If My Wife Wanted To Divorce Whilst In Uk

JJJIIIMMM

hello

my wife and i were married in thailand. we have some assets in thailand, but most of my assets are in the UK.

we are planning on going to the UK in a few months. My wife will be on a spouse visa.

Unfortunately, our marriage has been a bit rocky of late.

If we were to go to the UK, could my wife file for divorce in the UK and thus have an attempt to take half my assets that i have over there?

please advise guys......

ta for the advice guys, and obviously not coming to england, i realise, is one option, but we want to give it a go,

i am just a bit worried

if we were in the UK, could she divorce me there and gain access to half my UK house etc? if so, is there anything we can do before we go to ensure that she would not be able to lay claim to half my assets?

ta for the advice guys, and obviously not coming to england, i realise, is one option, but we want to give it a go,

i am just a bit worried

if we were in the UK, could she divorce me there and gain access to half my UK house etc? if so, is there anything we can do before we go to ensure that she would not be able to lay claim to half my assets?

If the answer is so important to you, how about contacting a UK divorce lawyer, give them a brief without the emotional content & ask them the cost for a formal written/email response.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

i am just a bit worried

If the answer is so important to you, how about contacting a UK divorce lawyer, give them a brief without the emotional content & ask them the cost for a formal written/email response.

yea, that is one option of course..... i was just hoping for a bit of free advice from the knowledgeable people of TV, before considering the lawyer route

surely this is an area people have considered when moving to the UK with their tee rak, or maybe someone has been divorced in the UK and knows all the ins and outs

would also be interested to hear if anyone knows of a way that one can move to the UK with thai wife, but put in place some sort of pre nuptial agreement that says aforementioned tee rak promises not to screw one over, as soon as the plane touches down at heathrow

i am just a bit worried

If she were to goto a police station and allege 'domestic violence' she could easily have a court order issued to exclude you from your home.

(Alleged) Victims of domestic violence don't get deported.

• Like 2

OP, get a grip, you don't take the fox to the chickens.

If you think your marriage is on the rocks already then trust your instincts.

I predict that if you take your wife to the UK, within days she will be in tow with landed Thai immigrants, and that's when your problems will really start. You will then find out the true power of Thai collective intelligence.

You'll come to regret that.

• Like 1

You are trying to stick with what you trust......the status quo.

Like most people.

However there are sound reasons here to absolutely not export your problems to a country which could complicate them and at best only delay the inevitable at quite a cost even if you don't lose money to her. For instance you break up over there........even if she doesn't try to claim against you she will need money to come back to Thailand a "start again". You. May wish to help her anyway, but I say hold the cards so you cachoose whether to deal them.

Even forgetting about the assets.....you are trying to beat a dead horse by the sound of it.

You must have some money, Jim. The costs involved in bringing your wife to the UK alone are astronomical and you allude to a relationship that's recently hit the buffers.

Give yourself a little more time to consider your future - whether you foresee divorce or continuing as a couple.

OP, get a grip, you don't take the fox to the chickens. If you think your marriage is on the rocks already then trust your instincts. I predict that if you take your wife to the UK, within days she will be in tow with landed Thai immigrants, and that's when your problems will really start. You will then find out the true power of Thai collective intelligence. You'll come to regret that.

True power of collective Thai intelligence !! Explain please ? Very interested to know what you mean with that.

if you are planning to move to the UK together, that will be a big step for her. Might be better to first work out your marital problems before adding stress of moving to another country.

some good thinking

I know it difficult for me little bit when I went Australia

everything new, nothing I know

if your lady give you her heart, she give you her trust also

she will follow you most place if you take good care of her

but if she have black heart or heart not with you, then maybe you have problem, yes

better to make sure where her heart is first before make big decision

@ the blether

Her reply says many things together with your conclusion.

To me it is not smart but DEVIOUS !!!!!

Call what you like, it's a reality that many people have come to regret.

Would you prefer that I don't warn the OP of it?

@ the bletherHer reply says many things together with your conclusion.To me it is not smart but DEVIOUS !!!!!

Call what you like, it's a reality that many people have come to regret. Would you prefer that I don't warn the OP of it?

It was more your statement of ' collective intelligence ' that i commented on.

Cha laat maj bo ri sut ! The thais would call it and that has nothing to do with intelligence, more with deviousness and shrude.

OP, you are the same member that opened a thread a few weeks ago that your wife wanted to force a sale of the company that owns your house.

Don't you think it's time to see things in it's perspective and cover yourself. From what I read form your posts in this and your other thread, together with my life experience in Thailand, it is clear that the situation only will get worse.

Jim you will take her regardless , you and us know this. You will also lose your assets eventually

so better start another thread on how to live on food stamps, that way your prepared.

Edited by zorro1
  • Like 1

If you divorce in the UK what maintenance she may or may not get will be decided by the court.

Ditto any division of assets.

Any pre nuptial agreement the two of you have signed will be considered by the court, but will not be legally binding.

This document is the situation in England and Wales, this one will show you the differences if you divorce in Scotland and this one for Northern Ireland.

Note that those documents come from commercial organisations and so represent their view of the law. They are provided for information purposes and not as a recommendation of any particular company.

On a side issue, the only way to legally divorce in the UK is through the courts. If you were to divorce only at the Thai embassy it would be recognised under Thai law, but not under UK law. So in the eyes of UK law you would still be married.

But I agree with Mario. Don't consider moving with her to the UK until and unless you have sorted you matrimonial difficulties out!

there must be proof (of domestic violence).

Her word will be taken initially.

Only inasmuch as a police investigation will be started.

To gain any advantage, whether in a divorce or for immigration purposes, proof, including medical evidence, will be required.

• Like 1

Met a guy once who got married in Thailand and brought his wife to the UK. She got a UK passport eventually, but after many years the marriage failed. They discussed it many times, and eventually decided to get divorced in Thailand, which is what happened. He stayed living here. Out of the blue, many months later she called him --- she was back in the UK and living in his house --- she wanted to get back together --- after he explained patiently that they were divorced --- she suddenly said --- Yes but we are not divorced in the UK. I never met a man who was more scared in my life.

The OP needs to be very careful.

• Like 1

thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

i think i have some serious thinking to do as the wife and i have been arguing all week over some petty things, and if there is a chance that she can take half of everything i own, and force me to sell the house etc, then i am starting to think i would be daft to risk it

i am not sure why 7x7 stated that a pre nuptial would not be legally binding.... surely that is the point of a pre nup, that it is legally binding..... why do you think it wouldnt be binding 7x7?

we would be living in a large city in UK, so my wife would make some thai friends quickly, so i think the collective knowledge mentioned earlier would soon be shared with her, and she would be aware of her rights to half my everything..... would probably lay claim to one of my kidneys too if she thought she could find use for it thumbsup.gif

• Like 2