Special Report: Bangkok Named World's Best Destination Of 2013

Lite Beer

And so, let the predictable Thai bashing begin.

Actually, even after thirty-plus years of travel and living in Thailand ... and being fully aware of it's many flaws and warts ... I still very much love Thailand, it's culture and it's people.

Well that's a lovely bit of nostalgia there Edtongue.png

Many of us here love Thailand too, that's why we're here but as LincsLad says, this is related to spending and seeing as BKK is so f*cking pricey these days, hardly a good or accurate gauge of the city's real popularity.

Pricey alright and new condo prices through the roof! A lot of farang are choosing to live here because its still cheaper than western cities but no by much anymore and the gap is closing

Actually, even after thirty-plus years of travel and living in Thailand ... and being fully aware of it's many flaws and warts ... I still very much love Thailand, it's culture and it's people.

Well that's a lovely bit of nostalgia there Edtongue.png

Many of us here love Thailand too, that's why we're here but as LincsLad says, this is related to spending and seeing as BKK is so f*cking pricey these days, hardly a good or accurate gauge of the city's real popularity.

Pricey alright and new condo prices through the roof! A lot of farang are choosing to live here because its still cheaper than western cities but no by much anymore and the gap is closing

Know what you mean about condos. A friend paid around 10 million Baht last year for a condo and I gotta say it's not really what I was expecting for that money. Sure I have seen prices up to 50 million but for that money why not buy back home?

...so arrival numbers are an important part of the criteria...

Having tens of thousands of foreigners living here on a tourist visa
helps, each and every time they 'pop-out' for a new exemption and/or stamp to
activate next part of current visa, they become a NEW arrival...again; quite
cunning, if you want to raise the number [on paper] of newcomers.

Watch-out guys, your 15-day stay could soon be down to 10.

Don't you think that it's a bit early to be crowing about best of anything for 2013. We are barely 40% into 2013.

Where does this garbage come from? who writes it?

And if this....The capital city of Thailand is known for its street food, entertainment, tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, shopping malls and the hospitality of people which draw a large number of tourists from overseas each year. Several foreign films featuring locations in Bangkok have also contributed to the rising fame.....is this the criteria? if it is you gotta be joking (holy sh!t someone might be serious)

I don't understand what's so good about Bangkok and why it should be the best destination in Thailand. Once you've seen the temples (can be done in a day) you've got shopping, eating and the naughty nightlife left. OK, the latter is of course the biggest drawcard (no surprises there) but for families, while the shopping and food are good - the same can be said about Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya. All these cities have shopping that is just as good as Bangkok, same for food. Not to mention the fact that one can easily get around those cities and not spend 5 hours stuck in traffic, unless of course one stays in downtown and only ever has to go 2 skytrain stops to get anywhere. Bangkok is also a fairly ugly city, with row after row of boring, nondescript shop houses, a few temples interspersed between and in outlying areas you might find some nice housing estates or gated communities, but foreign visitors never go to those areas so that's irrelevant. Chiang Mai on the other hand, has beautiful mountains located just behind the city and Phuket has nice beaches nearby. Pattaya's beaches are nothing to write home about but a short drive away you have some nice beaches.
  • Like 1

Bangkok airport is the major stop off point for airlines going long distance. To break up the trip many tourists decide to have a couple of days in Bangkok. They don't really go to see more places in Thailand. It is simply a comfort stop. Many travel agents give them a free night or so stopover on their route.

So I don't see how the most people coming through an airport relates to being the best destination. If airlines decided to make Calcutta the major stopping point on route then Calcutta would be determined the best destination.

Bangkok is ok, but a city is a city.

• Like 1

Don't you think that it's a bit early to be crowing about best of anything for 2013. We are barely 40% into 2013.

And if this....The capital city of Thailand is known for its street food, entertainment, tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, shopping malls and the hospitality of people which draw a large number of tourists from overseas each year. Several foreign films featuring locations in Bangkok have also contributed to the rising fame.....is this the criteria? if it is you gotta be joking (holy sh!t someone might be serious)

I don't understand what's so good about Bangkok and why it should be the best destination in Thailand. Once you've seen the temples (can be done in a day) you've got shopping, eating and the naughty nightlife left. OK, the latter is of course the biggest drawcard (no surprises there) but for families, while the shopping and food are good - the same can be said about Phuket, Chiang Mai and Pattaya. All these cities have shopping that is just as good as Bangkok, same for food. Not to mention the fact that one can easily get around those cities and not spend 5 hours stuck in traffic, unless of course one stays in downtown and only ever has to go 2 skytrain stops to get anywhere. Bangkok is also a fairly ugly city, with row after row of boring, nondescript shop houses, a few temples interspersed between and in outlying areas you might find some nice housing estates or gated communities, but foreign visitors never go to those areas so that's irrelevant. Chiang Mai on the other hand, has beautiful mountains located just behind the city and Phuket has nice beaches nearby. Pattaya's beaches are nothing to write home about but a short drive away you have some nice beaches.

