Why The Internet Speed Is So Slow On 4Pm-8Pm Everyday? I'm Using 3Bb.

jiangaq

I have a similar slow down every day except that it doesn't go back to normal at 8PM. I have a 10 MB/sec package from 3BB and most of the time the max speed in around 5 MB/sec but every day it slows down to about 50 KB/sec at around 4 PM and doesn't go back to normal until some time after midnight. It happens every day with out fail. The main reason that I don't think that it's simply due to there being more people using the internet during those hours is that the speed change seems to be a step function -- it immediately goes from 5 MB/sec down to 50 KB/sec and then immediate back up again. If it was just due to heavier internet usage I wouldn't expect it to be so consistent, rather I would expect that sometimes the speed would only drop to 100KB/sec or 200KB/sec, or perhaps stall completely, instead of consistently going to 50 KB/sec. But it doesn't seem to ever do that.

Edited by AngelsLariat

I have a similar slow down every day except that it doesn't go back to normal at 8PM. I have a 10 MB/sec package from 3BB and most of the time the max speed in around 5 MB/sec but every day it slows down to about 50 KB/sec at around 4 PM and doesn't go back to normal until some time after midnight. It happens every day with out fail. The main reason that I don't think that it's simply due to there being more people using the internet during those hours is that the speed change seems to be a step function -- it immediately goes from 5 MB/sec down to 50 KB/sec and then immediate back up again. If it was just due to heavier internet usage I wouldn't expect it to be such an "all or nothing", rather I would expect that sometime the speed would drop to 100KB/sec or 200KB/sec instead of all the way down to 50 KB/sec. But it doesn't seem to ever do that.

YES, I am totally agree with you! Guess 3BB must do something to limit the bandwidth.

I find I often have success switching the router off for a few minutes. Technically it shouldn't make a difference but it's fixed alleviated the problem for me too often to be coincidence (i.e. not 'fixed' as in speeds to write home about, but definitely much better).

I find I often have success switching the router off for a few minutes. Technically it shouldn't make a difference but it's fixed alleviated the problem for me too often to be coincidence (i.e. not 'fixed' as in speeds to write home about, but definitely much better).

Same here. I thought I had a bad router, but two have the same problem, and it's not just stalling, but often disconnects, so I have to power off and on several times or walk away and let it correct itself.

Same here I'm with True Broadband and have asked my GF to ring to sort out and she says they'll look into it (hahahahaha) it seems to be every provider and for me it seems to be at its worst in the evenings, if I go on in the morning then no problems, good download speed and buffering etc... I thought it was number of users on line at any given time but???

Why are the roads into the centre of town so busy when everyone is on them? Takes ages for me to drive to 7eleven but at midnight I can drive it in no time?

(Internet congestion in laymans terms)

Some roads and internet providers have enough capacity to cope with high demand. Most dont.

I am also suffering slow Internet especially in the afternoon. Now 04.50 normal good transmission speeds.

I am on 3BB and use the B1100 per month, mind you I do pay a single yearly in advance payment.

I think it's something to do with the Kids/Uni students back to instruction.

My problems seem to have started three weeks ago when the little Blighters returned.

john

Why are the roads into the centre of town so busy when everyone is on them? Takes ages for me to drive to 7eleven but at midnight I can drive it in no time?

(Internet congestion in laymans terms)

Some roads and internet providers have enough capacity to cope with high demand. Most dont.

When I drive into town there are times when I can go 90 kph, there are times when I can go 80 kph, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 etc and sometimes when I'm stopped completely. But (still using your road jam analogy) with my 3BB internet it is always either 90 kph or 20 kph, never do I go one of the other speeds. Any idea why that would be?

Answer: the internet in this country is satisfactory at best and typically mediocre for the most part. Like everything else here, you have to avoid going cheap to give yourself a fighting chance, but are not guaranteed stated speeds and consistency on the higher packages either. It also depends on your exchange and where you are located, and of course the ISP, with TOT consistently the biggest waste of space in the land.

Answer: the internet in this country is satisfactory at best and typically mediocre for the most part. Like everything else here, you have to avoid going cheap to give yourself a fighting chance, but are not guaranteed stated speeds and consistency on the higher packages either. It also depends on your exchange and where you are located, and of course the ISP, with TOT consistently the biggest waste of space in the land.

If a more expensive 3BB package would increase my speeds I might spring for it, but I'm not so sure that it would. My 10 MB/s package usually maxes out somewhere around 5 to 6 MB/s and from about 4PM until after midnight about 50KB/s. If upgraded to the 20 MB/s package, I'm not so sure whether I would get twice those speeds or if it still get the same speeds. Edited by AngelsLariat

^ Exactly, my thoughts too. The university-student-return scenario, while seemingly a likely cause, is probably not; otherwise, we'd have been experiencing this throughout the past academic semester, which is not so.

