Phuket’s new Airport Bus slated for July 1 launch

Lite Beer

I just heard through the TGF whos cousin drives a green plate taxi, that the fare will be 300thb per foreigner and 50thb will be taken out of that fare and will be divided among the Patong Taxi Association. When they eventually get to Kata / Karon the fares will be 350thb and the taxi/tuk tuk drivers will get 100thb in Kata/Karon for loss of earnings.

Thai nationals will be charged 75thb with no money going to either groups of taxis

Why don't you have this figure corroborated by your tuktuk driver friend?

Sounds a complete load of fabricated crap.

But this is Phuket!

I just heard through the TGF whos cousin drives a green plate taxi, that the fare will be 300thb per foreigner and 50thb will be taken out of that fare and will be divided among the Patong Taxi Association. When they eventually get to Kata / Karon the fares will be 350thb and the taxi/tuk tuk drivers will get 100thb in Kata/Karon for loss of earnings.

Thai nationals will be charged 75thb with no money going to either groups of taxis

I hear many things every day. Sometimes it is true and sometimes it is worth it sharing it with others, like posting it on Thai Visa.

But something like this, which has clearly no truth whatsoever in it, no.

They're already pretty much in the dark and fed BS on the value of their life in their vacation choice anyway, what's a little mob violence?

Good Luck to 'em.

Bring your flack vest and combat helmet.

One thing certain and two things sure, I would not want to be one of the first tourists to ride this bus. Visions of bricks coming through the windows comes to mind.

AS for charging 350 for a 10 minute ride, I believe it.

Edited by MacChine

Phuket airport to Patong bus starts July 1. Definitely
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1371645738_1.jpg
The buses used for the service will be small 24-seaters.

PHUKET: -- The long-awaited bus service from Phuket International Airport to Patong will launch on July 1, it was confirmed in a meeting this afternoon (June 19) at Phuket Provincial Hall.

The buses used for the service will be small 24-seaters.
Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada and Chief of the Phuket Land Transportation Office (PLTO), Teerayut Prasertphol said that though the airport bus would first go only as far as Patong, the plan was still for it to run all the way to Karon and then Kata.

Taxi drivers in both those towns have said – quite vehemently – that they will block any attempt to drive the bus into their territory.

The meeting was told that if the airport to Patong route is successful, then other routes will be opened up.

As for where exactly the bus will stop in Patong, Mr Teerayut told The Phuket News, “There is already a designated bus stop area in Patong, in front of Banzaan Market [on Phang Muang Sai Kor Rd, close to Jungceylon].

“But the location of the airport bus stop is not yet confirmed. I have to discuss this with Airport Director Pratueng Sornkham.

“That bus stop should be close to the main entrance and exit, so that passengers can leave and board the bus conveniently.”

Addressing concerns that taxi drivers may cause trouble, he said, “I believe that Patong Mayor Pian Keesin has already talked with the Patong taxi drivers, and there will be no problems when the bus service launches.

“Whatever happens, this bus service has to happen. It will be ready to begin on July 1.”

It is not yet clear just how the bus will reach Banzaan Market. Much of Phang Muang Sai Kor Rd is currently dug up, and will remain that way until construction is completed in December.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-to-patong-bus-starts-july-1-definitely-40266.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-06-20

It's a good start, let's see what happens.

Well ... it's not started yet, let's see how it 'starts' on 1 July 2013 tongue.png

Based on other news sources the start date will probably be later than 1 July.

Until this service runs between beaches, it will not be used. Why would anyone choose this service over the shared van direct to their hotel scenario? This service is about the same cost and then the punters would still need to use another service to get to their hotel rendering this service more costly than the shared vans.

Until this service runs between beaches, it will not be used. Why would anyone choose this service over the shared van direct to their hotel scenario? This service is about the same cost and then the punters would still need to use another service to get to their hotel rendering this service more costly than the shared vans.

Exactly.....

Exactly.....

Eh?......that being the case then there would be no need for any taxi service at all at the airport as every single passenger would just wander into their waiting VIP carriage and be whisked away.

There's plenty of independent travellers flying in which then go look for accommodation, so the idea of an hourly bus service to Patong would be handy for them. That's setting aside the people that actually live in Patong seeing the bus service as being a good new link to and fro the airport. Blah blah.

I doubt that the bus will run empty due to a lack of demand.

Not all decisions in life are made logically, not everybody has accommodation booked already, etc.

Edited by stevenl

Exactly.....

Eh?......that being the case then there would be no need for any taxi service at all at the airport as every single passenger would just wander into their waiting VIP carriage and be whisked away.

There's plenty of independent travellers flying in which then go look for accommodation, so the idea of an hourly bus service to Patong would be handy for them. That's setting aside the people that actually live in Patong seeing the bus service as being a good new link to and fro the airport. Blah blah.

I doubt that the bus will run empty due to a lack of demand.

People just honestly prefer the convenience of taxis

Exactly.....

+1

This is too little, too late.

If it's only one 24-seat bus every hour and limited to Patong, it's a joke. This is only a gesture to do something about all the negative transportation press Phuket gets. Even though, I predict there will aggressive resistance and attempts to disrupt the service as allowing to work will be seen as giving an unwanted inch. You know the old saying, "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile."

I wonder who they're going to convince to be the driver. Would you do it?

I certainly would not do it, but someone no doubt will and the will be putting unsuspecting tourists in harms way. This can't be right.

There will be smiles & cameras all round for the first few days, then the local mafia will start!

Lets not forget that they will be dropping off ad Banzaan market! Are they joking me?? this will be more of a sh!tfight than it is already! The road from the hospital to the market isnt finished & the whole are floods when it rains. I will sit at Starbucks and watch the show!

Edited by eezergood