Right on the money Tom. I actually like Bangkok, it's a lived in city and the people are IMHO more honest (and many Thai's agree) but it was really the criteria as stated. e.g. tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, etc., some one has gotta be joking. Did they coin the phrase 'Amazing Thailand' based on tuk tuk's?

Bangkok airport is the major stop off point for airlines going long distance. To break up the trip many tourists decide to have a couple of days in Bangkok. They don't really go to see more places in Thailand. It is simply a comfort stop. Many travel agents give them a free night or so stopover on their route.

So I don't see how the most people coming through an airport relates to being the best destination. If airlines decided to make Calcutta the major stopping point on route then Calcutta would be determined the best destination.

Bangkok is ok, but a city is a city.

I agree - it also helps to prop up the numbers when most airlines are either forced to or deliberately choose to stop over in Bangkok without offering direct flights to Phuket, Chiang Mai etc. It continues to surprise me that there are no direct flights between say Chiang Mai and Cambodia or Vietnam, or Vietnam and Phuket, Krabi etc. All traffic is forced to go to Bangkok first.

Right on the money Tom. I actually like Bangkok, it's a lived in city and the people are IMHO more honest (and many Thai's agree) but it was really the criteria as stated. e.g. tuk-tuk tricycle taxis, etc., some one has gotta be joking. Did they coin the phrase 'Amazing Thailand' based on tuk tuk's?

Haha - absolutely man. In terms of tuk tuks, I think they conveniently left out the parts about overcharging, the tuk tuk accommodation and gem stone scams and the fumes you have to inhale while you're stuck in traffic, not to mention the combination of fumes, dust and sweat you'll be soaked in after even a short journey on one of those things. I have a few Vietnamese friends who like to take them for fun when in Bangkok or at least think of them as a convenient transport option but I haven't stepped foot in one for many years.

Thirty plus years. I guess you win! Even more predictable, is the expat married to a Thai who hates to see others express their views about Thailand which may be different from his, therefore the obligatory preemtive salvo hoping to neutralize expected line of opinion.

Some don't like Thailand or the locals but nevertheless are:

free to state their dislikes and displeasure

free to stay.

It's a free country eh mate?

• Like 1

Just a wee bit defensive are we, considering your's is the first post on the thread. Cut back on coffee as it will help lower your blood pressure.

As for the OP, the report states that Bangkok will be the most visited city in Asia for tourism. It did not state that it was the BEST city as the topic headline denotes.

Don't really see how positively expressing my love for Thailand signifies defensiveness and high blood pressure. And, FWIW, I never drink coffee.

As to my prediction of inevitable Thai bashing ... it was done half-jokingly, but I hate emoticons ... esp. that corny laughing-man ... and so I guess my poor attempt at humor failed.

And as a follow-up to my last post. Why do you have 800+ posts and you lived here for 30+ years?

Your posts have a particular smell to them.

just because he only has 800 + post doesn't mean he hasn't been coming to thailand for 30 years,maybe he only posts the odd time. what a silly thing to say

Edited by irishken
  • Like 1

Best is not a synonym for most popular. Mastercard claimed it was the most popular destination, not the best. Who, besides a teenage girl, would claim that Bieber was the best musician in the world. He may be popular but...

• Like 1

Best is not a synonym for most popular. Mastercard claimed it was the most popular destination, not the best. Who, besides a teenage girl, would claim that Bieber was the best musician in the world. He may be popular but...

I remember years ago, while living in Laos, NongKhai (where I often retreated to for a respite) was voted 4th best retirement destination IN THE WORLD (can't remember the publication, but it was American).

Now, I love the tranquility of NK...for say, a 5-day stay, but to retire there!"£$%^&*???

Some nice guys (as I recall), but also a lot of retirees going a little ga-ga.

Me tinks not trusting surveys is good advice.

...also, "paradise is a state of mind".

I've truly been to Paradise, or so I thought. From Maldives to
uninhabited islands in Caribbean/South Pacific. But, when you get there and the
overwhelming emotions subside...you ask yourself "now what?". It's
everything you expected plus much, much more...but then...!"£$%^&*?

never trust surveys, as the old saying goes "you can always manipulate bad numbers to tell a good story"

Edited by IDL

exactly right,they said the most popular and from seeing the huge amount of tourists flooding through swampy i would not argue with that

Just a wee bit defensive are we, considering your's is the first post on the thread. Cut back on coffee as it will help lower your blood pressure.

As for the OP, the report states that Bangkok will be the most visited city in Asia for tourism. It did not state that it was the BEST city as the topic headline denotes.

