Just About To Buy A New Honda Cb500F. A Few Questions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am torn between the CBR 500 X and CBR 500 F.

I like the riding position of the F. It feels really comfortable for me at 5'5". However the lack of any windshield puts me off. Perhaps a small windshield can be fitted. I feel even a small windshield can make a significant difference.

The X should be more comfortable. It has better suspension. It has a comfier seat. Is it less revvy? Can someone confirm this? On the flip side, I lose some field of vision in front of the front wheel and it feels unnatural not to be able to look down on the front wheel (as I have been able on every bike I have ever owned and can do on my current CBR 150Ri). I am worried it will be top heavy, but the comments here suggest that is not the case.

So, if anyone has windshield comments for the F, I'd like to hear. And if anyone under 5'9" has comments on the riding position and view you get on the X, that would be great too.

The X should be more comfortable. It has better suspension.

I would not let that weigh too much on your decision

as far as I know it is the same suspension with probably heavier fork oil or maybe a longer spacer

to increase preload

The fork has a tiny bit more travel is all probably due to oil/maybe spring rate

I find all stock bikes too soft anyway & am changing springs in mine today coincidentally

I like the riding position of the F. It feels really comfortable for me at 5'5". However the lack of any windshield puts me off. Perhaps a small windshield can be fitted. I feel even a small windshield can make a significant difference.

The X should be more comfortable. It has better suspension. It has a comfier seat. Is it less revvy? Can someone confirm this? On the flip side, I lose some field of vision in front of the front wheel and it feels unnatural not to be able to look down on the front wheel (as I have been able on every bike I have ever owned and can do on my current CBR 150Ri). I am worried it will be top heavy, but the comments here suggest that is not the case.

So, if anyone has windshield comments for the F, I'd like to hear. And if anyone under 5'9" has comments on the riding position and view you get on the X, that would be great too.

X better......

The X should be more comfortable. It has better suspension. It has a comfier seat. Is it less revvy? Can someone confirm this?

The X would have worse suspension than the F due to the bike being taller. Also the seat is less comfy than the F. The engine is identical (apart from different coloured paint on the casings) so is equally as revvy.

The X should be more comfortable. It has better suspension. It has a comfier seat. Is it less revvy? Can someone confirm this?

The X would have worse suspension than the F due to the bike being taller. Also the seat is less comfy than the F. The engine is identical (apart from different coloured paint on the casings) so is equally as revvy.

The X and F share almost every component except for front suspension and seat and a few bits if plastic.

I don't think its fair to say the X has "worse suspension" - depends what you want. The X has slightly softer front suspension than the F (I think rear mono-shock is identical). So, for the many rough roads in Thailand, the X will be a little more able to soak up big bumps, and the more upright position helps manoeuvrability The Fs slightly firmer suspension and lower handlebars should make it better for track days - although a good rider will get similar lap times from both.

I can't comment on the seat on the F - I have only sat on one, not spent hours riding. But I have no complaints about the one piece seat on the X, and have spent more than 8 hours in one day riding with no problems. I can't do that on the 250 seat.

95% of what I do is 100% legal.

The X and F share almost every component except for front suspension

But afaik All 3 Honda 500 models have the exact same suspension

41mm forks in front.

I would guess The difference is simply added oil or stiffer spring rate

giving the X 5.5" travel due to less sag versus 4.3" for the cbr & f models

I could be wrong & maybe the x has longer legs?

Edited by mania

Just my 2ct: The F certainly looks better than the X - in the photos that wasn't obvious but in real life, F. IMO the F is the best looking of them all. The opposite of what I thought from the pix.

Then there's the practical aspect - The X has great wind protection but as far as I can tell the suspension isn't all that different. A tiny bit higher, that's it. This is pretty different from the ER-6n vs. Versys where the Versys suspension is totally different, and much better. On my little test ride, the CBX suspension was a letdown - not a reason to buy that bike.

So yeah I'd probably go for the F as well...

Ermax and a few others have the aftermarket windscreen for the f. Imho Unless you are going 120km and more for long distances, there is not much of a difference. The bike's not that powerful.

Edited by kittosoft

Many thanks for all your comments. I am still undecided!! I am now not so confused about the (lack of) difference between the X and the F. I kept thinking Kawasaki er-6n vs Versys where there are more differences.

