Certificate of residency from immigration

macanello

Hi

Just went to the Chaengwattana Immigration office in order to get a certificate of residency letter, which I need in order to register my new 250CBR.

I was told that it would take 3 weeks???????????????

Does anyone know any other way to get this letter in a shorter time

Thanks

Macanello

Unfortunately I am on a student visa so no work permit.Funny thing is I sold my old bike with the green book included. It has my address on their official green book but you still need a letter Crazy???

The letter from the British Embassy costs 2000 baht and takes 3 days.

I have been told the letter from Chaengwattana is free

Macanello

Did you insist that the letter of residence was free ??

Maybe they said pay 500 baht but you insisted it was free so they say come back in 3 weeks

Pay the asked for fee and have the letter in 30 mins

That's how it works in Pattaya... Chaengwattana Immigration maybe different.

No No money was discussed. Just told the process takes 3 weeks. In fairness the garage where I bought my bike told me it would take 3 weeks.Just need to know if anyone has got a letter from chaengwattana recently and what hoops need to be jumped through

Thanks

macanello

It is the same for every immigration office in the whole country.

500 baht and you will get it immediately.

If they told you three weeks, they probably misunderstood and are talking about something else.

It should be issued on the same day, unless things have changed. Not sure about Chaeng Wattana, but I know people were having trouble getting letters from Nonthaburi Immigration. Be sure to ask for "nang soo rub rong tee yoo". Best of luck.

• Like 1

No No money was discussed. Just told the process takes 3 weeks. In fairness the garage where I bought my bike told me it would take 3 weeks.Just need to know if anyone has got a letter from chaengwattana recently and what hoops need to be jumped through

Thanks

macanello

Something doesn't sound right...just picked up two (had to renew my driving licences) the other day...Bht500 for the two (Samui) and done in one hour.

Am I right to think that getting them from immigration requires a non-immigrant visa, but from the embassy only requires some proof of address such as a utility bill or bank statement sent to your address in Thailand?

Am I right to think that getting them from immigration requires a non-immigrant visa, but from the embassy only requires some proof of address such as a utility bill or bank statement sent to your address in Thailand?

I dont know about other embassies or consulates but at the US consulate in ChiangMai I have bought 3 or 4 of these already.

They do not require any proof of anything at all except your passport.

Then you swear to live where you claim & they stamp the form & charge you $50 USD or a little more if paying by Baht

• Like 1

Ok everyone a quick update.

The woman who dealt with my case really didn't have a clue what was she doing so it took a lot longer than normal i would think.

I finally got what I wanted after 5 hours of waiting.

First of all if you go to Chaengwattana and enter the room where you ask for the form you need to fill in --------- Well they don't keep them there. I was told to proceed to get a ticket and go to J2 where they deal with this matter. There you have to explain that you need the certificate of residence form in order to get a driving license (I need it for changing a green book name and address but believe me just tell them you need it for a driving license, you will be treated a lot faster.

You will need

1, the receipt for car or motorcycle bought

2, the copy of green book of new vehicle if buying a second hand copy of old green book

3, copy of passport all pages with visa stamps plus photo page

4, copy of your 90 day report,

5, a utility bill not older than one month

6, telephone number

After the formalities it costs 200 baht for the certificate and it is mailed directly to your address within 21 days.

In the end I got what I wanted even if it will take 21 days.

PS I was told originally to go to my Embassy and get a letter from them, but I persuaded the lady to process my documents

So really Chaengwattana does not like to do this service for farang and I see them withdrawing this letter in the near future

Cheers

Macanello

Ok everyone a quick update.

The woman who dealt with my case really didn't have a clue what was she doing so it took a lot longer than normal i would think.

I finally got what I wanted after 5 hours of waiting.

First of all if you go to Chaengwattana and enter the room where you ask for the form you need to fill in --------- Well they don't keep them there. I was told to proceed to get a ticket and go to J2 where they deal with this matter. There you have to explain that you need the certificate of residence form in order to get a driving license (I need it for changing a green book name and address but believe me just tell them you need it for a driving license, you will be treated a lot faster.

You will need

1, the receipt for car or motorcycle bought

2, the copy of green book of new vehicle if buying a second hand copy of old green book

3, copy of passport all pages with visa stamps plus photo page

4, copy of your 90 day report,

5, a utility bill not older than one month

6, telephone number

After the formalities it costs 200 baht for the certificate and it is mailed directly to your address within 21 days.

In the end I got what I wanted even if it will take 21 days.

PS I was told originally to go to my Embassy and get a letter from them, but I persuaded the lady to process my documents

So really Chaengwattana does not like to do this service for farang and I see them withdrawing this letter in the near future

Cheers

Macanello

I do not think it is a matter of liking to do it for a farang or not it just adds to there work load. As mentioned earlier the immigration office in Chiang Mai grew tired of people complaining about the 500baht fee and decided they didn't need the extra work load, now the complainers aand us non-complainers get to pay 50 dollars at the consulate and that is if you have a consulate locally

Chiang Mai Immigration is issuing Certificate of Residency....Went in monday and officer asked me to come back on tuesday at 11am....my wife picked it up on tuesday without any problems...did pay 500 baht...needed it to get yellow book...