Don't really see how positively expressing my love for Thailand signifies defensiveness and high blood pressure. And, FWIW, I never drink coffee.

As to my prediction of inevitable Thai bashing ... it was done half-jokingly, but I hate emoticons ... esp. that corny laughing-man ... and so I guess my poor attempt at humor failed.

And as a follow-up to my last post. Why do you have 800+ posts and you lived here for 30+ years?

Your posts have a particular smell to them.

just because he only has 800 + post doesn't mean he hasn't been coming to thailand for 30 years,maybe he only posts the odd time. what a silly thing to say

What is silly is the gross overuse of the word "silly" in this forum. Increase your vocabulary if you need to comment.

And, indeed, it does begin. So very predictable.

I understand that some people don't like Thailand ... so be it. But what I find rather puzzling is how vile, vehement, and emotionally charged so many on TV get when expressing their dislikes and criticisms. And what totally mystifies me are the ones who continually do this and actually still choose to live here. Seems rather masochistic to me.

I must agree with your statement, WHY do they continue to complain when there is always an aeroplane

Ooooooh...and it only took us 16 posts to get to "If you don't like it...go home"!

• Like 1

Couldn't agree with the DocN more!

The 'go home crew' need something new to post, they are so boring and mundane. Just because all posters don't agree with all that happens here, doesn't mean they shouldn't live here. Maybe you should enlighten us all by telling us how and where you found utopia. If not, why don't you lot go home!

• Like 2

The 'go home crew' need something new to post, they are so boring and mundane. Just because all posters don't agree with all that happens here, doesn't mean they shouldn't live here. Maybe you should enlighten us all by telling us how and where you found utopia. If not, why don't you lot go home!

In my experience here (well over a decade...and you've never seen anything more decayed), all bar a handful of Farang will eventually get to the stage where they seriously question their own being here. That's not to say they will get-outta-dodge, just the rose-tinted glasses are a thing of the past.

That's the time many [often] turn bitter 'n' twisted. How I've kept my sanity (questionable of course) is to see it for what it is, early on. You choose to stay, or choose to go, aria-g'dai. But sharing an opinion of what we all see on a daily basis hardly constitutes being told to "bugger-off".

Intangible to gauge, obviously, but it would be interesting to see how many of the [go home crew] vocalists actually eat their words, somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

Even if it wasn't the world's best.. it still pretty high up, in any case. "Best" is usually subjective. Some people are too pussified to handle it, so for people like those, it's probably not the best destination.

And let's just hope these miserable fckers with colonialist mentality (people that can't understand anyone except themselfs and want to push their dick in other countries business) will leave the country as well, otherwise.. normal people will not be welcome here anymore in couple of dozens of years.

Normal like you? Oh, that would also be subjective wouldn't it?

• Like 1

In my experience here (well over a decade...and you've never seen anything more decayed), all bar a handful of Farang will eventually get to the stage where they seriously question their own being here. That's not to say they will get-outta-dodge, just the rose-tinted glasses are a thing of the past.

That's the time many [often] turn bitter 'n' twisted. How I've kept my sanity (questionable of course) is to see it for what it is, early on. You choose to stay, or choose to go, aria-g'dai. But sharing an opinion of what we all see on a daily basis hardly constitutes being told to "bugger-off".

Intangible to gauge, obviously, but it would be interesting to see how many of the [go home crew] vocalists actually eat their words, somewhere down the line.

Love it. The "respect your hosts crowd", and when they spiral down to cynicism with the best of us, wonder if they will pack it up and "go home" too? Probably not.

As long as the pendulum of cost vs. inconvenience is favorable, even if you despise fish sauce on your cucumbers, Thailand still has value on offer. BKK? Not so sure, I get in and outta there soon as I can, I'm one of those North sticks guys me self. Foogin' 'ell.

I've watched some Panama video lately, and reading between the lines and, specifically, the American on the motorbike (You Tube) videos, things there are just about like things here, just in Spanish vs. Thai. You have to expect that if you trade up the "1st" world for the 3rd, developing at best, to save a buck.

Thailand, warts and all, is still ok in my book for now. I can stay here on married extension for peanuts at 44 which is younger than western society tells me I should be able to goof off at my age. Yeah, making all those passport and visa copies sucks. Big time. Right.

J

...so arrival numbers are an important part of the criteria...

Having tens of thousands of foreigners living here on a tourist visa

helps, each and every time they 'pop-out' for a new exemption and/or stamp to

activate next part of current visa, they become a NEW arrival...again; quite

cunning, if you want to raise the number [on paper] of newcomers.

Watch-out guys, your 15-day stay could soon be down to 10.

seriously the amount of expats doing visa runs is so minisical in the grand scale that it doesn't even rate a mention. There is a large slice of these that are 50 or married that dont need to do a run either rolleyes.gif