Special Report: Bangkok Named World's Best Destination Of 2013

Lite Beer

Special report: Bangkok named world's best destination of 2013

Thailand’s capital city of Bangkok has been named the world's most popular tourist destination this year and the most visited among tourist friendly provinces in Thailand, following two surveys by MasterCard and Tripadvisor.com.

Bangkok has surpassed the world's renowned iconic locations like Paris, New York and London. It came out on top in 2013 thanks to the city's generosity, hospitality and kindness which have contributed to the global top spot.

Last year, Bangkok only ranked 3rd as the world's best tourist destination, according to the MasterCard Worldwide Global Destination Cities Index 2013 survey, but it topped the rank in the Asia-Pacific region. The award was presented to Bangkok Governor, M.R. Sukhumbhand Paripatra, on May 27th.

According to Mr. Matthew Driver, president for Southeast Asia at MasterCard Inc., the ranking is based on the number of international visitor arrivals and their spending, exclusive of airfare, in each of the 132 destination cities. Bangkok beat out London, Paris, Singapore, and New York, which came in second, third, fourth, and fifth, respectively.

When it comes to the best city in Thailand, Tripadvisor.com has ranked Bangkok the most favorable destination in the country before Chiang Mai, Krabi, Pattaya City, Patong beach, Hua Hin, Phuket's city center, Kao Lak, Karon and Boh Phud beach. Bangkok has also gained its popularity from comments and reviews on the website.

The capital city of Thailand is known for its street food, entertainment, tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, shopping malls and the hospitality of people which draw a large number of tourists from overseas each year. Several foreign films featuring locations in Bangkok have also contributed to the rising fame.

Travelers can get around the Bangkok city easily by using the BTS sky train service. Most of the train stations are located in the vicinity of shopping malls, corporate buildings, markets and hospitals. Bangkok remains an affordable destination to tourists despite the rise of urban development and stronger baht.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-10 footer_n.gif

And so, let the predictable Thai bashing begin.

Actually, even after thirty-plus years of travel and living in Thailand ... and being fully aware of it's many flaws and warts ... I still very much love Thailand, it's culture and it's people.

Don't you think that it's a bit early to be crowing about best of anything for 2013. We are barely 40% into 2013.

Where does this garbage come from? who writes it?

And if this....The capital city of Thailand is known for its street food, entertainment, tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, shopping malls and the hospitality of people which draw a large number of tourists from overseas each year. Several foreign films featuring locations in Bangkok have also contributed to the rising fame.....is this the criteria? if it is you gotta be joking (holy sh!t someone might be serious)

• Like 2

I live in the outskirts of Bangkok and love it. I prefer Bangkok to other Thai cities for all the amenities there are.

At the same time I hate going to city center, and we only visit the known tourist attractions when friends are in town. The traffic is just too appalling.

Would I personally rate Bangkok as the world's best destination? Certainly not. But this is not about what I feel or think, this is about numbers, spending etc.

Is it a legitimate measurement, maybe.

Again, I love Bangkok's outskirts... Does Klong Samwa has a football club?

Actually, even after thirty-plus years of travel and living in Thailand ... and being fully aware of it's many flaws and warts ... I still very much love Thailand, it's culture and it's people.

Don't you think that it's a bit early to be crowing about best of anything for 2013. We are barely 40% into 2013.

And if this....The capital city of Thailand is known for its street food, entertainment, tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, shopping malls and the hospitality of people which draw a large number of tourists from overseas each year. Several foreign films featuring locations in Bangkok have also contributed to the rising fame.....is this the criteria? if it is you gotta be joking (holy sh!t someone might be serious)

And, indeed, it does begin. So very predictable.

I understand that some people don't like Thailand ... so be it. But what I find rather puzzling is how vile, vehement, and emotionally charged so many on TV get when expressing their dislikes and criticisms. And what totally mystifies me are the ones who continually do this and actually still choose to live here. Seems rather masochistic to me.

What totally mystifies me are the posters who profess to know all the reasons and circumstances that cause foreigners to live in Thailand - and then blithely go on to suggest that they leave rather than criticise or express their dislikes..........................just plain arrogance.

• Like 1

the first one ranks BKK as the city with the most arrivals, question is how many stay in BKK and how many come how many times to BKK during their traveling in the region.

the second one ranks BKK as the best destination in Thailand, question is how many have been in BKK compared to other destinations, for how long and for what reasons.

• Like 1

Just a wee bit defensive are we, considering your's is the first post on the thread. Cut back on coffee as it will help lower your blood pressure.

As for the OP, the report states that Bangkok will be the most visited city in Asia for tourism. It did not state that it was the BEST city as the topic headline denotes.

• Like 1

I understand that some people don't like Thailand ... so be it. But what I find rather puzzling is how vile, vehement, and emotionally charged so many on TV get when expressing their dislikes and criticisms. And what totally mystifies me are the ones who continually do this and actually still choose to live here. Seems rather masochistic to me.

What totally mystifies me are the posters who profess to know all the reasons and circumstances that cause foreigners to live in Thailand - and then blithely go on to suggest that they leave rather than criticise or express their dislikes..........................just plain arrogance.

Nothing wrong with expressing criticism and dislikes ... hell, I love a good debate ... it's doing so over and over again with such vitriol that gets annoying.

• Like 1

Even if it wasn't the world's best.. it still pretty high up, in any case. "Best" is usually subjective. Some people are too pussified to handle it, so for people like those, it's probably not the best destination.

And let's just hope these miserable fckers with colonialist mentality (people that can't understand anyone except themselfs and want to push their dick in other countries business) will leave the country as well, otherwise.. normal people will not be welcome here anymore in couple of dozens of years.

