Bangkok Becoming A Pricier Place For Expats

webfact

Hot and humid environmental conditions, typical to Thailand, stress the lactating dairy cow and reduce intake of the nutrients necessary to support milk yield and body maintenance. Dairy cows are most productive at temperatures between 41 and 77° F. That's why most if not all dairy products are imported in Thailand.

if there was a ban for posting stupid comments that would get a lenghty one, to think that thailand imports milk is just ridiculaous

Not that it changes the conclusion that Bangkok is becoming a pricier place for expats, but there are two other considerations that I would like to see similar research on. First, to what extent infrastructure, government services, and private business have kept pace and contributed to an overall increased quality of life for the same expats whose data / opinion was collected as basis for the original study. More of a "cost / benefit" perspective. Second, and this one certainly relies on a different data set and would require a different discussion thread, would be to extend either study (original one or the cost / benefit one) to include Thai people.

On my first point, I think that the overall pace is at least reasonably close to equal. On the second point, I am amazed at how adaptive the Thai people (especially the non-white collar worker supported families) have been to cost of living increases.

CHEERS!

D

Our neighbours have just built a very nice,new and impressive "Byre" about half a klm from here and they have installed a load of new dairy cows.

Local milk pickups run quite regulary around our area (lots of lush green fields)but as mentioned earlier Thais don't go for dairy products in a big way but will for interest sake will ask farmer Somchi how much he get for his "coo juice".

In UK North London I have been paying a pound for 4 pints of milk in our local Morris/Lidl/Aldi for at least the last 3 years......Moooooo

im not gonna sit here and fire off items but this one item will prove my point

4pints milk uk 1.29 so about 65 baht, thailand 78- 82 baht, ,how can thailand charge more when they pay around a salary of 200 compared to uk paying aroound 800-1000 gbp

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/FindProducts.aspx?Query=milk

rest my case

How much for a mango in the UK?

• Like 1

No question, the prices in Bangkok / Thailand rise, measured in Thai Baht.
Look at condo, gasoline, rent, food, insurance prices. + 10-25% in the last 5 years.

But if you compare that with your domestic currency:
1 Pound 66 Baht (today 48), 1 Dollar 36 Baht (today 30), 1 Euro 53 Baht (today 40) (from 5 Year exchange hights)
then many goods raised in price over 50%.

Edited by tomacht8

4pints milk uk 1.29 so about 65 baht, thailand 78- 82 baht, ,how can thailand charge more when they pay around a salary of 200 compared to uk paying aroound 800-1000 gbp

rest my case

probably because cows milk isn't drunk in Thailand, I don't see fields full of cows in Thailand but plenty in the uk. Rubbish comparison. How about a 3 bed house in a London suburb v a 3 bed house in a Bangkok suburb. By the time you take the cost of the uk mortgage a pint of milk will be the least of your worries.

No1 Of course cows milk is drunk in Thailand the ships are full if the stuff

No2 Compare the wages in London compared to Bangkok you will get a lot more

No3 Mooo

• 5 weeks later...

rest my case

How much for a mango in the UK?

last time I got 2 for a Pound...

rest my case

Paid my repayment mortag

probably because cows milk isn't drunk in Thailand, I don't see fields full of cows in Thailand but plenty in the uk. Rubbish comparison. How about a 3 bed house in a London suburb v a 3 bed house in a Bangkok suburb. By the time you take the cost of the uk mortgage a pint of milk will be the least of your worries.

Payed off my London Mortagge years ago....House let out ...

Also 2 Houses in Samut P fully paid off as is land and houses in CM......but still like milk in rosy