Are Houses In Thailand 'really' That Much Cheaper Than In The Uk?

Fantastic5

Are they???

Yes or no and can you back up your claim?

I think they are not! Yes, you can buy a house in town house in Thailand ฿600'000, but what do you get for that money, how much would the equivalent of a £180'000 house in Horsham cost in a area or simpler standing, or the equivalent of a £70'000 house in derby cost you I Thailand, a £250'000 house in the London suburbs compared to the suburbs of Bangkok or a £270'000 3 bedroom apartment in E14 London cost you in say Satorn in Bangkok cost you.

Does any one have any links to compare?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 bed terraced house in U.K. at seaside built with semi-engineering bricks, £100K + (Much better build quality overall), but newer houses where I come from you can hear the neighbours farting because they use stud walls.

3 bed town house Pattaya, 1,000,000 Baht needs 500,000 Baht renovation (will fall down long before my U.K. house).

No comparison in build quality between the two. My house has been standing since 1902 and still as solid as the day it was built. 1" floorboards, 9" skirting boards. dado rails, picture rails, ceiling coving 9" deep to wall and ceiling.... need I say more?

Edited by pattayadingo
  • Like 2

Are they???

I think they are not! Yes, you can buy a house in town house in Thailand ฿600'000, but what do you get for that money, how much would the equivalent of a £180'000 house in Horsham cost in a area or simpler standing, or the equivalent of a £70'000 house in derby cost you I Thailand, a £250'000 house in the London suburbs compared to the suburbs of Bangkok or a £270'000 3 bedroom apartment in E14 London cost you in say Satorn in Bangkok cost you.

I have just looked at a 3 bedroom. 2 bathroom townhouse. Concealed wiring. Small back yard etc that was 1.59 million baht. It is in a nice moo baan (estate) about 35 km from central Bangkok and 20km from outer Bangkok. Try and find a 3 bedroom house at that price ANYWHERE within that distance of LONDON. I really don't think you could. In fact you probably couldn't within that distance from any major city in the UK.

Look at DDproperty.com

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

3 bed terraced house in U.K. at seaside built with semi-engineering bricks, £100K + (Much better build quality overall), but newer houses where I come from you can hear the neighbours farting because they use stud walls.

3 bed town house Pattaya, 1,000,000 Baht needs 500,000 Baht renovation (will fall down long before my U.K. house).

No comparison in build quality between the two. My house has been standing since 1902 and still as solid as the day it was built. 1" floorboards, 9" skirting boards. dado rails, picture rails, ceiling coving 9" deep to wall and ceiling.... need I say more?

whats that about 45 grand yes

• Like 1

google BKK or Thai real estate.

you will find many agents with hundreds of listings of varied sizes and prices, they are far cheaper.

no comparison whatsoever.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38706742.html?premiumA=true

A link sowing a house in Derby for £51,000 can any one show me a link for house built as well with a garden as big for as cheap?

Are they???

I have just looked at a 3 bedroom. 2 bathroom townhouse. Concealed wiring. Small back yard etc that was 1.59 million baht. It is in a nice moo baan (estate) about 35 km from central Bangkok and 20km from outer Bangkok. Try and find a 3 bedroom house at that price ANYWHERE within that distance of LONDON. I really don't think you could. In fact you probably couldn't within that distance from any major city in the UK.

Look at DDproperty.com

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

That's 21miles the about the same distance as gatwick to London.

Send a link for the house?

When I came to live in Pattaya, I sold a property for GBP216,000 in England and bought in Thailand for THB2.56m. I transferred the cash for the property purchase at an exchange rate of 67, which makes the cost GBP38,200.......but that was 10 years ago. Now I guess my condo is worth THB4.0m at the current exchange rate of 46 would now cost about GBP87,000.

