Gas Leak Kills New Zealand Engineer At Trang Power Plant

webfact

My father was once electrocuted in an industrial accident. A building was being moved and his job was to disconnect the wires crossing the road. The electricity had been cut, or so he thought, and he proceeded and got shocked. That happened some 35 years ago.

The difference between Thailand and a Western country is this:

1. There were medical personnel around while the building was being moved. If there had not been, it might not have mattered since everyone had emergency medical training and there was ample medical equipment available.

2. Because my father failed to strictly adhere to all safety procedures, he was suspended from work for 3 days without pay. He was also required to attend additional safety classes once he returned to work.

Oh, and he was very lucky in that he was not seriously injured, but he was rendered unconscious for a time and was left dangling in his safety harness, which was rigged in such a way that he could be pulled down from the pole by another person and CPR administered.

• Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a written procedure to operate a Motor Vehicle....a combination of the Road Code and the Vehicle Standards including the Vehicle Owner's handbook which is supposed to be provided with it. There is also a permit to work. A driver's licence.

A drivers license is not a permit to work...rolleyes.gif

as you probably are too) just wonder why more people aren't killed here because of lack of training and some sort of governance.

Let me answer that question by turning the question around, why is it people are still killed in those countries where there is rigid goverence, robust "paperwork" and people have been trained ?

The UK has some of the strictest safety nazi's in the world ie in the form of the Health & Safety Executive but yet every year people are killed/maimed in industry in the UK (mainly the construction industry)

The perception a lot of people have including many "safety professionals" is that paperwork safety systems only make things safer...no they dont, paper work safety processes are only one of the tools used to make things safer.

The typical thing that happens when an incident occurs is to create "another bit of paper" and the root cause of the incident is not properly addressed, or as you know in Oil & gas they attempt to ban some inamimate object which "caused" the incident...ie things like trying to ban tooth picks offshore cos there dangerous..rolleyes.gif

In Oil and Gas we hear the term "no blame polcies" when it comes to safety and incidents, and a lot of companies say we dont want to blame anybody, but understand what happened...my response is BS...the primary purpose of these investigations IS to put the blame on somebody, preferably someone who is a sub-contractor...whistling.gif

Although it sounds very cliched, the term "you are responsible for your own safety" is very true, I have stood by this concept for years and I have walked away from jobs which in my opinion were too dangerous to get involved with, I would rather loose a job than loose my life becasue of what some idiot is doing.

In aviation the term 'no blame culture' was wrongly used and thrown around for many years. We altered it. When it comes to Human errors in the work place, we do not want a 'no blame culture' we want a 'Just Culture'.

I certainly know what PTW is, having worked on all facets of them for nearly 30 years, and that includes risk assessment, safety isolations, preparing and issuing, and working under them in confined spaces and hazardous environments.

So I have to ask why are there 7 people (now 8) inside the vent system of what was initially reported as an operating plant, where are the BA sets, safety men, retrieval harnesses and SOP to NOT rush into a gas leak?

According the the report above "where a gas production facility with a production capacity of five megawatts was under construction"

It wasnt an operating plant but under construction, although what you have stated for operating plant is correct, the same rules may not be required during construction, based on this latest report sounds like construction/commissioning was on-going

suppose one question is what is Ammonia being used for ?...not a very pleasant substance to be around

The initial report was that 2 people were feeding wood into a chipper, but that could be wrong, like most of that report.

I was on a Kellog ammonia plant for 8+ years, and yes, it is nasty, dangerous stuff. No idea what it would be used for on a biomass generating plant other than some form of water treatment (??) for the cooling tower (??).

I also worked at Bayswater PS (4 x 660MW) during the construction phase, units brought on-line sequentially, and OHS was tight as a drum. I don't want to speculate, but to me a vent system is where the nasty stuff goes, which means highest level safety precautions even if they prove unnecessary.

UPDATE:

Trang biomass plant ordered closed after fatal gas leak

TRANG, 11 June 2013 (NNT) - Trang provincial authorities has shut down a biomass power plant after a poison gas leak killed two people and wounded two others.

Department of Industrial Works (DIW) director-general Nattapon Natthasomboon issued a closure order on the Plan Eco Energy plant after surveying the site in Yan Ta Khao district.

A New Zealand engineer and a Thai employee died trying to rescue two workers caught in a gas leak overnight. The pair passed out after inhaling a mixture of Carbon monoxide, Hydrogen and Methane. The Samaritans later died in the hospital.

The plant has been ordered to halt mechanical operations until repairs are completed and improved safety measures are implemented.

The DIW will evaluate the safety of the plant once all repairs are finished and decide whether it should be reopened.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-11 footer_n.gif

I certainly know what PTW is, having worked on all facets of them for nearly 30 years, and that includes risk assessment, safety isolations, preparing and issuing, and working under them in confined spaces and hazardous environments.

So I have to ask why are there 7 people (now 8) inside the vent system of what was initially reported as an operating plant, where are the BA sets, safety men, retrieval harnesses and SOP to NOT rush into a gas leak?

According the the report above "where a gas production facility with a production capacity of five megawatts was under construction"

It wasnt an operating plant but under construction, although what you have stated for operating plant is correct, the same rules may not be required during construction, based on this latest report sounds like construction/commissioning was on-going

suppose one question is what is Ammonia being used for ?...not a very pleasant substance to be around

The initial report was that 2 people were feeding wood into a chipper, but that could be wrong, like most of that report.

