest-do-don-guy-fawkes-masks/1673965.html

Edited by egro

?

!

(I hate this new quote system)

Agree about the new quote system.

Any anti-government, anti- Democrat, anti-anything political will obviously be politically driven, but I don't believe it is always aligned with one party. The protestors are likely to be the non-apathetic electorate who come from all parties, and share a common goal.

Unfortunately, this Government is so blatant it's not difficult for non-Government supporters to share a single target.

BTW is 'anti-Government' the same as 'pro-Democrat'? Your post wasn't clear about that point.

I concur.....

post-46292-0-21494000-1370423999_thumb.j