• Like 1

you will find many agents with hundreds of listings of varied sizes and prices, they are far cheaper.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-38706742.html?premiumA=true

A link sowing a house in Derby for £51,000 can any one show me a link for house built as well with a garden as big for as cheap?

so your coming on here and saying houses cost more in Thailand, ok.

I'm moving on now to talk to sensible people.

What I'm saying is, can you buy a house with the same build quility and the same amount of land in Thailand for the same price as you can in the uk.

I know you can buy a house for next to nothing in Thainad but what will it be like. I have lived just about everywhere around Bangkok, I have lived in houses that cost under ฿1m twice once in a real dump in Ramkonheang another time in mooban amonsap in Minburi, I have also lived in houses that cost ฿4m in Thailand and yest they had nice comunal facilities, but the roads where crap, the walls where hollow the foundation wasn't built propaly and there is no way any of it would be legal in the UK not to mention the size of the garden.

When coming to buy I had a budget of ฿12m and the quility wasn't bad and some of the housing estates had good roads, but they still didnt have much of a garden, not the size of my sisters house in sanderstead (suburbs or London) and another sister who lives in Horsham who payed £230,000 has a nice 3 bed semi with a very big garden and will last past her grate grandchildren.

I looked in Polyothin and to find a place the same size as my sistes in sanderstead would set me back ฿17m.

I was looking for a house I

When I came to live in Pattaya, I sold a property for GBP216,000 in England and bought in Thailand for THB2.56m. I transferred the cash for the property purchase at an exchange rate of 67, which makes the cost GBP38,200.......but that was 10 years ago. Now I guess my condo is worth THB4.0m at the current exchange rate of 46 would now cost about GBP87,000.

That's sounds about right.

What's the house I the uk worth now, with the market the way it has been, bet its not gone up much and that's £87,000 for a condo.

What I'm saying is, can you buy a house with the same build quility and the same amount of land in Thailand for the same price as you can in the uk.

I know you can buy a house for next to nothing in Thainad but what will it be like. I have lived just about everywhere around Bangkok, I have lived in houses that cost under ฿1m twice once in a real dump in Ramkonheang another time in mooban amonsap in Minburi, I have also lived in houses that cost ฿4m in Thailand and yest they had nice comunal facilities, but the roads where crap, the walls where hollow the foundation wasn't built propaly and there is no way any of it would be legal in the UK not to mention the size of the garden.

When coming to buy I had a budget of ฿12m and the quility wasn't bad and some of the housing estates had good roads, but they still didnt have much of a garden, not the size of my sisters house in sanderstead (suburbs or London) and another sister who lives in Horsham who payed £230,000 has a nice 3 bed semi with a very big garden and will last past her grate grandchildren.

I looked in Polyothin and to find a place the same size as my sistes in sanderstead would set me back ฿17m.

Thais don't tend to do gardens. You said houses now we are talking gardens. If you have 12 million. Build it yourself then you get the quality you want ( possibly :D)

Different countries different style of build. Many from the UK would not be happy with American wooden house building but that's how they do it.

But yes I kinda agree to get same or similar UK quality would be more than the standard Thai houses. But I also think that since they started building with Q con or Superblock the buildings are getting better.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

The £34,500 house (1.59 million B)

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/3-bedroom-townhouse-in-sam-phran-nakhon-pathom-507101

When looking at houses in Thailand it is very difficult to match exactly the same as most Thais don't have or like gardens. So I tend to look at general build and floor space. But I agree the lack of road space etc is annoying.

Edited by thaicbr
  • Like 1

A lot of the cost is in the land, as in the UK you can are only permitted to build on so much of your plot, compared to the Thailand, where you can build a house covering the whole spec of the plot.

I wanted the space of the garden, to me that's the main benefit of owning a house compared to a apartment, that and you own the the free hold, but it looks like I will just get a apartment for now.

Thais don't tend to do gardens. You said houses now we are talking gardens. If you have 12 million. Build it yourself then you get the quality you want ( possibly :D)

Different countries different style of build. Many from the UK would not be happy with American wooden house building but that's how they do it.

