Hungary, Thailand Agree To Cooperate On Water Management

webfact

Hungary, Thailand agree to cooperate on water management
Supalak Ganjanakhundee
The Nation
Budapest

BUDAPEST: -- Thailand and Hungary have agreed to cooperate in water management of the Danube and Mekong rivers.

"We fully support Hungary's initiative on Danube-Mekong cooperation and will explore the possibility of having concrete cooperation in the near future," Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said after meeting with his Hungarian counterpart Janos Martonyi in Budapest on Tuesday.

During his official visit on Monday and Tuesday, there were reports that the Danube River was rising fast and Budapest was preparing for a flood that could possibly last for 10 days.

"Hungarian experts are keen on this matter although it is very rare that the Danube would overflow and cover Budapest," Surapong said."They can estimate the level and duration of the flood."

Like the mekong River in Southeast Asia, the Danube is an international river in Europe. For such waterways, water utilisation and water-related disaster management require cooperation among riparian states.

Hungary and many countries in the Danube basin have long experience in water and river management, which Thailand and countries in the mekong basin could learn from.

Hungary sent representatives to the Asia-Pacific Water Summit in Chiang Mai last month and invited Thailand to join the Budapest Water Summit in October to continue the dialogue and exchange views on water management.

Martonyi urged Surapong to raise the issues of climate change and energy at the Asean ministerial meeting in Brunei late this month to forge cooperation between Asean and the European Union.

The two foreign ministers discussed plans for agreements on prisoner transfers and investment promotion.

Surapong invited Hungarian investors to participate in the government-sponsored Bt2-trillion development mega-project in Thailand as Hungary has expertise in many fields such as railway systems.

"I told them that investment in growing Asian economies like Thailand might help the Hungarian economy recover from the European crisis," he said.

Surapong led a delegation of various academic and research agencies to meet with the Hungarian Academy of Sciences to seek support on research and development.

Hungary pledged to grant 15 scholarships to Thai students to study in various fields in Hungary, notably medicine and science.

"If we want to be a medical hub, we should have our physicians study in various regions," he said. Among Asean countries, Malaysia has plenty of medical students in Hungary but Thailand has few.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-06

Hungary and many countries in the Danube basin have long experience in water and river management, which Thailand and countries in the mekong basin could learn from.

but, Surapong, you previously said,

"Hungarian experts are keen on this matter although it is very rare that the Danube would overflow and cover Budapest," Surapong said."They can estimate the level and duration of the flood."

How could "keen" Hungarians be better than, say, the Dutch for managing serous flooding situations; especially given the key fact that the Danube rarely threatens Budapest. That's completely different from the situation in Thailand. Climate change means that the Chao Praya threat increases over coming decades, with the World Bank and other observers noting that Bangkok will soon be one of the most flood prone cities in the world. I can understand scrimping a little but Hungary?! This almost certainly has to do with which country was cheapest and would provide the most kickbacks to politicians and their minions.

• Like 1

>>"Hungarian experts are keen on this matter although it is very rare that the Danube would overflow and cover Budapest," Surapong said."They can estimate the level and duration of the flood."

How could "keen" Hungarians be better than, say, the Dutch for managing serous flooding situations; especially given the key fact that the Danube rarely threatens Budapest. That's completely different from the situation in Thailand. Climate change means that the Chao Praya threat increases over coming decades, with the World Bank and other observers noting that Bangkok will soon be one of the most flood prone cities in the world. I can understand scrimping a little but Hungary?! This almost certainly has to do with which country was cheapest and would provide the most kickbacks to politicians and their minions.

Hungary is one of the most corrupt countries in Europe that's why.

Edited by bubblegum
  • Like 1

The Forign Minister was trying to drum up foreign investment comitment/money, just as the PM has been spending her trips abroad, doing. The frequent flyer milage should last both a life time, as will their passport stamps, (see how many countries I have been to), but they seem to be having problems raising operating capital to keep the dependents (Ministries/Cabinet) satisfied.

Is this a wind up? What on earth connection is there between the Danube and the Mekong? And in any case, it was the Chao Phraya that flooded Bangkok. This sounds like an excuse for politicians to go on luxury-hotel 'fact finding' trips to the respective capitals.

• Like 1

Danube-Mekong cooperation

Very useful this, when one floods, the other can take up the run-off. rolleyes.gif

Great! Will we see extended riverboat cruises in the future?

Perhaps a cross-continental shipping canal? I think we're really onto to something.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Is this a wind up? What on earth connection is there between the Danube and the Mekong? And in any case, it was the Chao Phraya that flooded Bangkok. This sounds like an excuse for politicians to go on luxury-hotel 'fact finding' trips to the respective capitals.

