Wet And Windy

stevehaigh

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Event the tuk-tuk business is cleaned. NKM should be happy (although he would claim that thug-thug's are getting into boating business).

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=437903372972557&set=a.205660402863523.45259.203769013052662&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

998604_437903372972557_2070300620_n.jpg

If they keep buiding here, without addressing storm water run off, in the future, the only way to get around Phuket will be in one of these. :) :)

http://www.google.co.th/imgres?imgurl=http://www.milweb.net/features/mv/dukw.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.milweb.net/features/dukw.php&h=427&w=640&sz=32&tbnid=MtzBIpKTCrhq1M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=135&zoom=1&usg=__wy4IOR-EQm-4peaclmSPVtogd-s=&docid=gnTeb9iz5SRgjM&sa=X&ei=xpC1UeOtAsbprAe154HIAg&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ&dur=1261

Still chucking it down here in Kata. Must be desperate in Patong ...

Well, rain here in Kata, but nothing extreme. Yesterday and today no flooding in the street, which happens often during heavy rain showers.

Really heavy in Chalong also, though the worst of the rain forecast for tonight/tomorrow morning, coupled with increasing wind speeds. Sincerely hope we're not going to get any more boat sinking/rescue stories in the press the next few days. I can imagine though that there will be some people holidaying on the islands who will risk the weather in order to make flights etc.

In Surin Beach currently.....Goto to head to Kathu, was planning on go via Patong, are roads OK .....?

Should be OK right now. The road out of Patong up to Wat Patong does not usually flood.

OK will give it a shot !.....

(How's the rest of Patong, any flooded areas still.....?)

I am really worried about Mt Mayhem (Patong Hill Rd) collapsing; would not want to be on it when it does...Anyway, I can report that there were no major flooding problems in the parts of Phuket Town I drove through today.

Yes, there's been a bit of rain and a few gusts, but now was meant to be the worst time during this weather system. It is not even close to Sunday when it rained all day.

I agree! My rain gauge overflowed by Monday in Rawai at 13 CM. Not much rain but a LOT of wind since. Now it's pretty calm. Hopefully it will stay this way through tomorrow. I need to go to Phuket Immigration in the next couple of days.

Edited by Jimi007

My question is - is the monsoon always like this in Phuket??

I recently moved form Bangkok. Two last rainy seasons there were most of the time...nice and sunny. A rain or two a day and that's it. But what I see in Phuket for the last few days is depressing.

cheers!

I recently moved form Bangkok. Two last rainy seasons there were most of the time...nice and sunny. A rain or two a day and that's it. But what I see in Phuket for the last few days is depressing.

cheers!

No, the monsoon is normally not like this, and yes, it is depressing.

cheers!

Yes, very depressing. And quite unusual.

It's not usually this bad, but seems to happen every 3 years or so. The SW monsoon hits this time of year, every year. The amount of rain we get depends on when the Indian monsoon starts (it comes here after it hits India), El Nino, and other weather in the area.

The Indian monsoon was late this year and the normal NE direction of the rain is now traveling pretty much due east (toward Phuket). So the rains would fall up to the north of us in "normal" years.

As the monsoon travels north in India and if we get a low pressure system coming through the Andaman Sea, the rains will usually travel north.

But then again, nothing is definite with the weather.

• Like 1

cheers!

Yes, very depressing. And quite unusual.

Looks like this weather is well set in. I have not seen any blue in the sky for days.

In my short period of living here full time, I would say it's normally not this bad. That said, weather patterns around the planet are changing.

Not very wet and not very windy........

I agree. We went out for a nice motorbike ride to Nai Harn beach, up to the wind generator, then over to Promtep and back along Rawai beach. It was nice! Checked the surf, decent size, but no shape and no one out. Then I took the dog for another walk. I love it here this time of year!