American Businessman Wanted In The U S For Fraud Arrested In Hua Hin District

webfact

US businessman wanted for fraud arrested in Thailand
By Digital Media

PRACHUAP KHIRI KAN, June 8 -- An American businessman wanted in the United States for fraud was arrested in the resort district of Hua Hin in Prachuap Khiri Kan.

Pol Maj Gen Roy Inkapairoj, commander of Tourist Police Division led tourist police to arrest Mr Paul David Cardwell, 47, who was wanted in the US for fraud and money laundering, at a fitness gym in Hua Hin municipality.

He had evaded arrest and was living with his Thai girlfriend in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Mr Cardwell, a former hospital chief executive officer, confessed to police that he committed the crimes in the US with damages of around Bt49.5 million.

He was indicted on criminal charges, including money laundering and defrauding Powell Valley Healthcare in Wyoming, the hospital where he served as CEO.

After posting bond, he was released and jumped bail, traveling to Thailand using the passport of someone who resembled him.

He had travel in and out of Thailand many times over the past seven years.

Police said he was initially charged with illegal entry and they would coordinate with the US embassy to extradite him back to the US. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-06-08

Looks like the Thai media info on this guy, for once, actually bears some resemblance to the alleged truth.

Here's the U.S. FBI's Bulletin on this guy: http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/wcc/paul-david-cardwell/view

It seems he only skipped to Thailand sometime around the fall of last year.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

There you are. Sooner or later they will get you. The best policy in life is to be straight. There are laws so dont break them. Doing time in prison is not much fun.

I thought that you had to pay bribes to government officials to get PR here.

Anyway, I wonder if the US has some serious federal law about their citizens using another's passport to cross their borders (regardless of skipping bail).

He's going to be living in a place very. very different to the coast of Thailand for a long long time me think. :D

Looks like again that not only the cream of farlangs comes to Thailand

You can go to any country in the world and there will be somebody on the run from justice from another country there, Thailand is no different

• Like 1

If people really want to disappear Thailand is not the place. Maybe 25 years ago, but the authorities now have it on the map as one of the first places they will look. If I was on the lam I'd think about places like Brazil, Chile or Argentina.

• Like 1

It seems Hua Hin has become the hiding place of quite a few people who are wanted overseas of late...don't know why as it is very hard to remain inconspicuous if you decide to pitch your tent here for too long as it may appear a sleepy coastal town but the place has plenty of eyes and ears make no mistake!

Pol Maj Gen Roy Inkapairoj, commander of Tourist Police Division led tourist police to arrest Mr Paul David Cardwell, 47, who was wanted in the US for fraud and money laundering, at a fitness gym in Hua Hin municipality.

fitness gym? Posted Image

Theres a reason you won't hear thais referring to a gym as a gym and using the word fitness instead. Regardless, Gyms and fitness are good places for a workout. :D

Looks like again that not only the cream of farlangs comes to Thailand

You can go to any country in the world and there will be somebody on the run from justice from another country there, Thailand is no different

Yes true no arguments there

The fellow was a white collar criminal and most likely had good manners and could live under the radar without arousing suspicion. Don't forget that he assumed the identity of someone else in order to enter Thailand. This is not someone that would have attracted attention and most likely would have made a nice neighbour in terms of being quiet etc. Sure, it's not nice to have criminals around, but I'd rather deal with this type then some psychotic killer that chopped up his ex, shoved it in a suitcase and then dumped it.

• Like 2

Hi,, did anybody knows what happen with arani shop in hua hin? Did she(thai women name is Ann and her lover name is oie) kill him(swedish man name is Daniel) and take all his money ? Last time i saw him , he was hiten and biten of 6 worker in his shop,,then she take all the shop and company and send him to police, then hey did kild one of his dog too! I not see him anymore in hua hin,, i feel sory for him,, he make that company up, then she tray to cheating him,,,, and ,,,,,etc,,,,,,,,!:wub::wacko:

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There you are. Sooner or later they will get you. The best policy in life is to be straight. There are laws so dont break them. Doing time in prison is not much fun.

I thought that you had to pay bribes to government officials to get PR here.

Anyway, I wonder if the US has some serious federal law about their citizens using another's passport to cross their borders (regardless of skipping bail).

He's going to be living in a place very. very different to the coast of Thailand for a long long time me think. biggrin.png

Where does it say he had a PR? I have had a PR for 16 years and did not pay any bribes. I followed all the requirements and followed the instructions. No problem.

fitness gym? thumbsup.gif

yes, he used to go to the @Letic fitness gym in Hua Hin

Do you think I could get the remaining time on his membership for a discount ;~) ? Wow, I have been here (in Hua Hin) 5 years and don't recall meeting him but I guess I can't meet everyone in town. Makes you wonder if his now "ex-girlfriend" has some money to spend.

Do you think I could get the remaining time on his membership for a discount ;~) ? Wow, I have been here (in Hua Hin) 5 years and don't recall meeting him but I guess I can't meet everyone in town. Makes you wonder if his now "ex-girlfriend" has some money to spend.

Are you an ambulance chaser?

• Like 1

Looks like the Thai media info on this guy, for once, actually bears some resemblance to the alleged truth.

Interesting concept, the "alleged truth."

You've got to love it. An American who confessed to a crime, was indicted, jumped bail, made a mockery of the US legal system and supposed cutting-edge immigrations technology , had to be arrested by the Thai Police etc. etc. ... BUT let's turn that around and do a little Thai media bashing. I wonder if there is any screw-up that takes place in the world that doesn't provide an opportunity for at least a little left-handed Thai bashing.

You seem to have accidentally or perhaps intentionally misinterpretted my original comment about the "alleged truth."

What I was referring to, was the various criminal allegations lodged against the guy in the U.S. -- allegations that had been filed but not yet proven in any court. Because the guy took a runner before he could face trial.

Thus, the "alleged truth" of the long list of things the FBI bulletin accused him of. That's because in the U.S., at least still, criminals are still presumed innocent until proven guilty at trial.

It had nothing to do, in this instance, with the usually factually atrocious reporting by the local Thai media. wink.png

It seems Hua Hin has become the hiding place of quite a few people who are wanted overseas of late...don't know why as it is very hard to remain inconspicuous if you decide to pitch your tent here for too long as it may appear a sleepy coastal town but the place has plenty of eyes and ears make no mistake!

Yes you may be correct, they should check everybody in HH. i have information which puts an Australian who cleaned up big time in Australia and India with a pyramid scheme, as living in Hua Hin.

they can find a man who is wanted from the U.S.A , low profile and get him extradited back .But can they find the ex PM ? no , they dont know where he is .

Yes, but the American is a real criminal whereas the ex PM was convicted on a trumped up charge instigated by the coup led government, and all but the 'brainwashed' know it. coffee1.gif

Are you an ambulance chaser?

No, but sometimes I do follow beer trucks. burp.gif