Back Bacon From Wiltshire.

trainman34014

All you Brit's out there who miss 'proper' bacon can now get stuck into as many bacon sandwiches as you can eat. Just left Makro on 108 and they are stocking three types of frozen Wiltshire back bacon that i've never seen there before. Could be my age but sure it wasn't there last month. Comes in 1 kilo' bags at 260-275 a kilo', which is comparable to the price in Britain now.

Defrosting right now ready for sausage egg and bacon and baked beans for breakfast....can hardly wait !

• Like 2

I LOVE good American style bacon (which is almost impossible to find in Thailand) and could never see what the Brits were talking about as most British bacon that I've had here was nothing to jump and down about. However, I got some good British style bacon one time at the Olde Bell and have too admit that it was darn good too. I'm guessing that - like American bacon - it is normally much better back home.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure that I have..over 7 years....tried and tasted every bacon produced in Thailand available here in CM.

None of them have equaled the taste I remember from back home. One brand of dry cured?? still ouzed white liquid when I fried it !

I have produced my own Bacon...wet and dry cures,but still not the same.

My guess is that the Thai pig breed has to take the blame.

Thesedays I am buying the dry cured "Hapico' bacon and 'Belucky' as being the nearest to my memories of what bacon should taste like. The Belucky if fried to a frazzle produces a hell of a lot of tasty fat,which isnt bad for a quick dripping on toast snack or fried bread.

Well; the breakfast went down well, mainly thanks to the Ayam beans. The back bacon is not too bad and beats the American style crap we get here for flavour etc but naturally it don't taste like home.

Ug; you've probably never tasted bacon from free-range Pigs reared in England. Most likely you were fed Dutch or Danish back bacon which is what is served up on most tables and tastes like...well, water really. Sounds like you had the real thing at the Olde Bell though , most probably 'smoked' which tastes a lot better. I've eaten a lot of 'Canadian Bacon' in the US, maybe a good few hundred kilo's over 25 years of work visits but never did find really tasty results.

i actually find ayam brand not to be too bad. softer and bigger texture. you have to get the light version which isnt that sweet

on the other hand the bacon you mention . . . lets forget it now, its always been there. get the proper back bacon from sausage king, they even have the jimmy dean style sausages

I LOVE good American style bacon (which is almost impossible to find in Thailand) and could never see what the Brits were talking about as most British bacon that I've had here was nothing to jump and down about. However, I got some good British style bacon one time at the Olde Bell and have too admit that it was darn good too. I'm guessing that - like American bacon - it is normally much better back home.

American bacon is sweet and fatty. British bacon should be lean (unless you like streaky which is fatty) - although a lot of the bacon in British shops is Danish. It's what you get used to - but don't know what you've been eating that's described as British bacon.

Edited by Baerboxer

re

Sausage Kings Back Bacon is GREAT

hes right !

and his 99 baht breakfast aint bad : )

dave2

I like the King's breakfast, good deal, he and the wife are really friendly too, damn breath of fresh air!

re

hes right !

dave2

That looks good. Where can I get that?

Check out this thread for contact and map

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/596286-falang-thai-food-at-cheap-prices-sausage-kings-place-san-sai/?hl=%2Bmap+%2Bto+%2Bsausage+%2Bking#entry5846373

re

hes right !

dave2

That looks good. Where can I get that?

Check out this thread for contact and map

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/596286-falang-thai-food-at-cheap-prices-sausage-kings-place-san-sai/?hl=%2Bmap+%2Bto+%2Bsausage+%2Bking#entry5846373

I went and had the 99 baht breakfast (in late afternoon) the other day. What a fabulous deal, and a nice spot to relax, too. I like the chickens walking around.