What's The Weather Like At The Moment In Koh Chang?

Peteinbkk31

Hi,

Have a holiday booked in Koh Chang for friday to sunday and have checked on weather.com and it says it's gonna be raining everyday, but is it raining like it is in Bangkok at the moment, just for an hour or two and then no rain, or is it raining all day ??

What are the boat crossings like at the moment too, don't mind if it's raining a little bit but don't fancy a storm boat ride ....

Hope I don't have to cancel the trip as I'm looking forwar to it, hope it's just a case of raining for a few hours at the most.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Raining pretty good here south of Pattaya. Had a big storm yesterday. Clouded up now and I can hear the thunder.

It normally doesn't rain all day anywhere here in Thailand, as you probably know. With that being said, it can be crappy all day.

As for the ferry, you should be OK. If it's really bad, they'll cancel it. Ya just never know.

Best of luck!!!

• Like 1

It was fairly miserable today, rained most of the day. However, generally the past week had rain in mornings and then cleared up. Also, the weather can be quite different depending on where you are on the island.

Anyhow, it's lovely on the island at present.

• Like 1

The ferry crossing is like a mill pond anytime I've been there. The fully-parked cars on the lower deck keep the vessel solid during the (only 25 mins) crossing as well.

Raining here in Rayong now, mostly at night only though. If you have already booked a long weekend away from Bkk, I'd grasp it with both hands.

The ferry crossing is like a mill pond anytime I've been there. The fully-parked cars on the lower deck keep the vessel solid during the (only 25 mins) crossing as well.

Raining here in Rayong now, mostly at night only though. If you have already booked a long weekend away from Bkk, I'd grasp it with both hands.

I've had a few rough crossings. And I do remember it being closed a time or two in the past. Really depends on the direction of the wind. But yes, normally it's a very easy crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

We are looking to have a few days in Ko Chang ... but it appears that the weather is not too good at the moment and also in the near future ... is it actually as bad as it looks on http://www.yr.no/place/Thailand/Trat/Ko_Chang/long.html

We like the look of Seaview Hotel ... it's a little pricy and a little out of the way but should suit us. Anyone know much about this hotel please?

We will possibly wait until the outlook looks better, book and then drive down from BK the next day

thanks

We are looking to have a few days in Ko Chang ... but it appears that the weather is not too good at the moment and also in the near future ... is it actually as bad as it looks on http://www.yr.no/place/Thailand/Trat/Ko_Chang/long.html

We like the look of Seaview Hotel ... it's a little pricy and a little out of the way but should suit us. Anyone know much about this hotel please?

We will possibly wait until the outlook looks better, book and then drive down from BK the next day

thanks

It looks like this...http://www2.tmd.go.t...ar/sattahip.php

Edited by cloghead

thanks

It looks like this...http://www2.tmd.go.t...ar/sattahip.php

Thank you Mr Cloghead. ... by the way what do the colours mean? If I'm not mistaken that is an instantaneous picture anyway, whereas I really need a forecast for a few days ... not that forecasts are all that accurate ... When the weather 'looks' to be okay for a few days we will book and drive down that day ... anyway thanks for your efforts. This is probably more use to me http://www.yr.no/place/Thailand/Trat/Koh_Chang/long.html

• 5 weeks later...

I've had a few rough crossings. And I do remember it being closed a time or two in the past. Really depends on the direction of the wind. But yes, normally it's a very easy crossing.

It can get a bit rough - but that's all it takes - no matter how many cars "holding it down" - if any water slops into the car decks it'll just sink like a stone.....and check how little freeboard there is on those ferries!

Koh chang is the wettest island in Thailabnnd so saying what the rain is like near Pattaya is like comparing chalk and cheese.

It can get a bit rough - but that's all it takes - no matter how many cars "holding it down" - if any water slops into the car decks it'll just sink like a stone.....and check how little freeboard there is on those ferries!

Koh chang is the wettest island in Thailabnnd so saying what the rain is like near Pattaya is like comparing chalk and cheese.

"Wettest Island in Thailand" Is there some list available? What you say about the ferry might be right, is there any stats on how many have sunk in the past, I wonder?

Month Minimum Temperature (°C) Maximum Temperature (°C) Amout of Rainfall (mm) Rainy day (day) January 20.7 31.0 38.5 4 February 22.3 31.3 68.1 6 March 23.4 32.1 104.5 9 April 24.2 32.9 138.3 12 May 24.3 32.3 410.1 22 June 23.8 30.6 887.3 26 July 23.6 30.4 819.1 26 August 23.7 30.0 1098.0 28 September 23.5 30.4 670.7 25 October 23.0 31.0 359.0 20 November 22.5 31.6 93.3 10 December 21.3 31.2 23.0 3

Yep, Trat is the wettest province in Thailand. Koh Chang catches the bad weather because it acts like a "sail" due to the mountainous terrain.

The chart above is the average temperatures/rainfall over the last 30 year period.

edit: the chart didn't want to play nice so you can view it here: http://www.tmd.go.th/en/province_stat.php?StationNumber=48501

Edited by cloghead
  • Like 1

Have all the flood waters cleared in Chantaburi and Trat - I'm heading through there on my motorbike Wed to cross into Cambodia at Koh Kong

Any info much appriciated

The roads are clear at present, you should have no problems