Just a wee bit defensive are we, considering your's is the first post on the thread. Cut back on coffee as it will help lower your blood pressure.

As for the OP, the report states that Bangkok will be the most visited city in Asia for tourism. It did not state that it was the BEST city as the topic headline denotes.

Don't really see how positively expressing my love for Thailand signifies defensiveness and high blood pressure. And, FWIW, I never drink coffee.

As to my prediction of inevitable Thai bashing ... it was done half-jokingly, but I hate emoticons ... esp. that corny laughing-man ... and so I guess my poor attempt at humor failed.

Apparently you are new to Thailand. You claim 30 years of exposure yet you are obvious. I don't buy what you are selling.

Don't really see how positively expressing my love for Thailand signifies defensiveness and high blood pressure. And, FWIW, I never drink coffee.

As to my prediction of inevitable Thai bashing ... it was done half-jokingly, but I hate emoticons ... esp. that corny laughing-man ... and so I guess my poor attempt at humor failed.

And as a follow-up to my last post. Why do you have 800+ posts and you lived here for 30+ years?

Your posts have a particular smell to them.

I must agree with your statement, WHY do they continue to complain when there is always an aeroplane

I happen to like Bangkok, lived there two different times for about two years each stay. That said, it is a leap of great faith(?) to equate "best" with "most visited", which is how the "Best" was determined. Numbers do not equal best. Few would say McDonalds makes the "best" hamburgers in the world, but they do sell the most. Same logical flaw.

• Like 1

I have long given up on this salutory drive that is prevelant within theThai mentality to aggrandize these polls and surveys. I have lived all over this planet and I see nothing that special about Bangkok or Thailand to get bent out of shape over.

As for the most visited capital ,perhaps these statistics are indeed true however we all know the magnet that draws people here and it is not the street food delicious as it may be nor is it the pristine beaches or the road transport systems.

Many of us who live here by choice and not vocational incumbance or extended tourism ar fully aware of what this country has to offer and we view both sides of the equation on a rational basis.

Akin to an earlier post, I troo live outside Bangkok and only go to town in order to meet up with visitors on as few occasions as possible.

Bangkok to me is a nightmare by any definition.

It is very obvious that you disagree to this report. Where are you staying by the way?

We are still 40% into 2013 and do you think the survey will be reversed and Bangkok will be behind?

How about if it exceeds more than its rank now?

"Visited" "Visited" Most visited... not the best... Like one other fellow on here said.. if we relate "most visited" with best, then McDonalds would rank as the "Best" restaurant in the world. hmmm..

Edited by khaowong1
  • Like 2

VISA is scrambling now, preparing their own survey for the most used (therefor the best) tourist motorway based on number of passing taxis, coaches and mini-vans.

The award, a foregone conclusion, could be presented to a gas mask wearing #7 Motorway toll booth cashier employee, which is about same same as giving an award to the Guvna o' Bangkok for happening to have the airport in his jurisdiction.

According to Mr. Matthew Driver, president for Southeast Asia at MasterCard Inc., the ranking is based on the number of international visitor arrivals and their spending, exclusive of airfare, in each of the 132 destination cities.

So it's the destination where more people use their Mastercard the most.

Can someone explain to me how that makes BKK the "World's Best Destination" for anyone other than Mastercard? blink.png

Bangkok=Mc Donald ahhahaha.... Mc Donald is not a restaurant but a fast food and it is the best one because it is the most visited.

The statistic is significant: Bangkok is the most visited city in the world? So it's probably one of the best. Because of the girls, or of the street food or cheap markets, of the people smiling and massage and amazing shopping malls and the temples and many many other reasons...i would say because of the whole thing that offers.

The traffic? Are we saying that it's the MOST VISITED or not?

Apparently you are new to Thailand. You claim 30 years of exposure yet you are obvious. I don't buy what you are selling.

Well, then ... you must think I'm an out-&-out pathological lier, huh? Do you actually think that someone who says they like Thailand and Thais and says good things about them must be lying?

While you are a perfect stranger to me and I owe you no explanations, I will do so anyway.

Actually ... in spite of your astute powers of observation ... I first came to Thailand in 1981 for two months ... and then returned once yearly for 6 to 8 weeks for about another ten years ... then I came two to three times per year until 7 years ago when I bought my BKK condo and started coming about 4 or 5 times per year and staying a total of about half the year here. After selling my company two years ago and semi-retiring, I have been living in Thailand about 9 months out of the year and plan on doing that for the rest of my life.

BTW, I'm not selling anything ... I'm just "discussing" my views and experience on what's usually called a "discussion" thread ... and trying to do so with a certain amount of respect and decorum ... although that's sometimes difficult to do on TV.com.

• Like 2

And as a follow-up to my last post. Why do you have 800+ posts and you lived here for 30+ years?

Your posts have a particular smell to them.

Don't let your negative emotions cloud your rational thinking. A reasonable man would realize there could be many reasons for "only" 800 posts ... and they would't gauge a man's credibility and tenure by how many posts they've made on TV.

The simple reason for my paltry number of posts is that I only started visiting TV about five or so years ago and did not start to post until later ... and then not very often. However, since retiring I have a lot more free time and so now I amuse myself more often on TV by irritating people like you who have a bad sense of smell.

Well that's a lovely bit of nostalgia there Edtongue.png

Many of us here love Thailand too, that's why we're here but as LincsLad says, this is related to spending and seeing as BKK is so f*cking pricey these days, hardly a good or accurate gauge of the city's real popularity.

Edited by lostmebike

maybe,but hes still allowed to voice his opinion,just like you,,not yet china,or north korea amongst others,,,moving on,,,,