Took my girlfriend to look at the bikes today. Her verdict, based on nothing more than looks, was .......... don't buy either, get a Kawasaki er-6n. This was aside from some smartarse comments about me being too short to ride a NC 700. bah.gif

Looks like I'll be tossing a coin.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your comments. I am still undecided!! I am now not so confused about the (lack of) difference between the X and the F. I kept thinking Kawasaki er-6n vs Versys where there are more differences.

Took my girlfriend to look at the bikes today. Her verdict, based on nothing more than looks, was .......... don't buy either, get a Kawasaki er-6n. This was aside from some smartarse comments about me being too short to ride a NC 700. bah.gif

I kinda agree with your girlfriend

I mean about the er-6n not about your being short tongue.png

Edited by mania

IMHO. Know your own riding style (aggressive ,relaxing etc) and choose. Personally I will love bikes that accelerate 0-100km in about 4 seconds, so cb500 series is out. It is a smooth bike with smooth pick up and too relax for my style.

Er6n (from year 2012) is a maybe for me. Have to test and know the price of the z800 before I could make a decision. Verys is a tamed version of the Er6n.

Never owned any of them but had rode them(friend's). In addition , still could not convince myself to get a bike that is more than 500cc because of the mechanics in Thailand.

Happy shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought Id log in and say a few words about how the first couple of months have gone for me since I bought the CB500F.

Ive actually been away in Spain visiting my Mum for 3 weeks of those 2 months and clocked just over 4,000km. So I have only had 5 weeks actual riding the Chiang Mai roads and surrounding area so far. Whilst on the Spanish note, I noticed how much I enjoyed seeing the whole range of bikes on the road there, such a vast range floating about. Id see some lovely 2nd hand bikes for sale too. My head was turning all over the place smile.png

But back to the point... the 500F. And my point is not to give a review in the strictest sense of the word as Im not remotely experienced enough for that. Just to say my bit for those that might be considering buying one.

Firstly, Ive enjoyed it a lot. Its been great fun. Ive traveled further up North at least 6 times finding some glorious roads along the way. I find the F a very smooth ride (the way it accelerates.) I also find it ultra easy to ride in and around town. That wasnt the case in the first week as I got used to it but now its a doddle and in and out of small spaces its good in my opinion. Also economical though im still adjusting to the difference between the F and a Honda Wave100cc tank of petrol ! But after reading stuff on the net and hearing friends talk about their bikes consumption - it seems fair at the least. Because of my lack of experience at the higher speeds Im not sure about the usual level of wind buffeting at over 130kph etc. For me it does feel like I am being buffeted a fair bit at speeds over 130kph. Though Id need to ride a bike with fairing at those speeds to really tell the difference. I havent yet been over 158kph for the record.

I do notice there have been a few times where id like more speed. A, in getting to 100kph and B, at the top end. I think kittosoft,s comments about knowing your own riding style are sound advice and perhaps if I knew then what I know now, when purchasing the bike, I might have gone for the ER6 or looked into some other options.

Though I do not feel frustrated with the performance of the F and still daily she makes me smile. As I havent ridden a 'big' bike in many years (I know to many a F wouldnt be considered a big bike) and never before in Thailand, I am happy to cut my teeth on the F for a fair few years yet though do envisage the day where I step up to a 600cc faster bike.

Im trying to think of any gripes Ive had so far but other than wanting a tad more speed on certain roads can think of none.

Oh, just thought of one, one that I knew about before buying the bike though. I am 6 foot 2'' and in a ideal world would prefer a slightly higher seat. I remember the 600cc Bandit I used to own being taller (though I dont know the actual specs so could be wrong though doubt it) and I enjoyed that height a tad more. But to anyone tall considering it I can sincerely say it does not bug me or get me down. Just in a ideal world is all.

Cheers.

Edited by marcusmarsh
  • Like 1

I have changed my mind again and will get the X.

Marcus

What did you think of the brakes with ABS?

How comfortable was the bike after a long ride of say more than 150 km?

How do you stop monkey imitators climbing all over your bike when it is parked up somewhere?

Edited by Briggsy

I have changed my mind again and will get the X.

Marcus

What did you think of the brakes with ABS?

How comfortable was the bike after a long ride of say more than 150 km?

How do you stop monkey imitators climbing all over your bike when it is parked up somewhere?

