How Much For Monthly Bike Rental In Koh Phangan?

I'm not exactly cheap (ok, maybe a little because I'm Scottish), but I don't want to be bent over when I rent a bike on Koh Phangan.

I goot quoted 5K for the month, which is very expensive when you consider it's 2X cheaper in Chiang Mai.

I know I'm not in CM anymore, but how much can I pick one up for? There are dozens of places all around my full of bikes, so one would think they might like to make money instead of someone going to the shop next door.

Thanks

On Samui 2500-3000 month

hold tight that is a very random price. depends on the bike. how new it is what make it is

some bike go for about 6500 per month some about 4 k some 3 or 2 k

yes if u r new they might start the haggerling higher maybe 4 k is reasonable but then again depends on the bike.

i dont really haggle i only buy things that are set prices but i can afford to because i have been here a long time and have picked my shops where i do all my business such as dvd's bike rental, extra. everything else i do in tescos or anywhere other than a market i hate haggerling i just cannot be bothered then i wont pay over the odds either. if they are lucky an someone wants to haggle i shall just give them the price what i am going to pay them if they dont accept it then i move on.

i dont play game like as

they say 5000 i say 1000 they say 4500 i say 2000 i just offer what i am willing to pay probably between 3 and 4 depending on the bike then off whooosh.

• Like 2

On Samui 2500-3000 month

hold tight that is a very random price. depends on the bike. how new it is what make it is

some bike go for about 6500 per month some about 4 k some 3 or 2 k

yes if u r new they might start the haggerling higher maybe 4 k is reasonable but then again depends on the bike.

i dont really haggle i only buy things that are set prices but i can afford to because i have been here a long time and have picked my shops where i do all my business such as dvd's bike rental, extra. everything else i do in tescos or anywhere other than a market i hate haggerling i just cannot be bothered then i wont pay over the odds either. if they are lucky an someone wants to haggle i shall just give them the price what i am going to pay them if they dont accept it then i move on.

i dont play game like as

they say 5000 i say 1000 they say 4500 i say 2000 i just offer what i am willing to pay probably between 3 and 4 depending on the bike then off whooosh.

Yes, ....well said Big C.... (even understandable thumbsup.gifbiggrin.pngw00t.gif )

If it's an older clunker of a bike, the price will be less.... whether KP or Samui... You can pay 5000 or more on Samui too...

I think the OP should just shop around and look at the different bikes and talk price... How long term is this anyway?

When renting a bike in KPG, it pays to spend some time assessing the bike's mechanical condition before you hand over the $. And in many shops, it's all about how much they are willing to rip you off when you return the bike, holding your passport hostage until you pay for repairs to scratches that seemingly materialized out of nowhere. There is little value and a lot of downside to renting a bike from the seemingly cheaper shops in KPG. And in the past it's been known for rentals to cut brake cables in the hope the lessee damages the scooter.

For the best well-kept and newest bikes, as well as some atypical and rare honesty, try Om's at Haad Rin here. The Nepalese guys both there and at the bigger dirt bike rental across the road are fairly much the only honest rentals left on that side of the island. Mention you'd like a longer-term rental and he'll do his best to give you a good deal. Avoid all other rental shops in Haad Rin (and some in Thongsala), as many are borderline criminals. If you're landing in Thongsala, try Pim's travel agency at this location, run by a really lovely and honest lady (with family in CM).

Keep in mind that KPG is the Wild West of Thailand, and has little resemblance to CM's civility. Take care riding a bike in that environment.

Edited by Jose

Three shops I have dealt with over on KP that I don't think will rip people off, in addition to Jose's suggestion :

1. Joy Computer shop, between Tongsala and Ban Tai (water side) Guy's name is Por....

2. Kate rental Shop, near ferry terminal...(Tongsala) just up from 7-11 from ferry terminal.... straight up, 50 meters, the street is divided by trees...

3. Nawin Store, in Maehaad.... a bit off the beaten track unless you are on the NW corner... wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

3K. 100 a day. Maybe 2 - 2.5K'ish if it's a crappy old bike. I have a new Honda Click for 3K. You can get 3K for a scooter anywhere on KPG, if they quote more just haggle. Lots of bikes not seeing any use right now as there's narily a tourist on the island.

Keep in mind that KPG is the Wild West of Thailand, and has little resemblance to CM's civility. Take care riding a bike in that
environment.

Huh???

Edited by AngThong

Thanks all,

I think the general concensus is that 3K is a decent price for a Click auto. I'll have a good look around and check out some of the local shops mentioned.

When renting a bike in KPG, it pays to spend some time assessing the bike's mechanical condition before you hand over the $. And in many shops, it's all about how much they are willing to rip you off when you return the bike, holding your passport hostage until you pay for repairs to scratches that seemingly materialized out of nowhere. There is little value and a lot of downside to renting a bike from the seemingly cheaper shops in KPG. And in the past it's been known for rentals to cut brake cables in the hope the lessee damages the scooter.