Did you insist that the letter of residence was free ??

Maybe they said pay 500 baht but you insisted it was free so they say come back in 3 weeks

Pay the asked for fee and have the letter in 30 mins

That's how it works in Pattaya... Chaengwattana Immigration maybe different.

Works that way everywhere, but is improving. 30 years ago, a Thai passport had two fees, one for processing and one for speeding up - your choice - one week service or 6 month delay. Now the passport process is computerized - only the application fee and it arrives in a week.

Chiang Mai Immigration is issuing Certificate of Residency....Went in monday and officer asked me to come back on tuesday at 11am....my wife picked it up on tuesday without any problems...did pay 500 baht...needed it to get yellow book...

Yes they are issuing them again .What time did you go in monday and what documents did they ask for ? One or two photos ?

This is going slightly off topic from immigration to embassy - I am wondering about the requirements of the UK embassy for the same thing - letter of residency. I posted and saw replies about it a few months ago in another thread and can't find it ..... I know it's more expensive, but I recall seeing somewhere that a letter sent to your address such as a utility bill or bank statement & your passport was what they wanted - can anyone verify?

Edited by GooEng

• 1 month later...

Did it (in rather 007 style) a couple of days ago after reading this thread:

1. Counter J2 at 0900 hours
  2. Plenty of big smiles and wai's to the authorities wai2.gif
  3. Pidgin Thai language mode: on
  4. Application form fill out in my best handwriting
  5. Copies of passport data page, non-imm visa, last entry stamp, departure card, and last 1 year extension. (no copy of 90 day report required as i don't have one yet)
  6. Utility bill (True internet)
  7. 200 baht

Mission accomplished: just gotta wait 21 days for them to send it to me clap2.gif . But should it not arrive, i have a nice little token with which i can redeem it from counter J1.

Much better than my rip off government: 2000+ baht

Doesn't it seem morally wrong for them to make money from serving their own citizens (or have i just made a silly joke bah.gif)

All the hard work was rewarded with beer at Nana and Indian food, before falling asleep on the way home in the taxi, to be in the bad books with the missus!

Quality day!

• Like 2

Mission accomplished: just gotta wait 21 days for them to send it to me clap2.gif . But should it not arrive, i have a nice little token with which i can redeem it from counter J1.

Much better than my rip off government: 2000+ baht

Doesn't it seem morally wrong for them to make money from serving their own citizens (or have i just made a silly joke bah.gif)

All the hard work was rewarded with beer at Nana and Indian food, before falling asleep on the way home in the taxi, to be in the bad books with the missus!

Quality day!

21 days eh? Wow what district is that?

Better though than none at all like CM was doing for awhile

Yes that was a silly joke about governments making money off us :)

BTW you know the one from the consulates dont expire or have at least a year that they are valid

but the immigration ones are only good for 30 days so use it quickly

Odd that....I mean why would one be worth more time than the other?

• 3 months later...

FWIW I just did this in Chiang Mai. Apply in the morning, pick up one week later in the afternoon, no fee. It's free! Also pretty much no wait because there's a dedicated counter and everyone just hands over / picks up their documents.

Need rental contract, passport, photos & copies which I always just do right there in the shop in the back, and fill out the form.

I am glad they're once again doing it because I'd have to fly to BKK to deal with my embassy, and pay nearly 2,000 baht, and wait in line.

If anyone is interested Sumet is correct about Nonthaburi Immigration not issuing certificate of residency. This has been the case since a new manager took over there around a year ago and issued this instruction. His reason as told to me by one of the staff was that farang cause trouble in Thailand. This episode quickly prompted me to update my Yellow House Book with my new address so I don`t have to pay the exorbitant fees the UK embassy charge.

• 3 months later...

Went to Chiang Mai immigration today to do the certificate of residency for license renewal. Separate counter in the back of immigration, but they had a sign up saying it is no longer providing the service, sorry for the inconvenience. Check back next month... Asked the guy in the room eating his lunch... he said try on the 11th. Seemed uninterested to help and pulled a random date up. I'll check back beginning of the month and see what he or someone there says.
The cert of residency is a PITA... I guess worse case is I get corn holed by my govt and pay the $50 for it.

Edited by Nowisee

If anyone is interested Sumet is correct about Nonthaburi Immigration not issuing certificate of residency. This has been the case since a new manager took over there around a year ago and issued this instruction. His reason as told to me by one of the staff was that farang cause trouble in Thailand.

Another example of discretionary power at your services in thailand.

Foreigners cause trouble but their money is worthless.