Are Houses In Thailand 'really' That Much Cheaper Than In The Uk?

Fantastic5

An apartment for many that have owned homes and relocated to Thailand, is not an option. Too small ,no space for everything, privacy, etc.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I did not move to Thailand to lower my living standards. I will never understand why some of the people I run across will lower their living standards just to stay here or should I say just exist in this country.

Home ownership here can be a good thing or bad thing and that depends on you.If you can't afford or handle/want to do the up keep or maintenance then a rental or apartment/Condo might be right for you.

Also, you get what you pay for here as in any country as far as the quality of the home you build or buy. We all know the old saying, location location location, spend the time to do the research before you rent or buy. I have a few acquaintances that are constantly moving from rental to rental because they don't take the time to research the location or ask potential neighbors questions.

This is a great place to live, rent or own. But it is what you make of it in more ways than one.

Don't be to sure about the privacy part, I have never seen my neighbours.

And as for size they do vary, They don't just come in one size.

And you can actually own it.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely, without question . . . rent.

Everyone to there own.......... and what do they need......... for me to Rent is stupid = a total waste of money......

To own the house you can do what you want when you want, paint, change things, add things, no fear of the owner selling, have dogs, build Ponds........

Had I rented then I would still have to pay rent for the next XXX years, in the 10 years if I had rented I would have paid more in rent so far than building 10 year ago.. I still have ? hopefully some more years left to live + will be rent free.

Average rent for a house same as mine in my area 8-10,000 baht/month.

To buy deposit 200,000.

Mortgage 8500-ish/month.

Say rented at 9000/month. After 8 years thats 864,000.

I paid deposit my wife pays the mortgage, yes, she does have a good salary.

Both agreed that when her contract is finished, about 2 years time we can sell for almost any offer and rent on the beach somewhere.

If we rent for 10 years we get diddly squat back on the rent, maybe not even the deposit.

Why do some people always feel the need to bring up the same old "you don't own your house" statement?

I never hear this statement from someone that has bought a home in Thailand.But always hear it someone that rents.

Jealousy, envy? Why if your a renter, would you care?

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to purchase homes in Thailand as well as Los Angeles.

Of course I would never keep all my eggs in one basket as to invest all of my money in real estate in any country.

But it's up to the individual to do as he likes. Gold diggers are in every country in the world,so that is not an excuse. People lose investments everyday, ever hear of divorce settlements?

Get over it, you'll never buy here so what do you care if someone else does?

I am just buying my own house in Thailand (although it will mostly belong to the bank).

I own it. If I couldn't own it, I wouldn't be buying it.

Definitely, without question . . . rent.

Everyone to there own.......... and what do they need......... for me to Rent is stupid = a total waste of money......

To own the house you can do what you want when you want, paint, change things, add things, no fear of the owner selling, have dogs, build Ponds........

Had I rented then I would still have to pay rent for the next XXX years, in the 10 years if I had rented I would have paid more in rent so far than building 10 year ago.. I still have ? hopefully some more years left to live + will be rent free.

Average rent for a house same as mine in my area 8-10,000 baht/month.

To buy deposit 200,000.

Mortgage 8500-ish/month.

Say rented at 9000/month. After 8 years thats 864,000.

I paid deposit my wife pays the mortgage, yes, she does have a good salary.

Both agreed that when her contract is finished, about 2 years time we can sell for almost any offer and rent on the beach somewhere.

If we rent for 10 years we get diddly squat back on the rent, maybe not even the deposit.

In CM

I am renting a 1.4Mbht house for 5,000bht/month.

I am buying a 1.8Mbht house for 12,000bht/month (25 years).

Your prices don't seem to compare to my prices, I'm assuming you are over estimating your house rental value.

Usually rental for a house is about 5% of the value, depending on how daft your tenant is.

Foreigners can be exceptionally silly with the rent they pay, Thais generally aren't.

But say your wife dumps you after 8 years, you still get diddly squat back.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Why do some people always feel the need to bring up the same old "you don't own your house" statement?

I never hear this statement from someone that has bought a home in Thailand.But always hear it someone that rents.

Jealousy, envy? Why if your a renter, would you care?

I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to purchase homes in Thailand as well as Los Angeles.

Of course I would never keep all my eggs in one basket as to invest all of my money in real estate in any country.

But it's up to the individual to do as he likes. Gold diggers are in every country in the world,so that is not an excuse. People lose investments everyday, ever hear of divorce settlements?

Get over it, you'll never buy here so what do you care if someone else does?

I am just buying my own house in Thailand (although it will mostly belong to the bank).

I own it. If I couldn't own it, I wouldn't be buying it.

Anyone can buy a condo. I don't see what the big deal is. I know you want to ram home the point that you are special but thousands upon thousands of expats own property in Thailand, no big deal. How you do it is a different topic. Why would you burden us here with the fact that you think you are unique?

I think this topic is about houses in Thailand not that you think expats can't own land in Thailand, yes?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Its simeple... Can I pay the same for a house I like 30min outside the CBD in London for the same price as a house I like 30min out of Bangkok's CBD..

Answer... NO....

Perhaps if you work in some high level corporate job, getting amazing benefits, London is better. If you are the average person pulling in 100k-150k a year yourself, Thailand is the obvious choice.

Depending on what you want. Personally, I don't rank 30 minutes outside Bangkok with 30 minutes outside a metropolis like Glasgow or HongKong or Shanghai or London, though I have to say that Soi Cowboy surpasses my experience in all those cities

A house in soi cowboy, now we is talkin.

AnotherOne American.

Read the post carefully.

I'll type this slowly to make it easier for you.

I paid the 200,000 deposit. She pays the mortgage from her salary.

In addition I don't have an extended family to take care of.

We have no kids.