For the best well-kept and newest bikes, as well as some atypical and rare honesty, try Om's at Haad Rin here. The Nepalese guys both there and at the bigger dirt bike rental across the road are fairly much the only honest rentals left on that side of the island. Mention you'd like a longer-term rental and he'll do his best to give you a good deal. Avoid all other rental shops in Haad Rin (and some in Thongsala), as many are borderline criminals. If you're landing in Thongsala, try Pim's travel agency at this location, run by a really lovely and honest lady (with family in CM).

Keep in mind that KPG is the Wild West of Thailand, and has little resemblance to CM's civility. Take care riding a bike in that environment.

take photos before you drive away and ask the owner to point to the damage that is already on the bike that way they cannot try it on. If the dont want to do this then dont rent as they obvioulsy dont want to help you assess the damage before hand.

I like the wild west as this opens business vacum for proper people that run things honestly.

In all fairness though if someone rents you vehicle and smashes it to bits then be prepared to buy a new bike and even for the persons who you might have smashed. That is not bad business that is just business. If i rent a bike or a car out i want it back in the same condition. Small body damage is not a problem but i would not charge someone for something that they had not done infact i would encourage the people to take photos before hand.

I dont rip people off but i dont want to be ripped off either.

Sometimes in the rental business the owners and company onwers have bikes get stolen. Damaged then the owner runs away all the time. so it is a constant battle.

Also i reckon that all vehicles should start with a full tank of gas. it makes it so much easier when you take them back. there is no need to measure the needle. it is just full or not full or fine.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've lived in Thailand for 11 years. When renting a motorbike take several photos of the bike before you take it if you see any damage at all like scratches and be sure the Thai renter sees you doing it and discuss any damage you see with them before you leave on the bike. Burning tourists for damage is big business here especially with jet skies.

They will try to take your passport. Insist on giving them a photo copy instead. Technically only immigration has the power to take your passport. The renter might be honest but what if he loses it by accident?

• Like 1

When renting a motorbike take several photos of the bike before you take it if you see any damage at all like scratches and be sure the Thai renter sees you doing it and discuss any damage you see with them before you leave on the bike. Burning tourists for damage is big business here especially with jet skies.

The jet ski scammers sometimes use water-soluble paint to hide existing scratches. Taking photos would not help in this case.

Hire from Kate in Thongsala, she will hire with passport photocopy and 3k baht deposit. 3k a month when I hired a semi auto honda from her last time (now I'm hiring an old put put 2 stroke from a local) ...

Yep, Kate is who I use, when I go over to KP... Just near the pier, up from 7-11 cross to right hand side... maybe 50 meters... up...(the divided road) ....

• Like 1

I've lived in Thailand for 11 years. When renting a motorbike take several photos of the bike before you take it if you see any damage at all like scratches and be sure the Thai renter sees you doing it and discuss any damage you see with them before you leave on the bike. Burning tourists for damage is big business here especially with jet skies.

They will try to take your passport. Insist on giving them a photo copy instead. Technically only immigration has the power to take your passport. The renter might be honest but what if he loses it by accident?

yes sometime from the renters point of view a real passport is the only deposit they can accept from a complete stranger.

i know someone that did a runner because he damaged the bike but did not leave his passport as a deposit. it is easy to do. speciallyu for monthlu rentals.

if you smash the bike to peices you could extend for 1 more month. Dump it and leave. giving you a 1 month head start before they even know it is missing.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Just an update on this. Kate's is indeed very good but the directions on this thread are confusing. Having got off the boat you walk along the pier and get to a crossroads. Don't turn left or right, just keep going straight and Kate's is there on the right hand side of the road. 3000 baht a month for an older scooter or 4000 for a new one. They wanted passport as deposit or 5000 baht (negotiable). No problem getting deposit back. Bigger bikes also available.

• Like 1

Just an update on this. Kate's is indeed very good but the directions on this thread are confusing. Having got off the boat you walk along the pier and get to a crossroads. Don't turn left or right, just keep going straight and Kate's is there on the right hand side of the road. 3000 baht a month for an older scooter or 4000 for a new one. They wanted passport as deposit or 5000 baht (negotiable). No problem getting deposit back. Bigger bikes also available.

Just near the pier, up from 7-11 cross to right hand side... maybe 50 meters... up...(the divided road) ....

What was confusing about that? facepalm.gif

Just near the pier, up from 7-11 cross to right hand side... maybe 50 meters... up...(the divided road) ....

7-11 is on a crossroads so ''up from 7-11'' is ambiguous and Kate's is certainly not 50 metres up (the divided road itself is less than 50 metres).

nothing, if you know thongsala.

If you get the ferry from samui to KPG you arrive on sunrise beach I believe.

Walk up a little on the right is/was top gold and now sea breeze .

Ask for pee oi . Nice lady will never rip you off.

If bike returned in same condition .

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you get the ferry from samui to KPG you arrive on sunrise beach I believe.

Walk up a little on the right is/was top gold and now sea breeze .

Ask for pee oi . Nice lady will never rip you off.

If bike returned in same condition .

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It does. It would be good to get similar recommendations for bike rental places near the piers in Samui and Koh Tao too.

"If bike returned in same condition"

That applies any where, it's just that some shops don't take people to the cleaners with outrageous over charges.... some shops will just charge the actual cost of repair and perhaps a day's loss in rental.