But yes I kinda agree to get same or similar UK quality would be more than the standard Thai houses. But I also think that since they started building with Q con or Superblock the buildings are getting better.

Edited by Fantastic5

what about all the ongoing costs of owning a house in uk,such as land and council taxes,how much to get a plumber or a sparkie to do work,or a painter to do a job...certainly no comparison to here in thailand

That's true but at least you could find a trained sparkier or plumber. A LOT more difficult here in Thailand .... I mean a trades man capable of quality work.

Have a look at coolthaihouse.com. loads of interesting builds.

• Like 1

A lot of the cost is in the land, as in the UK you can are only permitted to build on so much of your plot, compared to the Thailand, where you can build a house covering the whole spec of the plot.

I wanted the space of the garden, to me that's the main benefit of owning a house compared to a apartment, that and you own the the free hold, but it looks like I will just get a apartment for now. :)

Well your wife would own the freehold ie the land :D

The £34,500 house (1.59 million B)

http://www.ddproperty.com/en/property/3-bedroom-townhouse-in-sam-phran-nakhon-pathom-507101

When looking at houses in Thailand it is very difficult to match exactly the same as most Thais don't have or like gardens. So I tend to look at general build and floor space. But I agree the lack of road space etc is annoying.

That's quite a nice place for the money. :)

Not me, I will and do own my own land.

I wanted the space of the garden, to me that's the main benefit of owning a house compared to a apartment, that and you own the the free hold, but it looks like I will just get a apartment for now. :)

Well your wife would own the freehold ie the land :D

Edited by Fantastic5
  • Like 1

what about all the ongoing costs of owning a house in uk,such as land and council taxes,how much to get a plumber or a sparkie to do work,or a painter to do a job...certainly no comparison to here in thailand

Agree, no comparison as here you need 4 to do same job and repeat it at lesser intervals.

• Like 1

I'm about to buy a new build house in CM, 3 bed, 3 shower, 12Km from the moat for 1.8Mbht.

So a new house 12km from the center of the countries (arguably) 2nd biggest city for $60,000 or UKP 40,000

Find me a similar new house in as good/popular an area of UK/US for the same price.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

If you want to live like a local, they used to be cheaper. But even in the dumpy area I live, that is changing, in great part due to property skyrocketing recently.

But if you want to live like a westerner, they are more expensive that in the States, with obvious exceptions where property values are high.

I can build on a canal lot, in Port Charlotte, Florida, for less than I can build here in Nakhon Si Thammarhat, and get a much nicer house, neighborhood, and excellent infrastructure.

I agree with you, OP.

• Like 1

If you want to live like a local, they used to be cheaper. But even in the dumpy area I live, that is changing, in great part due to property skyrocketing recently.

But if you want to live like a westerner, they are more expensive that in the States, with obvious exceptions where property values are high.

I can build on a canal lot, in Port Charlotte, Florida, for less than I can build here in Nakhon Si Thammarhat, and get a much nicer house, neighborhood, and excellent infrastructure.

I agree with you, OP.

Pretty much EVERYTHING is cheaper in the US.. We are talking UK. where pretty much everything is expensive biggrin.png

• Like 2

They are cheap, true, but useless. I had master craftsmen in my house who actually tried to weld plastic pipes to the zinc roof gutters. Had to exchange the water pump last week because the old one broke, and when the person who called himself an 'engineer' was done I discovered that I couldn't put the plastic cover on the pump because he didn't fit the pipes to the pump in the proper way. I had TV technicians who laid cables criss-cross along the walls, and bridged a couple of metres of empty space for good measure. Had to tell him to do it again, and this time along the corners between floor and wall. My GF put her fan a long way from the next socket and has to use an extention cable, she didn't put it under the bed as normal people would do, but on it and so she sleeps with a five socket distribution box.

• Like 1