Thaksin Stands To Lose All Credibility

george

iTV CONTROVERSY: ‘PM stands to lose all credibility’

If the state bows to the television station belonging to the prime minister’s corporate empire and allows iTV to go ahead with its planned increase in entertainment programming, it would represent one of the biggest setbacks in the nation’s democratic development, media experts warned.

The Thaksin Shinawatra government has vowed to fight iTV’s programme rescheduling, but participants at yesterday’s Chulalongkorn University seminar were unsure about how sincere the efforts were to protect state interests as well as the founding principles of the onceindependent TV station.

“There is absolutely no way iTV could add more entertainment content, as that would be a serious breach of its concession,” said Nualnoi Trirat, an economics lecturer.

On Tuesday, iTV, buoyed by an arbitration panel ruling in its favour on a controversial concession row with the state, made public its broadcast adjustments due to start on April 1, despite the government’s declared intention to appeal to the Administrative Court.

Mass communications lecturer Pirongrong Ramasoota Rananand warned that Prime Minister Thaksin would “discredit” himself if iTV finally gets its way.

“The people will be watching,” she said.

“Now we have a situation where media empires are getting richer but the people are getting increasingly deprived [of truthful information].

“The whole thing is not just about the state being conned. It’s the people who are also being conned, especially if more entertainment is allowed to be aired by the TV station.

“The prime minister must do the right thing in this case or he will disgrace himself and lose all credibility.”

Pitaya Wongkul, deputy chairman of the Campaign for Media Reform Committee, said if iTV went ahead with its revised programming, it would in effect be challenging state authority.

“The dispute is far from over because the arbitration ruling will have to be scrutinised by the Administrative Court,” he said. “What power does iTV management have to boost entertainment content now? Or does iTV think that since it’s owned by the prime minister, it has the same power as him?”

The arbitrators supported iTV’s claim that the state had failed to protect its commercial rights as required by its concession. They called for the government to reduce iTV’s concession payments by a total of Bt17 billion and allow the station to increase its entertainment shows to 50 per cent, from 30 per cent, of total programme airtime.

Legal experts have argued that the arbitration award could be illegal as it interfered with the core concepts of the concession, including fee structure and the requirement that iTV must show 70 per cent news and educational programmes.

The participants at yesterday’s seminar agreed that an eventual iTV victory would be a big blow to the country’s democracy.

“It’s interesting what the premier will do next,” Pitaya said. “Everyone knows the PM’s Office is controlled by him and is waiting for his signal.”

--The Nation 2004-02-19

Stands to lose is future indicative. I think the man has already lost total credibility.

I couldn't agree more.

Pass the Aspirin...Chiang Mai Thai and I agreed on something :D

Dear Leader has brought us together.

He's proving himself to be a bit dull I think. Is it up dear leader or down :o

Stands to lose is future indicative. I think the man has already lost total credibility.

I couldn't agree more.

Pass the Aspirin...Chiang Mai Thai and I agreed on something :D

Dear Leader has brought us together.

He's proving himself to be a bit dull I think. Is it up dear leader or down :o

UP HIM WITH A PINEAPPLE....couldn't run a bath :D

Why not a curfew to prevent politicians from losing their credibility ?

thaksin did impose a 7 day gag order on himself during his "bird flu mistake" and wouldn't talk to the press for a week. too bad there wasn't a one year extension, as his voice and actions still make me gag.