Onward internet sleuths!

• 1 month later...

If a more expensive 3BB package would increase my speeds I might spring for it, but I'm not so sure that it would. My 10 MB/s package usually maxes out somewhere around 5 to 6 MB/s and from about 4PM until after midnight about 50KB/s. If upgraded to the 20 MB/s package, I'm not so sure whether I would get twice those speeds or if it still get the same speeds.

I have a 3BB fixed IPA, 5MB/1MB, 3,000 baht/month. My hope was that this expensive plan (as I understand it, no no other users share the line) would minimize problems with disconnects, line drops, and narrow bandwidths. At the moment (8am), I am streaming video over the Internet (Slingbox) and my bandwidth is going bonkers! Swings from a 1200 Kbps to 80 Kbps! What's going on with 3BB? Am I getting my money's worth?

If a more expensive 3BB package would increase my speeds I might spring for it, but I'm not so sure that it would. My 10 MB/s package usually maxes out somewhere around 5 to 6 MB/s and from about 4PM until after midnight about 50KB/s. If upgraded to the 20 MB/s package, I'm not so sure whether I would get twice those speeds or if it still get the same speeds.

I have a 3BB fixed IPA, 5MB/1MB, 3,000 baht/month. My hope was that this expensive plan (as I understand it, no no other users share the line) would minimize problems with disconnects, line drops, and narrow bandwidths. At the moment (8am), I am streaming video over the Internet (Slingbox) and my bandwidth is going bonkers! Swings from a 1200 Kbps to 80 Kbps! What's going on with 3BB? Am I getting my money's worth?

I don't think that having a fixed IP address means that you won't be competing with other 3BB users for bandwidth, it just means that your IP address won't ever change.

I don't think that having a fixed IP address means that you won't be competing with other 3BB users for bandwidth, it just means that your IP address won't ever change.

What advantage, then, would a static/fixed IP address provide? It was my understanding that I would not need to compete with other 3BB users for bandwidth, as a "shared" package subscriber would experience. If the (expensive) fixed IPA is not the answer, and I am beginning to believe this, what to do next? Cancel this 3BB plan and try something else?

What advantage, then, would a static/fixed IP address provide? It was my understanding that I would not need to compete with other 3BB users for bandwidth, as a "shared" package subscriber would experience. If the (expensive) fixed IPA is not the answer, and I am beginning to believe this, what to do next? Cancel this 3BB plan and try something else?

Having an fixed IP address is useful if you're running a server that you want to be available to external users. That way your users can always find your server at the same IP address (otherwise it might change from day to day). But aside from that, I'm not very clear about what one gets by buying 3BB's 3000 baht package that you don't get by buying 3BB's cheapest package.

Edited by AngelsLariat

3bb has been crap for the last week or so everyday from around lunch time, slows right down and often cant even get pages to load. To top it off it has been randomly going off at night, sometimes every few minutes, sometimes for just a few seconds and for longer as well. Thought it was the modem/router till I tried another one and it still happened, seems like 3bb is falling down a big hole or having major technical problems.

My 3BB has been pretty normal... right now getting 8megs down... and if i go to youtube and pull some movies, it pops up to 12 or so.... it does slow a bit, sometimes, during that time frame though. Like the last few afternoons it went down to 5mb... but again, if i went to youtube, it pulled me right out to the max....

to a certain extent it will depend on your pathways to your sites/files and also on their availability in terms of BW...

i have been quite content of late...

I have a similar slow down every day except that it doesn't go back to normal at 8PM. I have a 10 MB/sec package from 3BB and most of the time the max speed in around 5 MB/sec but every day it slows down to about 50 KB/sec at around 4 PM and doesn't go back to normal until some time after midnight. It happens every day with out fail. The main reason that I don't think that it's simply due to there being more people using the internet during those hours is that the speed change seems to be a step function -- it immediately goes from 5 MB/sec down to 50 KB/sec and then immediate back up again. If it was just due to heavier internet usage I wouldn't expect it to be so consistent, rather I would expect that sometimes the speed would only drop to 100KB/sec or 200KB/sec, or perhaps stall completely, instead of consistently going to 50 KB/sec. But it doesn't seem to ever do that.

That makes sense. It also is a matter of how close you are to a tower. My 3BB has been working fine until yesterday when it would not even connect. I have a back up AIS air stick donagal not sure which is the proper name. It always is faster.