Bangkok At Risk From Natural Disasters: World Bank

webfact

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst all the "Thai Bashers" are frothing in their late morning beer and shakely whacking at their computers before engaging brain, think what is happening in Southern Germany, Austria and North Yorkshire..............!bah.gif Are we becoming a pathetic sad lot who can only see fault in Thailand? Time to go home me thinks or remember why you decided to come to this lovely Country in the first place.

Relocate most of the capital, like Burma has done.

Very good!

I suppose if we eventually do have a Shinawatra presidential dynasty then Chiang Mai could well become the new capital.

Of course the main concern regarding theis World Bank statement must be to stress that just because Bangkok is as safe as Bangladesh when it pees down this should not in any way affect tourist numbers which like the water levels will continue to rise.

Just watch how the SET trades. That will either confirm or confound these silly assumptions.

EVERYONE in the north talks about Bangkok sinking; NO ONE in Bangkok talks about it at all.

The grey matter is in Bangkok. The SET is in Bangkok. The money is in Bangkok. The party is in the north.

Choose your sources wisely.

What about the man made disasters and I mean those made by one man ?

Why don't you go over to the Thai-food section and make a Thaksin -comment there as well.

About as sensible, as doing it here!

Wow that's deep.

No only deep but he's correct.

What about the man made disasters and I mean those made by one man ?

All leads back to him HUH

PATHETIC rolleyes.gif

I must've had a brief (premature) senior moment when I read that line... Mr. T didn't actually spring to my mind, more the fact that [at any given time] it only takes one person (as is often proved here) to create havoc; all the while blaming others and/or nature.

I must take a break from reading this stuff. ROFL

The floods of 2011 were not a natural disaster. The rain and subsequent flooding could have easily been controlled! Instead those in charge of such things waited until it was too late, as usual!

It's easy to control rain?

So in 2012 all the panicking flappers drained the dams in case there was a repeat, had an unusually LOW amount of rain, and ended up with no water - until now 2013 most of the dams are well below their optimum level and they're struggling to keep water flowing. Dry khlong everywhere.

If there's a repeat of 2012's lack of a substantial rainy season this year, Thailand is in deep doggy-doo.

Yeah, predicting and controlling the weather is real easy...

If it is easy to control rain then why is there so much flooding in other parts of the world? And why is there so much drought in other parts of the world. Obviously there are ways to mitigate the mass destruction, by flood prevention schemes but it all costs money and like the western world, what flood prevention is in place did not happen over night. Thailand has come a long way and will make decisions in their own interest, as have the western world in how and what priority comes first.

If only some wonderful scientific institute would offer to come to Thailand and study the rainfall patterns for free with world class scientists and equipment. We might learn so much, huh?

I do believe the Dutch tried that?

jb1

• Like 1

Just watch how the SET trades. That will either confirm or confound these silly assumptions.

EVERYONE in the north talks about Bangkok sinking; NO ONE in Bangkok talks about it at all.

The grey matter is in Bangkok. The SET is in Bangkok. The money is in Bangkok. The party is in the north.

Choose your sources wisely.

The grey matter is in Bangkok. Oh, please. What a load of s**t. And look at what they created.

If they had grey matter they would have moved years ago.

• Like 2

The floods of 2011 were not a natural disaster. The rain and subsequent flooding could have easily been controlled! Instead those in charge of such things waited until it was too late, as usual!

And on what grounds do they pour such praise on the government?

"praised the government for its quick and effective resolution of the flood disaster in 2011"

Ask those up in Ayuthaya how quick and effective their resolution of the flooding was...!!

Whilst all the "Thai Bashers" are frothing in their late morning beer and shakely whacking at their computers before engaging brain, think what is happening in Southern Germany, Austria and North Yorkshire..............!bah.gif Are we becoming a pathetic sad lot who can only see fault in Thailand? Time to go home me thinks or remember why you decided to come to this lovely Country in the first place.

North Yorkshire... Is that anywhere near Prague?

JB1

It's easy to control rain?

So in 2012 all the panicking flappers drained the dams in case there was a repeat, had an unusually LOW amount of rain, and ended up with no water - until now 2013 most of the dams are well below their optimum level and they're struggling to keep water flowing. Dry khlong everywhere.

If there's a repeat of 2012's lack of a substantial rainy season this year, Thailand is in deep doggy-doo.

Yeah, predicting and controlling the weather is real easy...

If it is easy to control rain then why is there so much flooding in other parts of the world? And why is there so much drought in other parts of the world. Obviously there are ways to mitigate the mass destruction, by flood prevention schemes but it all costs money and like the western world, what flood prevention is in place did not happen over night. Thailand has come a long way and will make decisions in their own interest, as have the western world in how and what priority comes first.

If only some wonderful scientific institute would offer to come to Thailand and study the rainfall patterns for free with world class scientists and equipment. We might learn so much, huh?

Probably wouldn't get a work permitcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

climate change look at europe now austria, germany ,Uk never stops raining ,where did all the trees go in thailand ,was there in the 70s ,when i came back in the 90s thought i got the wrong country

It was a little colder in the 90s, so trees were chopped up to keep people warm.

JB1

Only about 3.5cm on the map I'm looking at.

• Like 2

JB1

Only about 3.5cm on the map I'm looking at.

You need a larger map then?

jb1

My Dad said when he was a kid and they drained the green bay bottoms and made it into farmland and dairy's, grandpa warned about the floods.<br />So when Bangkok with it's many klongs and low elevation started filling and draining it rings a bell.

There has been quite a bit of rain around Bangkok and neighboring provinces and it seems like it's heavier than normal. Does anyone know what the long range forecast for rainfall is for this year?

Bangkok seems to be a rather precarious city and I would have to agree with another poster who said that it will likely have to be abandoned sometime in this century.

There has been quite a bit of rain around Bangkok and neighboring provinces and it seems like it's heavier than normal. Does anyone know what the long range forecast for rainfall is for this year?

Bangkok seems to be a rather precarious city and I would have to agree with another poster who said that it will likely have to be abandoned sometime in this century.

Don't worry. Plenty of storage available.