Big Plane In Chiang Mai

briley

Did anyone else see the big bird that took off from Chiang Mai airport at about 9.30 this morning?

Turned out to be an AN 124 cargo plane, one of the biggest in the world and on take off made the 747 look quite small. Took it's time to take off, suspect the length of the runway is towards the limit.

For those interested a link to the plane and it's owner is here:

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=40

Now I wonder, what was it bringing into, or taking out of, Chiang Mai that was so big?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else see the big bird that took off from Chiang Mai airport at about 9.30 this morning?

Turned out to be an AN 124 cargo plane, one of the biggest in the world and on take off made the 747 look quite small. Took it's time to take off, suspect the length of the runway is towards the limit.

For those interested a link to the plane and it's owner is here:

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=40

Now I wonder, what was it bringing into, or taking out of, Chiang Mai that was so big?

Maybe Tahksin's head couldn't fit in a 737 anymore? :o

cv

I kinda doubt that plne would land here. I mean, if a 747 can't land here...? More likely to be one of the oversize cargo planes used to 'deliver mail' here once or twice a week. (Remember Thaksin's sister, and her birthday party, which was transported to CM on one of them?)

In any case, if true, it would definately be on the Thai news tonight, and the papers tomorrow...

Edited by Ajarn

I kinda doubt that plne would land here. I mean, if a 747 can't land here...? More likely to be one of the oversize cargo planes used to 'deliver mail' here once or twice a week. (Remember Thaksin's sister, and her birthday party, which was transported to CM on one of them?)

In any case, if true, it would definately be on the Thai news tonight, and the papers tomorrow...

As far as 747's go there are plenty of movements of 747's both in and out of Chiangmai. I flew on one the other week to Bangkok, and the flight then went onto Phuket. Orient also fly a 747-200 out of Chiangmai.

As far as 747's go there are plenty of movements of 747's both in and out of Chiangmai. I flew on one the other week to Bangkok, and the flight then went onto Phuket. Orient also fly a 747-200 out of Chiangmai.

Just shows you how little I know! :o

those big nose loading Antonovs are just <deleted> huge! seeing and hearing them take off is just a sight to behold.They are about as expensive to hire as you can get.....so whatever it was picking up or dropping off, would have been very, very expensive.

During the winter tourist season it is not unusual for Thai Airways (domestic) to borrow a 747 from Thai Airways (International) for a few hours to make a run up to Chiang Mai. The result is long waits for luggage and even worse, Don Muang domestic terminal runs out of taxis so you are stuck outside in the heat waiting for the distant cousin of some Air Force general to show up with his taxi.

those big nose loading Antonovs are just <deleted> huge! seeing and hearing them take off is just a sight to behold.They are about as expensive to hire as you can get.....so whatever it was picking up or dropping off, would have been very, very expensive.

Perhaps the thaksin family personal effects??? :o

Edited by JXXXL

> Now I wonder, what was it bringing into, or taking out of,

> Chiang Mai that was so big?

Why, full of chickens of course. They're paying for Russion fighter jets with chickens, remember? :o

Anyway, runway length required is 2800 meters, CNX runway is a little over 3 km in length. So at least it's POSSIBLE. :D Don't feel too bad about not having a camera, visibility was crap anyway for a really good picture.

Cheers,

Chanchao

7 years ago LTA used to fly 747's full of German tourists to CM twice a week until Lufthansa bought them out and routed all traffic through Bangkok.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know that?

So if it landed here before did you see them unloading all this equipment?

Not that I really care...but please qualify how you know this

I'd like to know too, or was it a first post attention grabber? :o

Rtwo...?Ready to whip out? well he certainly pulled pauly and Majeo's pissers :D