Exactly. Doesn't the Mekong river have the opposite problem of NOT ENOUGH water due to the Chinese dams up river?

post-62652-13704955067618_thumb.jpg

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Hungarian is as impossible a language to learn as Thai. I wonder how many Thai/Hungarian interpreters there are in the world...

It's a good job most (educated) Hungarians speak perfect English. I guess the participants in this jaunt spoke in the international language, English.

• Like 1

>"Hungarian experts are keen on this matter although it is very rare that the Danube would overflow and cover Budapest," Surapong said."They can estimate the level and duration of the flood."

Grandstanding to show the administration really cares... About what?

A synergistic idea. Only if more nations and people were to collaborate on these important ecological time bombs.

There is much to be gained by all. I wish the Dutch were involved too, as they are masters of water management and control.

Forget the Dutch......that is past tense. They can't even buy a proper high speed train and now the country is upto the neck in a scandal. Paying millions of euro's for a train that can't operate. If they come to help Thailand it is only to recover the money they lost on scandals in Netherlands. Fraud is the main word there.

Forget the Dutch......that is past tense. They can't even buy a proper high speed train and now the country is upto the neck in a scandal. Paying millions of euro's for a train that can't operate. If they come to help Thailand it is only to recover the money they lost on scandals in Netherlands. Fraud is the main word there.

Perfect partners then.. Thailand is trying for a hispeed train that can't operate as well.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm Hungarian and I can hardly imagine what we can teach to the thais. Honestly last time when we had a serious flood at the river Tisza, we were not able to do anything than waiting. 2 years ago I've seen the flood in Th, and they behave much different. We r leaving the flooded parts till the water goes away. The Thais are living in the water. Ive seen a lot of pic about ppl who is siting in a bufet and eating, while the lower half of the was under water.

We have planed to build 7 flood dams, but cuz of the currupcy only 2 of them is finished. In Thailand there is a different currupcy. Eg. this year 2 month ago the government decided to take the cigarette business from the ppl cuz they want the money from it. They just make a law that nobody is allowed to sell cigar just those who they choose. Naturally the applications are top secret, but mostly the family members and friends have won.

The only thing the two countries have in common ( I'm speaking about water management only) is that they they both have problems with flooding rivers and both don't have a clue how to deal with it...

Really?

Landlocked Hungary is situated within the heart of the Danube Basin. With ~25% of the country comprising floodplains and 25% of the population living in reclaimed floodplains, flooding is a key issue. Hungary is reliant on upstream countries for water supply and the vast majority of public supplies come from groundwater.

The geography suggests otherwise. Hungary has done a remarkable job with its flood monitoring and mitigation systems.

It must come as a shock to some TVFers that know nothing about Hungary, that it is one of the leaders in Europe when it comes to preventing the impact of pollution from flooding. Hungary has suffered catastrophic loss in the past and has invested heavily in programs to address the issue. One of the lasting after effects of Thailand's floods is the contamination of ground water systems, and on this Hungary is considered one of the world's foremost experts on managing the problem.

Thailand's fish farms were hit hard during the past floods, and Hungary is one of he few countries that has experience in dealing with the issue. Of 876 natural and 150 artificial water bodies identified in Hungary, 579 freshwater surface bodies have been classified as being “at risk” from organic, nutrient or priority hazardous substances (according to EU Water Framework Directive definitions). Approximately 70% of artificial lakes (mainly fishponds) are “at risk” from organic and nutrient loads.

With 21,712km2 of Hungary below river flood level, flood control is a key consideration. Crucially, this area includes 1.8 million ha arable land, 32% of the rail network, 15% of roads and 2000+ industrial plants. The highest flood discharge in the Danube is 20 times low flow; flooding on the major rivers can last several months. In smaller rivers e.g. the Körös system, the ratio is several hundred to one and floods can develop in a few hours. Devastating, fast-rising ice-jam floods are especially dangerous. Flood control over past centuries has resulted in the construction of 4181km of defences (mainly earthen embankments). Ten emergency lowland flood reservoirs (with a total volume of 360 million m3) provide protection for 97% of the floodplain area.

For those TVFers ignorant of Hungary and who somewhow think Hungarians are primitive boobs, I suggest they do some reading. Hungary is one of the better sources of assistance.

Great Everyone knows Soros comes from Hungary.

And for the last thousand years Hungray number one for water management

Oh yes, it's a plot from tha aged George. He sat in New York and hatched this scheme. I don't know if you are aware, but over the past year, he has been preoccupied with some personal issues.

BTW, are you aware that Hungary is an important and leading member on the European flood mitigation program, not that we would want actual facts to get in the way. Hungarian flood experts have worked in many countries assisting them. Flood expertise is a component of Hungarian foeign assistance and development programs.

