Walen School of Dance in Chiang Mai

MacWalen

Hello everybody,

Do you like or even love dancing? I do! I believe there are others who do too. You might like to know that the Walen School is opening a dance school at our second Chiang Mai branch @Curve. I think we need about 3 months to finish all the work. Although we aim mainly at the Thai market I am sure there will be quite a few foreigners wanting to learn dancing as well. I also believe it will be a great way to meet many new people, learn new steps and for some of us, like myself, to lose some weight too. We warmly encourage male students to join as well as dance schools usually have much greater number of female students and it would be perfect if we could have a similar percentage of both sexes. It will also be a great opportunity to practice your Thai.

If you are a dance teacher let me know, I may have a job for you. I am also looking for a proper gymnast to teach younger guys street/break dancing, it looks very embracing when some attempt certain routines and cannot do it because of lack of proper gymnastic training. It should be a lot of fun. Courses will be very affordable so money will not be a barrier in joining.

Music could be better in this video but that gives you an idea what our street dancers might learn.

Walen School of Dance - set your feet on fire!

Edited by MacWalen
  • Like 1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snake oil next?

You keep mentioning this snake oil. Not sure what is the meaning. This will be a legitimate dance school. Students will be able to try for free also, no need to pay if you do not like it. Perhaps you may want to join.

cheesy.gif , gawd, what next to earn a few baht. Aaaaaaaaaaah, snake wrestling. coffee1.gif

I'm actually rich enough. I do this project because I like it. It will not be a great money maker but could be as it may become the most popular dance school in Chiang Mai. I have a gift for making things grow. Very simple strategy. Make customers happy and they will do all the advertising for you. Transam, how about you, do you like dancing? I would love to see your steps.

cheesy.gif , gawd, what next to earn a few baht. Aaaaaaaaaaah, snake wrestling. coffee1.gif

I'm actually rich enough. I do this project because I like it. It will not be a great money maker but could be as it may become the most popular dance school in Chiang Mai. I have a gift for making things grow. Very simple strategy. Make customers happy and they will do all the advertising for you. Transam, how about you, do you like dancing? I would love to see your steps.

You might be surprised, and surprised about my singing ability, BUT, lets not go there eh. laugh.png

Will it the dance school come with an ED-visa?

Spare me the thought of farangs foxtrotting and quickstepping into immigration.biggrin.png

What about those waltzing in for their 90 day reports, ignoring the queue.....

• Like 2

Don't see the point to rag on this. I will admit that all the walen posts/ads are a bit annoying, but I'm not forced to buy their product, use their services, or even read their threads. There is a market for expats wanting to learn dance, you can see that on salsa dance nights at second floor. Filling a need etc etc, if their services were truly horrid, they wouldn't still be in business. I am serious about the swing, if they offer it, I'll try it out, if it's enjoyable, they'll get my money.

• Like 1

Pogoing was my forte. But that was a long time ago.....

I am sure they do pogo as well, assuming by the current project diversification rate!

Edited by Morakot

Don't see the point to rag on this. I will admit that all the walen posts/ads are a bit annoying, but I'm not forced to buy their product, use their services, or even read their threads. There is a market for expats wanting to learn dance, you can see that on salsa dance nights at second floor. Filling a need etc etc, if their services were truly horrid, they wouldn't still be in business. I am serious about the swing, if they offer it, I'll try it out, if it's enjoyable, they'll get my money.

Very kind comment. Thank you. We will do our best to make sure it is enjoyable. That is the whole point of the dance school.

Will there be a Bangkok branch of this Dance School in the future? Or will we be able to take advantage of an event package consisting of a short course combined with a trip to Chiang Mai?

Edited by Morakot

Will there be a Bangkok branch of this Dance School in the future? Or will we be able to take advantage of an event package consisting of a short course combined with a trip to Chiang Mai?

That is a possibility for sure. I see why not. Also learning traditional Thai dancing would be fun as a part of the course. These are early stages I'm getting a lot of positive feedback.

The main problem with taking dance classes in Chiang Mai is the dearth of places to go dance.

I grew up about 2 miles down the road from Gilley's, the country/western bar made famous in the movie Urban Cowboy that stared John Travolta. It had a dance floor that was about the size of the ground floor of Pantip Plaza ... and that did not count the surrounding seating and bar areas. On any given night, there were hundreds of people there dancing to live bands. As I got older, I got seriously into dancing (East and West Coast Swing/Ballroom/etc.). I was generally out dancing 5 or 6 nights a week, seldom in the same club two nights in a row and sometimes two different clubs on the same night.

The point being that Chiang Mai does not have a culture that supports dance venues at least as far as I have been able to find out. There are a few more venues for dancing in BKK, though not many, and it is a long journey for a night out dancing.

From my perspective, taking dance classes in CM is, as we say back in Texas, "about as useful as t*ts on a boar hog."

Just my thoughts on it.

David

I learned a long time ago that when a restaurant has a large menu, the quality declines. Now you are a language school. Now a dancing school. What's next, a phad thai school?

Just saying....... This is not an attack, mainly just an observation. Stick to what you are great at: language training.

I learned a long time ago that when a restaurant has a large menu, the quality declines. Now you are a language school. Now a dancing school. What's next, a phad thai school?

Just saying....... This is not an attack, mainly just an observation. Stick to what you are great at: language training.

Walen is not trying to do too much. Dance school is mostly about finding the right people to teach and organising it well. I believe I can do both quite well. Thank you for joining the thread.

Will it the dance school come with an ED-visa?

Spare me the thought of farangs foxtrotting and quickstepping into immigration.biggrin.png

What about those waltzing in for their 90 day reports, ignoring the queue.....

In two's even!

Many that go to immigration.......

........seem to find

The happiness they seek

When they're out together

Dancing cheek to cheek