ABS - If I had ridden many more bigger bikes without ABS perhaps I could give a better opinion about them. All I can say is I have never, as yet, had a moments bother with the brakes. Feel comfortable and safe with them. Not yet skidded or undercooked a break or nowt.

Comfort - this has often surprised me. I always feel totally fine after long rides on it. Recently me and two mates left town at 8.30am and didnt return until 9pm. The only stops were for a coffee, brunch and dinner plus a few 10 minute ones for great views. Probably a total of 2 and half hours off the bike in total and I was 100% fine. Ive also done a couple of over nighters and then got back on the bike the next day and still fine. Being tall I do usually get the odd ache and pain in my lower back generally (after sports, meditation retreats, bus rides and whatnot) but never have on this bike at all. No dead ass either too. Still pleasantly surprises me every time.

Monkeys - not spotted any yet. Though on the issue of parking fwiw I do always find a corner spot where possible. My mate who bought a new vespa recently has 3 dents in it already, one bigger than a golf ball size type dent (he nor me can work out how that particular one got there.) But it got me thinking about my parking practices. I now give it a lot more thought. I will usually find a place where only one bike can come along side of it reducing the chance of it being scrapped etc So a corner where possible or close to a wall. I used to park for free at the Tesco Lotus which in hindsight was crazy what with the shopping trolleys etc floating about. Now I pay the 3 or 4 baht and park against the wall there (Tight ? Me ?). But even then I park it a good 10 metres away from the mass of bikes. I mean why not ?

Enjoy the X Briggsy. When I went on that long day trip, a mate of mine had hired the X so I took a spin on it and did notice the more upright position feeling of it though that was the only difference I noticed. Having said that cos of my height I am in pretty much the same position on the F but with the X my arms are more bent at 90 degree angle where as the F they are straight out.

Chatting about it makes me feel like a quick spin now :) She needs a clean so i,ll probably take her down the garage and add a bit wax to the paintwork and metal cleaner on the headers when I get back. If only I would take as much care about the cleanliness of my house !

The more post i read about the honda 500 series the less impressed i am :/(

Two second places and a first in Motorcycle Magazines 2013 bike of the year awards.

Not bad for an unimpressive bike.

Have you tried riding one yet or are you just another typical TV barstool expert?

The more post i read about the honda 500 series the less impressed i am :/(

Two second places and a first in Motorcycle Magazines 2013 bike of the year awards.

Not bad for an unimpressive bike.

Have you tried riding one yet or are you just another typical TV barstool expert?

Honestly i never heard of a magazine with the name "motorcycle magazines"? Yes i did google the name with no luck. As far as riding i was suppose to ride my friends but he has been waiting for parts with no eta?

• 1 month later...

Ive lost my spare key to my 500F. Apparently, if I am understanding the guy correctly, I can not just get a key cut at the local key cut guy as it wont work. I couldnt really 100% understand what he was saying but he seemed insistent a locally cut copy will not fire up the engine.

Anyone know if this is true ?

I just wanna check before I go and try my luck. It means I only have the one key and should I lose that it would cost me 20,000 baht to change the ignition system. <deleted> knows how I lost it though it was during a 3 week spell of pure decadence which probably had something to do with it.

Ive lost my spare key to my 500F. Apparently, if I am understanding the guy correctly, I can not just get a key cut at the local key cut guy as it wont work. I couldnt really 100% understand what he was saying but he seemed insistent a locally cut copy will not fire up the engine.

Anyone know if this is true ?

I just wanna check before I go and try my luck. It means I only have the one key and should I lose that it would cost me 20,000 baht to change the ignition system. <deleted> knows how I lost it though it was during a 3 week spell of pure decadence which probably had something to do with it.

if you use you all keys, yes, you have to change the ignition system! as we have HISS security system - the one blinking reds on the dash - so all keys has a chip in them.

be careful on this!

I think seeing it (the fact I lost a key) actually typed out in black and white made me think how ridiculous that I managed to lose the key. So I began my third house hunt and there she was - in the pocket of a pair of jeans that had been washed and were hanging up in my cupboard - result.

On a different matter, Id like a couple of very small touch ups on my bike,s paintwork. Tiny they are though obviously happy to pay nicely for the job to be done. Anyone know of a spray paint place that could do the job please ?

As always - appreciate any replies.