Submit Your Local Exchange Rates (Hi And Lows) ?

Hello everyone,

I was shocked in an upmarket hotel in Phuket this morning when i asked reception to exchange £200 for me into Thai baht, i was told the rate today (at the hotel) was 38 baht per one pound so i would of received b7600 for the £200 Gbp, After picking myself up from the nicely polished floor i politely said, 'Oh.. it doesnt matter, thankyou, i was just asking' then i left.

I then went to a currency exchange shop in the shopping area and was told (25 minutes later) that i could get a rate of 47.3 baht per one pound thus giving me Thb 9460 for £200 Gbp, thats a whopping 1860thb difference!!

When i got back to the hotel i got the wife (she is Thai) to ring reception and ask the rates for today (10th June 2013), she was given as follows:

Gbp: 38. (in the exchange shop was 47.3)

Usd: 24.

Euro: 32

Aud: 22.5

If anyone is in a hotel (as many will be i think) could you let me know what kind of rate/s you are getting please?

(as a topic of interest as to how much these hotels, money shops or bars are offering).

Thanks.... Kevin

P.s, Sorry if there is already a thread or Topic on this, i could not find one.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to standard font.

Check the exchange rates given by Thai banks/ATMs for notes, checks, TT, etc., at this site: Link. Might help in the comparison. But if using the ATM be sure to keep in mind the Thai bank ATM foreign card fee of 150/180 baht plus any foreign transaction fee the home country bank issuing your card will charge. Use an AEON ATM if available as they don't charge the 150/180 baht foreign card fee.

Exchange rates given at hotels is just another cash cow for them...they will milk you any time of the day or night--and be super polite in doing so.

only totally inexperienced travellers change money at a hotel reception.

If you only want to change a very small amount of money and its late at night when everything is closed OK.

It is an abject emergency facility.

Very true! A convenient place to change money, especially after 10 pints of stout in the lobby bar. whistling.gif

Edited by Morakot