Respect rights of car owners, Thailand's DSI told

webfact

Respect rights of car owners, DSI told
The Nation

30208092-01_big.JPG?1370995204198

BANGKOK: -- Justice Minister Pracha Promnok has instructed the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to help people when they're called on to submit luxury cars for inspection.

The DSI is now checking expensive cars that have been registered as reassembled in Thailand on suspicion some may have been falsely registered in a bid to avoid tax. Tax evasion involving luxury cars is believed to have cost the country over Bt20 billion. DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said yesterday Pracha had instructed the DSI to take consumers' rights into account - by arranging acceptable appointments and announcing clear guidelines for car inspections.

On Monday, the DSI announced a list of people required to bring their cars in for inspection. The list involved 488 vehicles.

"The inspections will start on June 24," Tarit said.

Before that, the DSI would first examine six luxury cars burnt out recently on a trailer. The fire drew attention to schemes involving tax-evasion on vehicles.

No one has stepped forward to claim ownership of the six luxury cars burnt in Nakhon Ratchasima, raising doubts about their status. More than 100 luxury cars already impounded will be checked next week.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-12

The question of whether or not the DSI is a non political entity will be known is short order. If Chalerm's name appears on the list with his pink Bentley,and he is investigated to the same standards as everyone else, then I will believe the DSI is an actual investigative unit. If Chalerm's name is not on the list, we will then know it is simply being used as a tool by those in power...

• Like 1

Word of the day: Plutocracy

Plutocracy, also known as plutonomy or plutarchy, is rule by the wealthy. Its first known use was in 1652. Unlike systems such as democracy or anarchism, plutocracy is not rooted in an established political philosophy and has no formal advocates. The concept of plutocracy may be advocated by the wealthy classes of a society in an indirect or surreptitious fashion, though the term itself is almost always used in a pejorative sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutocracy

The question of whether or not the DSI is a non political entity will be known is short order. If Chalerm's name appears on the list with his pink Bentley,and he is investigated to the same standards as everyone else, then I will believe the DSI is an actual investigative unit. If Chalerm's name is not on the list, we will then know it is simply being used as a tool by those in power...

How do you know that Chalerm has not paid the appropriate tax on his vehicles through the correct import channels? and it was listed as locally re-assembled.?

Most of the cars got their engines in flames....... Very strange. Why would some cars on a trailer have fire starting at the engine (at the same time). For me it looks more an insurance scam which suddenly draw attention now from Customs side. It is nonsense to say these kinds of cars can only run idle on eventual gas installation fitted. NGV / LPG generates better efficiency then petrol and with installation fitted you can turn the engine up to as much rev. as wished (for e.g. emission testing).

How do you know that Chalerm has not paid the appropriate tax on his vehicles through the correct import channels? and it was listed as locally re-assembled.?

DOH! Isn't that what an investigation is for?

If you read the article, his post and my response you will see how you have jumped the gun a little on your post. Or i can break it down for you simply.

He is stating that if Chalerm is not on the list to be investigated it shows the DSI is political, and vice versa- i said perhaps he may not be on the list because his vehicles have be purchased through the correct channels or have not been filed as locally re-assembled which is what they are investigating.

Has that cleared it up for you?

If you read the article, his post and my response you will see how you have jumped the gun a little on your post. Or i can break it down for you simply.

He is stating that if Chalerm is not on the list to be investigated it shows the DSI is political, and vice versa- i said perhaps he may not be on the list because his vehicles have be purchased through the correct channels or have not been filed as locally re-assembled which is what they are investigating.

Only that you have comprehension problems. His statement was, abbreviated and emphasised for clarity, "If Chalerm's name appears on the list.........."

Amendment - it would also be wise to investigate those vehicles NOT on the list to remove the perception of manipulation and political bias.

Edited by OzMick

Only that you have comprehension problems. His statement was, abbreviated and emphasised for clarity, "If Chalerm's name appears on the list.........."

Dont be a wally- read the whole thing.

He has quite clearly given a choice of Chalerm's name being on the list or not on the list. "If Chalerm's name is not on the list, we will then know it is simply being used as a tool by those in power..."

Could it not be that he is not on the list as his vehicles are not locally re-assembled or they have been bought through properly and appropiate taxes paid?

Word of the day: Plutocracy

<snip> Unlike systems such as democracy or anarchism, plutocracy is not rooted in an established political philosophy and has no formal advocates. <snip>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plutocracy

Nice quote, apropos to the thread. I'd make a clarification, though - of course there is a political philosophy and a formal advocacy group - this would be true the world over.

For example, in the US, the Group is Wall Street and industry lobbying groups, who bought both US political parties, and thus own the Legislative Branch & its power to write the laws of the land; no presidential candidate gets in the race without being vetted by the Party, so they also own the Executive Branch. Obviously, their philosophy is "we know what's best for the country (world?), and how just is it that this wisdom also makes us richer than 99% of mere mortal citizens!"

Senior policemen, senior members of the armed forces and politicians. You think a yes man like Tarit is going to risk offending them? This is all a show and will blow over in a few months. People here tend to forget easily.

Regarding the article's "DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said yesterday Pracha had instructed the DSI to take consumers' rights into account - by arranging acceptable appointments and announcing clear guidelines for car inspections."

Maybe Pracha should also instruct the police to start "arranging acceptable appointments" instead of unannounced arrests and seizures of drug dealers, drug stashes, bank robbers, murderers, terrorists, etc.

Senior policemen, senior members of the armed forces and politicians. You think a yes man like Tarit is going to risk offending them? This is all a show and will blow over in a few months. People here tend to forget easily.

Unfortunately you are probably right...and all the folks with the over Bt4M cars will probably have a car rally from Bangkok to Pattaya on a Saturday to celebrate.