I was on a Kellog ammonia plant for 8+ years, and yes, it is nasty, dangerous stuff. No idea what it would be used for on a biomass generating plant other than some form of water treatment (??) for the cooling tower (??).

I also worked at Bayswater PS (4 x 660MW) during the construction phase, units brought on-line sequentially, and OHS was tight as a drum. I don't want to speculate, but to me a vent system is where the nasty stuff goes, which means highest level safety precautions even if they prove unnecessary.

As you can see in post #65..they are now saying it was carbon monoxide/Hydrogen/methane...the carbon monoxide/methane..understandable if they are burning natural gas..but hydrogen ?

I am a member of Michael's Family in New Zealand and am trying to find out more information regarding what happened which is proving to be hard. If any of you could help with related news stories or information that you know of it would be much appreciated.

I am a member of Michael's Family in New Zealand and am trying to find out more information regarding what happened which is proving to be hard. If any of you could help with related news stories or information that you know of it would be much appreciated.

One of the members "TEP" seems to be involved with EGAT/ bodies involved in the accident, why dont you send him a PM and maybe he can find out some info for you or he may be able to put you on to someone who can give you the correct info, there seems to be a lot of confusion in the news reports as to waht exactly happened....

Sorry for your loss

I worked in industrial water treatment for years, cooling towers and boilers, never used ammonia for anything. Usually in a industrial setting could be used as a refrigerant, normally found in use at ice making plants.

Obviously proper permit to work management systems are not in place

not too obvious... procedures and systems cannot prevent all incidents.

As an ex power station employee, and leading fireman..........sniffers are used to detect gas before entering,and of course breathing apparatus is used by the people using the sniffer. So the original writer is correct. Still tragic though .........condolences to the families.

Ravenslayer

Condolences to you all on the death of Michael.

One thing that continues to perplex me is why the newspapers are reporting that the incident took place in the early hours of the morning. As I got into bed at 1030 pm my wife showed me a facebook entry from the Trang Newspaper telling of the deaths at the factory. The facebook entry was timed 10.05 pm and a further comment on that entry described the event having taken place at 4.30pm that day. For some reason the police are saying 12.30am the following day and some newspapers 1.30am. The discrepancies seem worthy of further investigation. I will endeavor to get some screen shots of the appropriate post, which although in Thai language the times are clearly apparent. I am a 25 minute drive from where the incident took place and am more than happy to assist in getting you more info if you wish. I am sure that amongst us if the posts in Thai language are significant we can get them translated.

Again, condolences to your family at this difficult time.

• Like 1

I worked in industrial water treatment for years, cooling towers and boilers, never used ammonia for anything. Usually in a industrial setting could be used as a refrigerant, normally found in use at ice making plants.

The ammonia angle stated in earlier news reports appears to be wrong, they are now talking about Carbon monoxide/methane, but for some reason hydrogen is mentioned ?

if we exclude the hydrogen it appears they are talking about an "engine" running on natural gas, and obviously the carbon monosxide is the by product of the combustion process

An earlier post by one of the members talks about the accident occuring at a "wood factory" were wood chips are being burnt, therefore the "engine" talked about could infact be the furnace used to burn the wood chips which is fueled by natural gas

The ammonia angle stated in earlier news reports appears to be wrong, they are now talking about Carbon monoxide/methane, but for some reason hydrogen is mentioned ?

if we exclude the hydrogen it appears they are talking about an "engine" running on natural gas, and obviously the carbon monosxide is the by product of the combustion process

An earlier post by one of the members talks about the accident occuring at a "wood factory" were wood chips are being burnt, therefore the "engine" talked about could infact be the furnace used to burn the wood chips which is fueled by natural gas

I have a photo of the wood chipping area, I just need to upload it. From post number 50 as well from todays newspaper.

The biomass plant, which was in the process of having a control system installed, was Paraveneer 2002 Co's project to use rubber-tree chips and sawdust, as well as agricultural waste from the local area, to produce electricity.

I was thinking possibly pH correction. I remember having a small aqua ammonia plant at Bayswater but can't remember what it was for, certainly not CW, but possibly the distilled water system used for cooling the alternator windings. Immaterial as story has now changed again.

Its not that the gas is toxic, its that there is no oxygen and persons become asphyxiated by the gases, knocked unconscious, and silently suffocate to death before anyone else knows what has happened.

So what is a toxic gas then?

Its not that the gas is toxic, its that there is no oxygen and persons become asphyxiated by the gases, knocked unconscious, and silently suffocate to death before anyone else knows what has happened.

So what is a toxic gas then?

Wow 504 posts in less than three months ... going for the record Harry!

OK here you can find the list of toxic gasses www.ehs.washington.edu/fsohazmat/toxicgaslst.pdf

Dying by breathing in a toxic gas and asphyxiation are completely different although the result is of course the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Michael's family are still looking for further information about this and it is proving to be very difficult to contact anyone who knows exactly what happen. I am Michael's cousin in NZ and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Michael's family are still looking for further information about this and it is proving to be very difficult to contact anyone who knows exactly what happen. I am Michael's cousin in NZ and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have a read through the posts here, there are couple of members who may be able to help you out, one is called "Tep" can maybe send him a PM

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

If you read my posts you will see that I mention a post that was made by the local newspaper many hours before it was claimed the event happened. That post has been removed! All other posts are there, but that one has gone. Why is that? I will call the newspaper on Monday and find out.

• Like 1