Facebook/thai Unacceptable Images And Videos !

jasonr3255

I stumbled across one of the local ambulance foundation facebook pages yesterday. Haven't been able to sleep since. I will never understand why Thai's have to post uncensored, traumatic death in vivid detail like that. Horrific.

I stumbled across one of the local ambulance foundation facebook pages yesterday. Haven't been able to sleep since. I will never understand why Thai's have to post uncensored, traumatic death in vivid detail like that. Horrific.

To see what they miss because the other media pixilates it out.

Yes, they do love their gore. . .

One would hope it would encourage safer driving, like the pics on cigarette packs.

Much prefer my kids to see nudity or even normal sex acts than violence and carnage.

They won't be setting up FB accounts for at least another 10 years, unless they develop better parental controls by then.

Edited by Cluey
  • Like 1

Have you noticed also that Western facebook mentality is to post positive images and statements while Thai mentality seems to be to broadcast problems, sadness and negative things. blink.png

...and food.

Logged into Facebook the other day and was greeted by some kid with their face melted off that apparently some friend of a friend had decided to "share".

I used the "report" image button as even by my standards I thought the image was totally inappropriate to be shown indiscriminately....but apparently this kind of image was fine according to the facebook censors (so not really sure what's the point of having the report button).

I guess they only block images like this one, lol:

http://www.upi.com/blog/2012/11/28/Facebook-restores-elbow-photo-mistaken-for-breast/2111354112660/

I have to admit I had to look at this pic twice to realize it wasn't a massive boob. laugh.png

3 weeks ago I caught my wife’s 9-year-old nephew looking at this on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/shockingfilescollections

I warn you, this is not for the faint hearted.

I immediately told the boy’s parents and then clicked the appropriate report category on facebook.

That was 3 weeks ago, but my report has been completely ignored and the page is still there.

We have to keep in mind that children are given access to this vile and sickening material and who knows what other sorts of deprived and disgusting articles, videos and photos is available for viewing on that social networking site? Yet facebook are turning a blind eye to this sort of stuff.

My advice is; take a quick look at my link above, and if you have young children who have profiles and access to facebook, then delete their accounts a.s.a.p.

• Like 2

I've never noticed anything of a sexual nature but have seen plenty of accident scene type pics. I notice even on general media sites there doesn't seem to be any level of censorship enforced. Are other SE Asian countries the same in that regard?

3 weeks ago I caught my wife’s 9-year-old nephew looking at this on facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/shockingfilescollections

I warn you, this is not for the faint hearted.

I immediately told the boy’s parents and then clicked the appropriate report category on facebook.

That was 3 weeks ago, but my report has been completely ignored and the page is still there.

We have to keep in mind that children are given access to this vile and sickening material and who knows what other sorts of deprived and disgusting articles, videos and photos is available for viewing on that social networking site?  Yet facebook are turning a blind eye to this sort of stuff.

My advice is; take a quick look at my link above, and if you have young children who have profiles and access to facebook, then delete their accounts a.s.a.p.

Wow, that's unbelievable!

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My brother is an IT manager for a local school network in the UK - from his experience and on his advice, neither our kids or any of their cousins have ever had access to computers in their own rooms.

They use computers in the living rooms within full sight of their parents.

House rule, mum and dad have the kid's passwords - And we do check what they are up to.

Re-the images posted by Thais

I agree many of the images are disturbing, some as the OP points out are illegal in many parts of the world and absolutely should be reported.

But we have accept there exist distinct cultural differences with respect to what is an is not acceptable - accident photos are a very good example - Voyeurism to us, to Thais part of their belief set that they should actively look at such things.

Okay, so it is very fashionable to diss Facebook, but I have a question to the OP.

So you went to check your wive's and kid's facebook - page, without them knowing...and you found stuff, you didn't like?

...am I the only one to say : som nam na?

My brother is an IT manager for a local school network in the UK - from his experience and on his advice, neither our kids or any of their cousins have ever had access to computers in their own rooms.