The car and the pick-up are in my name

All the other bills are shared 50/50.

If she dumps me in 8 years she will be nearly 60 and she may have to tell my ashes that she's dumping me.

If she wanted she could go back to Bangkok and stay in the house her father built for her before he died.

Then I would go and live on the beach with my dogs and car and pick-up, in fact I would probably sell the car and keep the pick-up just to carry the dogs about.

So, worst case scenario is that I would have lost the 200,000 baht deposit which over 8 to 10 years is a midgies widgie in my mind.

• Like 1

AnotherOne American.

Read the post carefully.

We have no kids.

If she dumps me in 8 years she will be nearly 60 and she may have to tell my ashes that she's dumping me.

If she wanted she could go back to Bangkok and stay in the house her father built for her before he died.

Then I would go and live on the beach with my dogs and car and pick-up, in fact I would probably sell the car and keep the pick-up just to carry the dogs about.

So, worst case scenario is that I would have lost the 200,000 baht deposit which over 8 to 10 years is a midgies widgie in my mind.

Reading your post carefully, would point out, you have no claim on her house (signed form at land office), she has a 50% claim on the family car and pickup. Worst case scenario.

Anyway in all divorce scenarios, my gripe was about losing my home, not losing my money.

AnotherOne American.

Read the post carefully.

We have no kids.

Reading your post carefully, would point out, you have no claim on her house (signed form at land office), she has a 50% claim on the family car and pickup. Worst case scenario.

Anyway in all divorce scenarios, my gripe was about losing my home, not losing my money.

My car my pick-up. Her car is worth more than my two put together.

I will add that I don't think Thailand is a very stable country and there exists institutionalized prejudice against foreigners. Not the sort of place you'd want to invest in any non-liquid, immobile asset.

I have bought land and built houses in Thailand, but that was when the Pound was at 75 THB and I was young and foolish.

Having paid off a house in your home country and if you have the money to lose without consequence, then it's no problem. But if you're seriously considering buying into the Thai property market instead because prices in your home country are inflated, this in my experienced opinion is definitely not a good option.

• Like 2

Thailand cannot be compared to UK, and neither can the real estate market

Different country, different climate, different need for house, different architectures, different housing standards, different types of customers with different culture, different market law, etc etc

You cannot compare carrots and bananas.

Different country, different climate, different need for house, different architectures, different housing standards, different types of customers with different culture, different market law, etc etc

This is very true.

This is very true.

Here is my comparison

I like bananas, but I'm not keen on carrots.

This is very true.

Here is my comparison

I like bananas, but I'm not keen on carrots.

One country I would consider buying is the US where the property market has undershot some what. Probably a good time to buy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/houseprices/10088467/OECD-British-house-prices-are-31-too-high.html

Edited by MJP

Can you compare the pound to the baht? How much does the average person spend on housing in the UK? Or what percent of the average persons income is spent on housing. Some houses in Thailand are built of brick and some of wood and some of cement block. It is still housing. Houses in Thailand are cheap because labor is cheap and land is cheap and materials are cheap.

You may not like the results but in reality housing in Thailand is much cheaper than the UK. Is it the same? Of course not. London is cold Bangkok is hot. Are the building standards the same? No. Still housing is housing. It serves the same purpose.

In the West people use water heaters. In Thailand people use shower heaters that cost a lot less money. In the West people use central air conditioning. In Thailand people use much cheaper room air conditioning. It is not the same; it's much cheaper in Thailand.

Of course on paper a house in THL is cheaper.

But a house in UK would set you in a country where you have proper roads, decent public transports, social security, real education, social welfare, real police services, real medical services, access to culture, entertainment, etc and all of this has a price.

• Like 2

But a house in UK would set you in a country where you have proper roads, decent public transports, social security, real education, social welfare, real police services, real medical services, access to culture, entertainment, etc and all of this has a price.

And even with all that I would still prefer Thailand.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But your Thai GF would not laugh.png

I really didn't know that this was a commentary about living standards between the UK and Thailand. I thought it was about the price of housing in Thailand as opposed to the UK. If we have to price in the cost of proper roads, decent public transports, social security, real education,social welfare, real police services, real medical services, access to culture I have to re group.

AnotherOne American.

Read the post carefully.

We have no kids.

My car my pick-up. Her car is worth more than my two put together.

Never went near the land office. 'She' bought it ( got the mortgage) before we were married.

And on your point about losing your home etc. Look for someone that you can trust and she can trust you. I at times have used her ATM and she has mine. we both know each others PIN's.

I really didn't know that this was a commentary about living standards between the UK and Thailand. I thought it was about the price of housing in Thailand as opposed to the UK. If we have to price in the cost of proper roads, decent public transports, social security, real education,social welfare, real police services, real medical services, access to culture I have to re group.

Duh, your house in not suspended in mid air !

being set in a super welfare state has a price that definitely reflects on housing prices

But your Thai GF would not Posted Image

Huh.....

And on your point about losing your home etc. Look for someone that you can trust and she can trust you. I at times have used her ATM and she has mine. we both know each others PIN's.

Oh dear ! Why did I immediately thought of all the horror stories I've read here about TGF cheating/ripping off/ leaving with all the money ...?? Let's hope we won't read about you in that manner of TV anytime soon!
Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

In the West people use water heaters. In Thailand people use shower heaters that cost a lot less money. In the West people use central air conditioning. In Thailand people use much cheaper room air conditioning. It is not the same; it's much cheaper in Thailand.

The UK doesn't use central air, very rare (Europe is mainly the same), many houses have shower heaters (same as Thailand).

Most heating is done with radiators and a central boiler, some older houses use electric storage heating, nobody has air-con.

Think you need another topic, your waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic with most of your post with stuff all of us farangs already know. coffee1.gif