Situps

itchybum

Plan is to spend next 4 weeks warming up.

Then think we are going to Bali for 7 weeks, so shall concentrate on running on the beach each day, situps on the beach and swimming.

Hopefully that 6 weeks or so of continual action might work.

Also going to learn kite surfing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do lots of mountain climbers and burpees.

I do not know any mountain climbers and most are men anyway.

Not sure if your being serious but it's an exercise.

I have no idea what kind of exercise that might be.

Then think we are going to Bali for 7 weeks, so shall concentrate on running on the beach each day, situps on the beach and swimming.

I have just came back from Bali.My friend there is on call for medical evacuations for the next 6 weeks then off for a month.I will go back to Bali then maybe we can meet up if you like and do a bit of training together if you like.I will be staying in Legian.

• Like 1

Whats wrong with my diet ?

Take for example yesterday...and today

Breakfast : One slice of buttered raisin toast, black tea, no sugar.

Breakfast today : bowl of muesli, sliced banana, soi milk and a little cream on top.

Lunch : Usually nothing. But yesterday 4 dry biscuits with a dab of cream cheese on it.

Lunch today : nothing.

Dinner : Hot Pot. Consisting of several green vegies, carrots, squid, few prawns, chicken and pork slices dipped in chilli and lemon sauce with garlic.

Dinner today : thai food at restaurant. most likely a vegiw dish, larb and a steamed fish.

After Dinner : Often fruit of some sort.

There is still a 3/4 packet of cheezels on the top shelf opened several days ago.

A Magnum ice cream in the freezer from 2 days ago meant for dessert.

I drink a lot of water throughout the day and with dinner. Sometimes with Ribena added.

Rarely ever drink soft drinks, coke etc. In fact last coke was xmas last year, 1 can.

Drink alcohol occasionally when out, never at home, never beer and only a soda or tonic mix when I do.

We also use no salt, no sugar and no msg in cooking and we ask for that stuff to be left out at restaurants as often as possible.

So you go to all that effort, even to the extent of being a pain in the backside in a restaurant, yet you are STILL fat. You must be gutted (no pun intended)

• Like 1

Flat abs are made in the kitchen not in the gym. To lose weight high intensity interval training is much more effective and less time consuming. Try P90x or those type of work out programs or start something like Crossfit to get in shape fast if you also change your diet, don't drink, etc.

be sure not to just focus on a single exercise

i used to only do varies of heavily weighted push up and crunches only. never did i know i was looking for trouble. i did ended with some mild and nice beach body but i also ended up diagnosed with anterior pelvic tilt. have to go through physiotherapy

i used to only do varies of heavily weighted push up and crunches only. never did i know i was looking for trouble. i did ended with some mild and nice beach body but i also ended up diagnosed with anterior pelvic tilt. have to go through physiotherapy

Starting serious exercise once your over 30 can be counter productive.

Moderation, warming up and down helps.

Lifting weight is good but don't go to heavy!!

CCC

Your diet may look okay on paper but you are eating wrong. Contrary to popular thought, if you skip meals you're body will naturally want to hoard the contents of the next one thinking it may be your last (ie: lets store as much fat as possible for the imminent famine mode). Advice: eat several SMALL meals at regular intervals and never skip a meal.

As others, sit-ups are just one small part of your overall regime. Aside from swimming and rowing, cycling is about the best all-round, LOW-impact way to gain fitness and lose weight. Some great trails here.

Incidentally, if you're running on the beach, avoid doing so bear-foot on soft sand (could stress your calves, shinsplints etc), or head for the harder stuff.

Your diet may look okay on paper but you are eating wrong. Contrary to popular thought, if you skip meals you're body will naturally want to hoard the contents of the next one thinking it may be your last (ie: lets store as much fat as possible for the imminent famine mode). Advice: eat several SMALL meals at regular intervals and never skip a meal.

As others, sit-ups are just one small part of your overall regime. Aside from swimming and rowing, cycling is about the best all-round, LOW-impact way to gain fitness and lose weight. Some great trails here.

Incidentally, if you're running on the beach, avoid doing so bear-foot on soft sand (could stress your calves, shinsplints etc), or head for the harder stuff.

This is old school, it has been disproved a few times already. The body has no problems with skipping meals during a day, the only problem could be that you overcompensate the next meal and eat a lot more then planned.

What you are saying used to be a popular school of thought followed by bodybuilders but current research has disproved it.

CCC

Warming up is real important especially when your a bit older, I used to never do but now I never skip it, it can have real bad consequences if you do. An injury can make training impossible and you loose much more time as you ever did warming up

• Like 1

I have just came back from Bali.My friend there is on call for medical evacuations for the next 6 weeks then off for a month.I will go back to Bali then maybe we can meet up if you like and do a bit of training together if you like.I will be staying in Legian.

Not sure where we will be staying yet, but first 2 weeks looks like Java, then onto Bali, but want to stay somewhere away from the main areas, caggni or further out for sure.

But send me your email by pm and I shall return, then can advise a local phone number once we are there.

Cheers

Breakfast today : bowl of muesli, sliced banana, soi milk and a little cream on top.

Lunch : Usually nothing. But yesterday 4 dry biscuits with a dab of cream cheese on it.

Dinner : Hot Pot. Consisting of several green vegies, carrots, squid, few prawns, chicken and pork slices dipped in chilli and lemon sauce with garlic.

Dinner today : thai food at restaurant. most likely a vegiw dish, larb and a steamed fish.

There is still a 3/4 packet of cheezels on the top shelf opened several days ago.

I drink a lot of water throughout the day and with dinner. Sometimes with Ribena added.

Rarely ever drink soft drinks, coke etc. In fact last coke was xmas last year, 1 can.

Drink alcohol occasionally when out, never at home, never beer and only a soda or tonic mix when I do.

We also use no salt, no sugar and no msg in cooking and we ask for that stuff to be left out at restaurants as often as possible.

So you go to all that effort, even to the extent of being a pain in the backside in a restaurant, yet you are STILL fat. You must be gutted (no pun intended)

Yes, such a pain asking for food from a service provider the way you like it huh...should just let it come as they slop it together any which way.

We are not as sensitive, or scared, as you perhaps.

Don't want to upset and burden the natives with too much hey!!

Yes, such a pain asking for food from a service provider the way you like it huh...should just let it come as they slop it together any which way.

We are not as sensitive, or scared, as you perhaps.

Don't want to upset and burden the natives with too much hey!!

Old H&H sensitive and scared? Now that really is funny.

A 'service provider'? Ha ha, that sums you up right there.

We all know your 'type' mate...fussy, prententious <deleted> whose shit (apparantly) doesn't stink...'oh please no sugar or salt in our food and tell the chef to watch the msg'...I can just imagine a Thai girl jotting that down and telling the chef....ha ha. Try living a little pal.

Edited by hotandhumid

CCC

Warming up is real important especially when your a bit older, I used to never do but now I never skip it, it can have real bad consequences if you do. An injury can make training impossible and you loose much more time as you ever did warming up
Yes Rob been there done that a couple of times.

Miss the heavy weights but the joints come first.

Cycling, jogging, swimming and high rep low weights for me now.

CCC

• 2 weeks later...

A few people here have mentioned "dead lifts" as good for back pain. What are "dead lifts"? Do I need a corpse?

Dead lifts could be good for back pain, it really does strengthen the lower back. However if you don't have anyone who could help you to accomplish proper form its something you better not do.

I think the term dead is used because you have to pull the weight that is totally lying still and after each rep it has to be put back and has to lie still instead of a flowing motion that is with other exercises (could be wrong just a best guess here)