They use computers in the living rooms within full sight of their parents.

House rule, mum and dad have the kid's passwords - And we do check what they are up to.

Re-the images posted by Thais

I agree many of the images are disturbing, some as the OP points out are illegal in many parts of the world and absolutely should be reported.

But we have accept there exist distinct cultural differences with respect to what is an is not acceptable - accident photos are a very good example - Voyeurism to us, to Thais part of their belief set that they should actively look at such things.

We did exactly that GH when the kids were growing up, no computers in their rooms, both computers in full view. At least some control (and learning for the kids) inside the home. This is going back about 10 years, and the emphasis even then was social networking but the control was for protection against Internet prowlers which was a big media issue at the time.

The subject matter may change, but the danger is still there for the inquisitive mind. Of course, with the rapid changes in technology, the internet can be accessed almost anywhere with such an array of different devices that control over the kids (without taking their phones, tablets, notebooks off them) would be almost impossible outside the home.

I'm not sure how parents would begin in todays world..................

-

Don't have to take anything off them if they weren't given them in the first place, not until they'd reached an appropriate age.

And it's not even the age as much as the education and experience to be more prepared to understand and deal with the "inappropriate" content.

And that is very much the parent's job. It takes a lot of time and energy to do that job properly, no shortcuts or substitutes, certainly not to be left to schools or their peers.

Proactively sitting and browsing with them boring as it may be, going down the rabbit hole into the dark corners and processing what you find together, helping them make sense of it, making clear what they should avoid and giving them your reasons, making clear the consequences of defying the parental units and sticking to them.

Thousands of hours it takes in the critical years leading up to when you start to give them more unsupervised access, hundreds more during the transition time over to complete freedom.

Then you can only cross your fingers and hope they'll be OK, knowing you've done your best.

Biggest mistake is failing to put in the time, thinking the screens' entertainment value can substitute for the parent. . .

-

Don't have to take anything off them if they weren't given them in the first place, not until they'd reached an appropriate age.

And it's not even the age as much as the education and experience to be more prepared to understand and deal with the "inappropriate" content.

And that is very much the parent's job. It takes a lot of time and energy to do that job properly, no shortcuts or substitutes, certainly not to be left to schools or their peers.

Proactively sitting and browsing with them boring as it may be, going down the rabbit hole into the dark corners and processing what you find together, helping them make sense of it, making clear what they should avoid and giving them your reasons, making clear the consequences of defying the parental units and sticking to them.

Thousands of hours it takes in the critical years leading up to when you start to give them more unsupervised access, hundreds more during the transition time over to complete freedom.

Then you can only cross your fingers and hope they'll be OK, knowing you've done your best.

Biggest mistake is failing to put in the time, thinking the screens' entertainment value can substitute for the parent. . .

How much truth is in that post on every aspect!

I have been as guilty as the next person regarding spending the time with the kids. But, without making excuses, my job involved travelling and I wasn't always there. My wife at the same time had her business to run, and unfortunately these are the facts of life in the world today. It really isn't a choice to quit the job to spend more time with them, otherwise they take a drop in the quality of life, and would, IMO, suffer more from this.

Anyway, no regrets from my end as to how they turned out, the younger now at university in Bkk and the older running her own business.

Perhaps just lucky, I don't know. But back to your post, agree with it 100%, in an ideal world.

Thanks but I'd like to add regarding "quality of life" - for kids this definitely does not equate to money, except perhaps regarding school fees.

Beyond that and decent standards of nutrition and shelter, they may say they want all the latest shiny gadgets, may not even realize what they really need is regular and extended time spent interacting with loving parents.

If your own preference is to keep the "high-powered career" hamster wheel spinning chasing dollars of course that's up to you, but if that requires you spending less time with your kids then face up to your selfish choice, don't pretend you're doing it for them.

I know lots of kids from very wealthy families, and generally speaking the richer the parents the more screwed up the kids.