You Forget Me, Nah?

What exactly does this mean?

Or does it depend?

I miss you?
I wish you would call?
It is I who actually forgot all about you?

I suspect this is a direct translation from thai to enlish and something is getting lost, or is it simply thai-english?

Depends how it was asked, tone and look on face and flick of hair or not.

She/he either wants you to go away and leave he/she alone...or he/she is asking you why you not remember him/her.

I think, nah.

Edited by itchybum
  • Like 1

She/he either wants you to go away and leave he/she alone...or he/she is asking you why you not remember him/her.

I think, nah.

I would agree with this comment. Depending on how it was said and to whom, and in what context, it could mean many things.

It means,

"i have not had any of your money for a while!"

It also means the farang has been shagging another but has returned after telling said lady if the bar he needed to go away to work not understanding the the bar networks extends far and wide thus she knows exactly what he's been up to!

• Like 1

I think, nah.

I would agree with this comment. Depending on how it was said and to whom, and in what context, it could mean many things.

nonsense.

It means,

"i have not had any of your money for a while!"

exactly, you have not called me for sex in some time.

• Like 1

A few possible meanings depending on the tone or context:

So, you forgot me eh? (like if you said oh hi in an uncertain tone of voice without saying her name)

possibly implying that you were supposed to keep in touch more actively and she's annoyed that she had to be the one to follow up.

or possibly implying that you've been pursuing other potential partners.

OR if not a question, "I want you to forget me" (as in giving you a semi-polite brush-off, I hope you meet someone who can take care of you, because I'm not going to)

• Like 1

You forget me na? Often used as a ploy by some of the smarter girls to get you to take a second look - which of course you do, and then they have a second chance to lure you into their bar, even though they've never set eyes on you before.

I saw one that was classic at this at a bar in Soi 7 and she had some great luck with it. She actually said this rather than saying the classic "Wailkum". She also had a follow up line - "wot your name teelak, I forget".

• Like 2

You forget me na? Often used as a ploy by some of the smarter girls to get you to take a second look - which of course you do, and then they have a second chance to lure you into their bar, even though they've never set eyes on you before.

I saw one that was classic at this at a bar in Soi 7 and she had some great luck with it. She actually said this rather than saying the classic "Wailkum". She also had a follow up line - "wot your name teelak, I forget".

My reply is often "I never forget you - what's your name?"

Gets mixed reactions!! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Oh my God!! I think it takes a non native english speaker to understand that extremely easy sentence, nah??? When I read your posts here, you englishspoken guys, it mostly remind me of the thai´s here.

These thai that sees a falang and cannot ever understand what you are saying, even if you say it in perfect thai!!biggrin.png

HAVE YOU FORGOT ME aeh?????

Glegolo

Thanks folks.

It is actually a ror or law instead of a nah.

FWIT

The first two are just different pronunciations of the same particle.

All three (plus "chai mai"?) have the same meaning, seeking confirmation of something assumed to be known by both parties.

"Isn't that right?" or "eh?" tacked onto the end of a statement.

As already noted, the "nah"? form is more friendly, trying to be persuasive and I believe feminine?

• Like 2

Thanks folks.

It is actually a ror or law instead of a nah.

FWIT

The first two are just different pronunciations of the same particle.

All three (plus "chai mai"?) have the same meaning, seeking confirmation of something assumed to be known by both parties.

"Isn't that right?" or "eh?" tacked onto the end of a statement.

As already noted, the "nah"? form is more friendly, trying to be persuasive and I believe feminine?

Yep, I think your summation is pretty good. I find it rather cute when Thai women speak English but add the polite "ka" as well, as in "Good Morning ka, or thank you ka" I've started doing the same thing by adding the kahp/krap if I speak English back to them. They take note of the politeness more so than if you added the polite particle after speaking Thai. It does pay dividends. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I've started doing the same thing by adding the kahp/krap if I speak English back to them. They take note of the politeness more so than if you added the polite particle after speaking Thai.

I prefer to speak one language at a time.