Unique, Interesting, Or Strange Spa Treatments?

thaiemma

Fish pedicure is no longer unique. But please be aware, that bacterias and fungus from other users, wil never be cleaned out, as the necessary chemicals would kill the fish. You could easily catch an infection. A bit similar to having unprotected sex with a sexworker.

• Like 1

There are a lot of quack "health" treatments out there in some high-end Thai spas...such as enema "cleansing" (the human body actually is a self-cleansing machine...imagine that, huh?)

Fish pedicure is no longer unique. But please be aware, that bacterias and fungus from other users, wil never be cleaned out, as the necessary chemicals would kill the fish. You could easily catch an infection. A bit similar to having unprotected sex with a sexworker.

But less fun?

No doubt there are some who would claim that fish pedicures should be banned because it amounts to fish exploitation. Those poor fish being forced to nibble away at those dirty smelly feet.

Edited by jukebox

That's why I go to the local waterfalls and streams and let those little slippery fish there have a hangnail meal on me. Just the Kinda guy I am.

• Like 2

No doubt there are some who would claim that fish pedicures should be banned because it amounts to fish exploitation. Those poor fish being forced to nibble away at those dirty smelly feet.

+1

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Thaiemma,

Well, that's a promising first post !

There has never been anything in Chiang Mai to equal the body-body bungee massage once available at Khun Chuwit's "Monkey House" in Bangkok. Khun Chuwit, of course, has now to metamorphosed from "social work" into a distinguished career as an elected pol, a horsefly on the Thai body politic, goring, and goading, all existing political parties, BIB, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuwit_Kamolvisit

I described the accounts I had heard (of course, I never tried it) about this sensational once-in-a-lifetime experience (often fatal to the farang) as early as May, 2006, on the old soc.culture.thai discussion forum (if you are clever, you can find it).

Then I mentioned, here on ThaiVisa, in 2010, Chiang Mai's aching need for such a radical tourist attraction:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/331093-ideas-for-farang-businesses-in-chiang-mai/#entry3278185

I would have gone to (just to) see it, long ago, in Bangkok, but they wanted 5,000 baht to watch, that was US $ 200 in those days !

If Chiang Mai can afford to erect a Promenada, and Night Safari, I wonder why it could not finance something with the exotic luxury that sprang forth from Khun Chuwit's genius in architecture, and adventure, something that would equal the "other world-class appointments and facilities ... 100 meter long cascading entry-way of marble fountains that play chimes, live nude mermaid swims-with-rare-fishes show in twenty meter pool with wrap-around view" complete with "medical staff with defibrillators and special decompression chambers for chemical related priapism ... ice-plunges for Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians ... special hot-chili massage with almond oil scrub followed by orchid blossom spritzer."

~o:37;

Edited by jukebox, Today, 11:31 .

I just have to wonder how inane this post was before it was edited.

• Like 1

Edited by jukebox, Today, 11:31 .

I just have to wonder how inane this post was before it was edited.

Ha ha ha! Thanks for your comment amexpat.

I had to edit it because I had left out the word "claim" In the first sentence.

I was not expressing a personal opinion; it was I guess an attempt at humour. English humour can be like English wine in that it does not seem to travel very well - at least if you're American.

There are people out there who genuinely seem to believe that fish pedicures amount to fish exploitation. Click below

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=is+fish+pedicure+cruel&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

for a wide choice of websites on this subject.

Surprisingly, some of those commentators seem to be American. Ha, ha.

• Like 1

Ah, so you guess it was an attempt at humour. English humor can be wonderful: Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Derek and Clive, et al.

English wine (English wine?) not so much. Perhaps you could put as much effort into your attempts at humour as you do at yank bashing?

Ah, so you guess it was an attempt at humour. English humor can be wonderful: Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Derek and Clive, et al.

English wine (English wine?) not so much. Perhaps you could put as much effort into your attempts at humour as you do at yank bashing?

Thank you once again for your comments amexpat.

You say that I am "yank bashing". If as an American you feel battered and bruised by my comments above then you must have very sensitive skin.

The moderators seem to act very quickly on this website. If they had felt that I was "bashing" you, rather than, as I was, gently teasing you, my post would have been deleted. And rightly so! Bullying and impoliteness have no place on this site.

Returning to the OP's original post in which he asked about "unique, interesting or strange spa treatments".

Here is an Hawaiian variation on the Law of Attraction. It is on offer at a spa near me on Koh Samui. It is mixed in with African, Indian (as in Native American) and reiki influences. I doubt that it is being offered anywhere else in Thailand and so in that sense it is "unique". Some of you may find it "interesting" or even "strange". It is at least different.

The session is offered by an American called Paulo Rambo. I have met him a few times at the spa and we have had one or two long chats. I like him. I sense that he genuinely wants to help people to improve the quality of their lives.

One of the stars of the DVD version of Rhonda Byrne's book "The Secret" was Michael Beckwith. Paulo told me that he spent a lot of time with Michael Beckwith in the years before he was made internationally famous by the DVD and was greatly influenced by him.

For some reason, I cannot provide a direct link (hence the "edit" button again). If however you copy and paste the following into Google or YouTube the video should come up. Apologies for the inconvenience.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7r8CneDbQ

Edited by jukebox

That's why I go to the local waterfalls and streams and let those little slippery fish there have a hangnail meal on me. Just the Kinda guy I am.

Local waterfalls? I would love to see some of these when I come in a few weeks! Can you share details?