Possibly Moving To Thailand

Heya guys!! I'm a single 33 year old retired military male. I have my own reasons for wanting to leave the US. I currently have a pension of $1500 per month, and I'm clueless on where to start. I was wondering where to start!

I have a love for the Asian way of life, I'm an avid mountain biker and have a very respectful demeanor. What I need help with is pretty much everything, from renting a house in the correct neighborhood to applying for the correct visa. This move will more than likely be permanent, with the end game of purchasing some land just outside the city.

I have no idea where to start so any help will be appreciated. Thank you so much in advance guys.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless working or studying or married to a Thai lady you would only qualify for Tourist Visas.

These give you a stay of 60 days and can be extended by 30 days at Immigration

You cannot buy land.

Moved to the Visa Forum

Your marriage status will not change land ownership - you can not own land as a foreigner. As for visas it can get difficult to obtain after having a handful but most people survive - but do you have any idea of what you will be spending each month? I suspect it will be a lot more than you suspect if any young ladies are in your plans. Many people use study of Thai as a means to extend there stay here and suspect that would serve you well if you intended to remain here.

• Like 1

Oh I wasn't aware of that. I suppose I better charm a sweet thai lady so I can own land! Is the maximum visa 60 days? That seems like a real pain to renew that every other month.

Think you must read a lot about what you can and can't do in LOS. In fact you can't do most anything in LOS so read up. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I have about $40,000 in savings and my pension will be $1500, I would like to spend about $900 a month, but can go up to $1500. I was kidding about the ladies, but I love the idea of being a student of Thai. How long does a student visa last?

at 33 one supposes you are not up for retirement just yet, so suppose the first question what do you intend to do for the remainder of your life, you cant intend to lounge around Thailand ?

As other have said..you cant own land and you will be on an Ed visa or tourist visa...but here is my advice as regards Thailand, dont buy anything..rent only for the forseeable future

I am retired and I will receive this pension for the rest of my life. And I very much intend to lounge around Thailand for the rest of my life :).

I will want to ship my bike to myself once I am there. Does anyone predict that I will have a problem with that?

• Like 1

I am retired and I will receive this pension for the rest of my life. And I very much intend to lounge around Thailand for the rest of my life smile.png.

I will want to ship my bike to myself once I am there. Does anyone predict that I will have a problem with that?

Is the 40k stated and $1500/m all the income/savings you got ? as you will not be living on that for the rest of your life in Thailand....THB 45k although a livable amount today in Thailand, one suspects in 10-15 years time..it will not be worth sh*t

One suspects living in Thailand at this point in your life at 33 with no further plans other than riding your bike will only turn out badly in the long term..

There is another popular sport in Thailand called balcony diving which you dont want to get involved in...wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Hmm... You guys have given me some food for thought for sure. And yes the $40k is all the savings I have and the $1500 would be my only monthly income. Thanks for letting me know about the baht situation. Maybe chaing mai just won't fit financially.

Hmm... You guys have given me some food for thought for sure. And yes the $40k is all the savings I have and the $1500 would be my only monthly income. Thanks for letting me know about the baht situation. Maybe chaing mai just won't fit financially.

You can do it but it will be far from luxury. Try it for 6 months or a year.

You should be planning your next career move at 33....you have many many years to go and you will need a decent chunk of change in your piggy bank to live here long term.

If you have just finished the miltary then by all means come to Thailand for a period of time, say 6 months and have a holiday and reasses where you are after 6 months, but at this point in time you can't just say that it...I am retired at 33 with THB1500/m coming going to spend the rest of my life longing around Thailand...you will go off your head or worse...

• Like 1

As former marine and a member of our local Chiang Mai VFW I am inclined to be of support to a former member of the military establishment, in fact I have a few friends who are using their military educational benefits to work on their degrees at Payap University which in return will entitle you to more income per month to help support you. If you are a former combat veteran with a rated disability our VFW service officer will assist you in setting up your medical care through a local hospital where the hospital will bill the VA through the FOREIGN MEDICAL PROGRAM. There is a lot of ways to stay here so don't believe everything you read on here. Oooooo did I mention there is a lot of good universities here in Chaing Mai and Thailand. Feel free to ask away, and if necessary I will try and give you my email for personal questions.

• Like 1

I do have a service connected disability I am rated at 70%. I served in Iraq and Afghanistan. I have been doing a bit of research on my own and I do believe I will be heading to Thailand within the year. If I don't like it, or its a tad bit too expensive I can always leave, so why not try it out for a few years? It would be an amazing experience.

• Like 1

As former marine and a member of our local Chiang Mai VFW I am inclined to be of support to a former member of the military establishment, in fact I have a few friends who are using their military educational benefits to work on their degrees at Payap University which in return will entitle you to more income per month to help support you. If you are a former combat veteran with a rated disability our VFW service officer will assist you in setting up your medical care through a local hospital where the hospital will bill the VA through the FOREIGN MEDICAL PROGRAM. There is a lot of ways to stay here so don't believe everything you read on here. Oooooo did I mention there is a lot of good universities here in Chaing Mai and Thailand. Feel free to ask away, and if necessary I will try and give you my email for personal questions.

Ok this is all well and good and lets suppose he studies at a CM/Thai university for a few years....then what ? and what shouldnt he be believing on what has been written to date...as far as i can see its all been very sensible advice

• Like 1

As for my next career move, my job within the military doesn't exactly translate to the civilian world so I would definitely need education.

Well could I suggest you do your education in the US, one assumes the US miltary would pay for it or at least get some grants towards paying for it for the most part what you would get in Thailand education wise wouldnt be worth much in the outside world

Believe the issue was poster had indicated no intent to pursue further study or work so your comment that education "will entitle you to more income per month" I believe to be false. A fixed pension is a fixed pension. Only if he finds employment would the education be useful and as stated getting that education in the USA would likely be much more cost effective - especially if employed there.

if you were a former military person you would know the educational benefits available to him would pay for a lot of education, nothing personal, but are you former USA military?

I am former miltary, BTW the US is not the only miltary in the world, the subject under debate has very little to do with the military anyway US or otherwise...the OP has finished one part of his life and now is starting a new phase in his life....he has 40 years + ahead of him and needs to figure out what to do and Thailand may or may not figure in these plans

soothsayers of gloom and doom only show where there mindset is, Thailand is anything you want to make of it. Everyday people ask me how you doing? I reply another day in paradise!!! I have a friend here special forces ranger or something like that about your age with 2 tours in Iraq he has been here 3 years writing a book. When you get here contact the VFW or contact us through the Chiang Mai VFW website and we will help you get situated. No problemooooooo............

• Like 1