Why Some Thais Drive At Night With Their Lights Off

Surprisingly, you are all wrong.

The reason for turning off the lights at night is the bugs. They don't wear helmets or eye guards, so the bugs are many as they are attracted to the light. Turn off the light and less bugs.

Saving fuel ! cheesy.gif Most bikes don't have alternators, so the battery isn't being charged while the bike is running. Turning off the light saves no fuel.

Be careful out there.

Actually your explanation would make sense, logical.

Totally not Asian (our style of logic).

I have also been told, like a few others here, that it is because they think it saves petrol (not true, obviously).

In the past many motorcycles had alternators and that would have meant a higher fuel expense with the lights on.

Now it is probably all a combination of old ideas, not wanting to spend 20 baht on new bulbs and a way to hide driving on the wrong side of the road

or the traffic.

And of course, putting safety at the bottom of any list :(

The other problem is when people have the basket at the front of the bike and it is packed with so much crap in it. Even when the light is on you can not see because of the reversed glare from whats in the basket and it blocks the front light from anyone seeing them.

• Like 1

I use my lights in the day, especially on roads where the cars are travelling at high velocity but lanes are not properly separated and get lots of the....( hey, can I use a slang, racist term here or only whites can be called slang, racist terms? ? ) flashing at me angrily-I know they see me.

Related topic- I've been told it's illegal to drive with headlights on during the day in Thailand. True, or fear mongering urban legend?

I normally always keep my lights on, just so oncoming traffic can see my car better. But I've been afraid to leave them on here in Thailand.

First time I ever went to Mumbai I asked the taxi driver taking me from the airport to Juhu beach why he did not turn on his headlights, only flashed them occasionally approaching sharp turns, etc. His reply; "there are more cars than policemen". Made perfect sense to me.

First time I ever went to Mumbai I asked the taxi driver taking me from the airport to Juhu beach why he did not turn on his headlights, only flashed them occasionally approaching sharp turns, etc. His reply; "there are more cars than policemen". Made perfect sense to me.

I don't get the logic. He is relying on other cars to light up the road for him, while not risking to get a fine because of the low number of policement?

Why do some farangs drive at night with their lights off? I would imagine for the same reaso.

While I wonder if you're serious, I still have to ask how you differentiate between Thais and falang who're driving without lights.

Do you drive with night goggles?

Please validate your post.

edit: last question.

Edited by watcharacters

Related topic- I've been told it's illegal to drive with headlights on during the day in Thailand. True, or fear mongering urban legend?

I normally always keep my lights on, just so oncoming traffic can see my car better. But I've been afraid to leave them on here in Thailand.

There was a member on here that claimed he got a ticket for driving his motorbike with his headlight on during the day. I find it hard to believe though because most motorcycles don't have the option to turn the light off, but TIT and anything is possible.

When on a bike I drive with my brights on during the day, or with my finger on the "passing" trigger and flash anything and everything that looks like it might be about to violate my "right-of-way", which of course is a concept they don't really have here. I have so often had bikes or cars pop out in front of my or U-turn in front of me as if I wasn't there, that I am flashing my brights constantly and honking very often too. Whatever it takes to stay alive here. 12 years and no major accidents so far, touch wood. Just learn what Thai's do and keep a hyper-vigilance. This will seem silly, but I pretend I am a huge magnet and everything on the road is attracted to me. It actually seems that way, and there is no doubt a strange psychological phenomenon that makes drivers of cars and truck move just a bit into your lane when you approach from the rear. This happens to me almost without exception when passing cars and trucks when here are two lanes going in the same direction.

To avoid the ghosts from spotting them, I think. blink.png

Many years ago when I lived in Malaysia on nights of the hungry ghost this was common.

Theory being the ghosts can hitch a ride on the light beam. No light = no ghost.

Bikes would indicate one way then turn the other to confuse the ghosts.

Most scary was when bikes would overtake cars then cut in close to knock any ghosts riding on the tail light off.

Charging along down the South China Sea at 30 knots plus the plot calculated that we would miss a vessel crossing our bows from port to starboard by just over a mile. No slackening of speed or change of course then. However the vessel after passing out of any danger suddenly reversed course to recross our path. This set us up for a collision but we missed by a few feet. I was in charge of the watch on deck and was amazed to see a junk on its beams ends flash by down the port side. I immediately ordered the lifeboat to be lowered to deck level and we turned the davits outboard and commenced lowering away while the ship maneuvered to close the junk. Our bow wave had caused the junk to broach and it lay on its side. Nobody had been hurt and the Chinese crew managed to right the junk while we stood by it. The C.O. explained the dangerous behaviour as a pretty normal event as the junk skipper wanted us to cut off any evil spirits that might be pursuing his vessel.

What was it that you were doing 30 knots in?

Heard that in Phillipines they reckon it saves the battery.w00t.gif

In general it's just a mind set, I can see you so why can't you see me sort of thing. Forget the fact that you are in a white car and I'm in a black pick-up, I can see you so-------?

Or ref the motorbike, most of the lights don't work anyway but It's not due for a check for 8 months so I will replace the bulb then.

Thats what I hear as well- save batt smile.png

Plus a healthy measure of "Who cares?"

Scary...

Edited by Lancelot

Nearly cleaned up some dumbass a few days ago riding at me in my lane with a red headlight.............................

Consider yourself lucky. I you had, the going rate in BKK rate is anywhere between 100 to 500 K to keep you out of Klomg Prem.

I know , inflation sucks .

Nearly cleaned up some dumbass a few days ago riding at me in my lane with a red headlight.............................

Consider yourself lucky. I you had, the going rate in BKK rate is anywhere between 100 to 500 K to keep you out of Klomg Prem.

remote unlit road and no others vehicles around, do you really think I would have stopped?

remote unlit road and no others vehicles around, do you really think I would have stopped?

You are a bad farang

You are a bad farang

Definitely, far worse than the stupid XXXX coming at me on my side off the road with a red headlight.

Edited by metisdead
Disguised profanity is still a violation of this rule: 3) Not to post in a manner that is vulgar, obscene or profane.
  • Like 1

Surprisingly, you are all wrong.

The reason for turning off the lights at night is the bugs. They don't wear helmets or eye guards, so the bugs are many as they are attracted to the light. Turn off the light and less bugs.

Saving fuel ! cheesy.gif Most bikes don't have alternators, so the battery isn't being charged while the bike is running. Turning off the light saves no fuel.

Be careful out there.

I had a hard time making any sense out of this post.

You putting us on?

Perfectly clear as far as I'm concerned.