The only thing the two countries have in common ( I'm speaking about water management only) is that they they both have problems with flooding rivers and both don't have a clue how to deal with it...

Really?

Landlocked Hungary is situated within the heart of the Danube Basin. With ~25% of the country comprising floodplains and 25% of the population living in reclaimed floodplains, flooding is a key issue. Hungary is reliant on upstream countries for water supply and the vast majority of public supplies come from groundwater. 

The geography suggests otherwise. Hungary  has done a remarkable job  with its flood monitoring and mitigation systems.

It must come as a shock to some TVFers  that know nothing about Hungary, that it is one of the leaders in Europe when it comes to preventing the impact of pollution from flooding. Hungary has suffered catastrophic loss in the past and has invested heavily in programs to address the issue. One of the lasting after effects of Thailand's floods is the contamination of ground water systems, and on this Hungary is considered one of the world's foremost experts on managing the problem.

Thailand's  fish farms were hit hard during the past floods, and Hungary is one of he few countries that has experience  in dealing with the issue. Of 876 natural and 150 artificial water bodies identified in Hungary, 579 freshwater surface bodies have been classified as being “at risk” from organic, nutrient or priority hazardous substances (according to EU Water Framework Directive definitions). Approximately 70% of artificial lakes (mainly fishponds) are “at risk” from organic and nutrient loads.  

With 21,712km2 of Hungary below river flood level, flood control is a key consideration. Crucially, this area includes 1.8 million ha arable land, 32% of the rail network, 15% of roads and 2000+ industrial plants. The highest flood discharge in the Danube is 20 times low flow; flooding on the major rivers can last several months. In smaller rivers e.g. the Körös system, the ratio is several hundred to one and floods can develop in a few hours. Devastating, fast-rising ice-jam floods are especially dangerous. Flood control over past centuries has resulted in the construction of 4181km of defences (mainly earthen embankments). Ten emergency lowland flood reservoirs (with a total volume of 360 million m3) provide protection for 97% of the floodplain area.  

For those  TVFers ignorant of Hungary and who somewhow think Hungarians are primitive boobs, I suggest they  do some reading. Hungary is one of the  better sources of assistance.

It probably came as a mild surprise to you as well after you Googled it.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I'm Hungarian and I can hardly imagine what we can teach to the thais. Honestly last time when we had a serious flood at the river Tisza, we were not able to do anything than waiting. 2 years ago I've seen the flood in Th, and they behave much different. We r leaving the flooded parts till the water goes away. The Thais are living in the water. Ive seen a lot of pic about ppl who is siting in a bufet and eating, while the lower half of the was under water.

We have planed to build 7 flood dams, but cuz of the currupcy only 2 of them is finished. In Thailand there is a different currupcy. Eg. this year 2 month ago the government decided to take the cigarette business from the ppl cuz they want the money from it. They just make a law that nobody is allowed to sell cigar just those who they choose. Naturally the applications are top secret, but mostly the family members and friends have won.

Don't be so down on yourselves. Most of the planned Thai projects won't be completed either!

Really?

The geography suggests otherwise. Hungary has done a remarkable job with its flood monitoring and mitigation systems.

It must come as a shock to some TVFers that know nothing about Hungary, that it is one of the leaders in Europe when it comes to preventing the impact of pollution from flooding. Hungary has suffered catastrophic loss in the past and has invested heavily in programs to address the issue. One of the lasting after effects of Thailand's floods is the contamination of ground water systems, and on this Hungary is considered one of the world's foremost experts on managing the problem.

Thailand's fish farms were hit hard during the past floods, and Hungary is one of he few countries that has experience in dealing with the issue. Of 876 natural and 150 artificial water bodies identified in Hungary, 579 freshwater surface bodies have been classified as being “at risk” from organic, nutrient or priority hazardous substances (according to EU Water Framework Directive definitions). Approximately 70% of artificial lakes (mainly fishponds) are “at risk” from organic and nutrient loads.

For those TVFers ignorant of Hungary and who somewhow think Hungarians are primitive boobs, I suggest they do some reading. Hungary is one of the better sources of assistance.

Wow GK what a rant and all of that 1 1/2 hrs after someone from Hungary posted (clue, the one immediately above yours). The Hungarian obviously knows nothing about Hungary as well according to you rolleyes.gif Sometimes Google is not always your friend ;)

In the Netherlands it's seldom the rivers fall dry because someone takes too much water. We do have problems when the major rivers like the Rhine bring too much water. No Ploddy, no water pushing machines, so we had to invent something else. We call it "Room for the River".

On youtube search for "room for the river" and you'll find various interesting clips. Maybe start with
General:
Dutch Project: