Public Transport To Promenada Mall?

NancyL

How dies the government (or whoever) pay for that?

It's more than likely state government and City Council.

At peak hours, it gets commuters from the car parks into the city, and during the day, moves the tourists and shoppers around.

The buses all run on either Natural gas or LPG.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nancy L,

As I suggested very early when you first asked about transport to and from Promenada: "Share a taxi." And that is what you actually ended up doing. And it is easy to arrange for a cab in advance or to call in an emergency. Just put the telephone number in your phone!

In the event, given the rushed opening of a major shopping center anywhere, management happening not to quite get every "t" crossed or "i" dotted --- and even publishing a transportation schedule (!) --- hardly seems to be a major disaster and certainly nothing to make a public (TV Chiang Mai) row about.

If you choose, for various reasons either practical or altruistic not to drive a car or a motorcycle, then you might indeed miss out on some places or events or encounter some difficulties getting where you want to go. If you live in town, then going to Pomenada is going to cost some time and effort --- and in your case, some excess vehicular pollution unless you walk or bike. That aside, it does seem that Promenada management is making some effort (nominal as it apparently might be) to help people like you as well as help their own business.

I wonder why you bother complaining at all except nicely to the mall management after the incident. Anyway, it certainly seems from your own most recent report that Promenada management did their best to smooth things out on the evening. I am astonished you even found someone at that hour to help so much!

Anyway, why the stress of dwelling on this incident at all? Life is too short!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind; it's just 4.6 kms from downtown. (Nawarat Bridge), making it a fairly easy bicycle ride. No need to be on major highways either, as you can take a shortcut past Sanpakhoi Market (Kong Sai Rd), cross the railway tracks, then Soi Ton Kham, through the Big C tunnel to easily cross highway 11 and then past Big C into Promenada.

• 1 month later...

I do not think that it is safe to go there again. When I was there the car parking was an awful mess with lots of guys blowing whistles at me and waving their arms around to make me feel more stressed. I have been reading a lot in the press recently about how America feels about whistleblowers and feel that this place is at a really high risk of a drone strike. I do not want to be there when that happens.

• Like 1

After having visited Promenada a couple of times, including the new wing, I can't imagine anybody stressing about getting there. Unless of course they just have to go to the same shops as every other mall but with a different ceiling.

After having visited Promenada a couple of times, including the new wing, I can't imagine anybody stressing about getting there. Unless of course they just have to go to the same shops as every other mall but with a different ceiling.

There is an Iteam Phad ('stir-fried' icecream) booth.

And the best Rim Ping, in the world.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Same in Perth, W.A. (Western Australia). The city runs a continuous free bus service, one service is East-West and the other North-South.

Tourist or commuter, it's free, keeps the city uncluttered with traffic and gets you to most places of interest and back to where you parked the car.

Buses all run on LPG, with a push-button service linked to satellite, which tells you when the next bus is coming in, usually 2 or 3 minutes..

Penang has a free service that circles Georgetown. Once every half hour if memory serves me.

Well I am not that familiar with all the lines but I am with the Tha Phae Gate Changklang one.

Just where are the people going to park their cars to get on it. Probably the same with the other three lines.

Also they will be run on the streets. Not a sky train or a subway. It is estimated that they will be completed and running in 5 years. By then there will be so much more traffic that they will just be another part of the problem. They will stop every 500 meters. So with them stopping and blocking traffic and songhtells along with tuk tuks stopping they should be able to create a grid lock no problem.

Well I am not that familiar with all the lines but I am with the Tha Phae Gate Changklang one.

Just where are the people going to park their cars to get on it.

There are not a lot of car parks on central city stations on other urban transport systems like the Underground, BTS, Paris Metro, etc.

It is designed to *discourage* people, who don't need to, from sitting in a car on their own and driving into the centre every day, contributing to the traffic problems. In other words, you have your car parks out of town where you have room for them.

And thus you remove traffic from the roads, along with the other environmental benefits.

As for how they intermesh with traffic, that we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by Chicog