2 years overstay

OP, the message and question were understood: maximum fine is THB 20,000.....even after 2 years.

As a bonus you know now how other farangs and a few Thais think about overstaying.

whistling.gif

yes 2yrs overstay should get 2yrs in the slammer,i bet you wont do it again.

If you can't pay an overstay fine, then you do get to spend time in the slammer where you are credited with (I believe) 200 baht for each day you're in IDC. (One of the IDC experts perhaps could confirm this.) Then you get to stay even longer while you and your family scrap together enough money to pay for your return ticket to your home country. No quick border runs and stamp back in for those guys!

The "upside" is that judges usually reduce the amount of the 20,000 baht fine, while immigration agents at the borders don't reduce the max fine if you simply pay as you leave voluntarily.

From immigration act of 1979.

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both.

As you see the immigration act is 34 years old and very outdated.

The low maximum fine is the reason many people that cannot just make a border run for 15 days and must return home for a visa overstay because the fine is lower than the flight home and back.

There are many other clauses (IE: 90 day reports) that are outdated and need to be eliminated or changed.

If the fine was 100,000 baht how many people do you think would overstay.

2 Years, Ha

We had a seven year overstay up here in Chiang Mai.

Same thing went to airport with 20,000 in cash and sorted no problem.

He came back couple of months later with no problem

R

Overstay 2 years, ha....

Do you think it is funny that you can pay 20,000 Baht and then bullshit your way around the rules???

You should have been Blacklisted....Deported....and not allowed to return.!!!

You obviously have nothing substantial to offer to this country or its people....

Those of us who choose to live here and live by the rules are absolutely disgusted by your kind, with your total lack of respect for the Thai Immigration laws

( however crazy they may be )

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. The rules are disgusting, inconsistently and sporatically applied, and are misused by every Immigration Officer.

If a person can get by without reporting - all the power to them.

Yes this may seem inconsistent, as the US has millions of illegal immigrants, but there are just skating thru the holes in the law.

In both situations, immigration reform is badly needed.

Why are people so bothered about other strangers visa situations anyway? Bored? "The only farang in the village syndrome"?

As long as they spend their money within thailand & dont break any laws I dont really see the issue here.

I assume these same people are as vocal back in their homeland!

Why are people so bothered about other strangers visa situations anyway? Bored? "The only farang in the village syndrome"?

As long as they spend their money within thailand & dont break any laws I dont really see the issue here.

I assume these same people are as vocal back in their homeland!

& dont break any laws I dont really see the issue here.

Don't want to be pedantic but, immigration law is actually also a law smile.png

There was a guy named Abe, a Cornishman, who came here in the late 80's he came on a 15 day visa , and lived at Danie'ls Bar, now Marin bar on Loy Kroch, he was here for 15 years and someone took pity on him and paid his 20,000 baht fine, I heard he is now at the McKean center living there,and never returned to the UK.

There was a guy named Abe, a Cornishman, who came here in the late 80's he came on a 15 day visa , and lived at Danie'ls Bar, now Marin bar on Loy Kroch, he was here for 15 years and someone took pity on him and paid his 20,000 baht fine, I heard he is now at the McKean center living there,and never returned to the UK.

Can't say I blame this particular individual for not wanting to go back home since Cornwall is not exactly the humour centre of the Universe, based on my acquaintance with one of his "compatriots" who over the years has displayed a canny knack of keeping a straight face at even the funniest of jokessad.png

But he must surely have exited Thailand at some stage in order to pay the fine. And where is the McKean Centre to be found?

Can't say I blame this particular individual for not wanting to go back home since Cornwall is not exactly the humour centre of the Universe, based on my acquaintance with one of his "compatriots" who over the years has displayed a canny knack of keeping a straight face at even the funniest of jokes:(

But he must surely have exited Thailand at some stage in order to pay the fine. And where is the McKean Centre to be found?

You have obviously never been to Cornwall...

The immigration rules there are even stricter, overstay in Cornwall and they deport you to Thailand !

• Like 1

From immigration act of 1979.

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both.

As you see the immigration act is 34 years old and very outdated.

The low maximum fine is the reason many people that cannot just make a border run for 15 days and must return home for a visa overstay because the fine is lower than the flight home and back.

There are many other clauses (IE: 90 day reports) that are outdated and need to be eliminated or changed.

If the fine was 100,000 baht how many people do you think would overstay.

Think the overstay fine then was 100 baht/day.

20,000 would be 200 days, so at the current 500 baht/day 100,000 would get it back to the original rate.

2 Years, Ha

R

Overstay 2 years, ha....

Do you think it is funny that you can pay 20,000 Baht and then bullshit your way around the rules???

You obviously have nothing substantial to offer to this country or its people....

Those of us who choose to live here and live by the rules are absolutely disgusted by your kind, with your total lack of respect for the Thai Immigration laws

Wow aren't we angry! I wonder how you get through a day in Thailand?

• Like 1

2 Years, Ha

R

Chang or Leo no doubt.

Overstay 2 years, ha....

Wow aren't we angry! I wonder how you get through a day in Thailand?

Chang or Leo no doubt