Why shopowners use a calculator to know the sum of 3x20 baht ?

rubberduck

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just habit, or making sure there isn't a mistake in communicating with the foreigner, not because he can't add 100+76.

yeah you make the effort to come out with your best Thai and the guy has closed/angry face and point at the calculator

I usually just leave

A couple of years ago I was in a small supermarket, I had placed my purchases at the till desk when there was a huge flash and clap of thunder and the power went off. The cashier was nonplussed, managed to physically open the till and then went off to look for a calculator. I only had about half a dozen items. This store did not have 'barcode' tills and the cashier would rely on price stickers attached to the goods. Whilst she was away I added up my purchases (came to 178 Baht.)

When the cashier returned she realised the calculator had no batteries. I said to her (in Thai) that the total was 178baht, she wouldn't accept this, so I offered to write each item down so she could then calculate the total. No she insisted on the calculator and after much faffing around managed to find some batteries.

Armed with the calculator she totalled my purchases and announced that it was 178 baht. 'Told you so" I said.

Thing that amused me most was that there were a bunch of schoolkids also waiting to be served. They all had expressions like stunned mullets. The farang had actually totalled his purchases IN HIS HEAD.

• Like 2

maybe some of the shops have had so many brain dead farangs go ballistic and accuse them of cheating them so the calculator is their defense that the price is right?...perhaps the shop keeper has already calculated it in HIS head but has no confidence that the farang can calculate it in THEIR head?

how many farangs yell and scream about being cheated because THEY can't figure out a simple bill?

Your still in farangland you rascal. Come on, tell the truth. laugh.png
no I have been in Thailand long enough to have seen farangs go off on thai people way too much over trivial stuff or accuse them of trying to cheat them etc....I do agree that a LOT Of people are horrible at math in most every country I've been....an old boss of mine in USA who was an accounting major couldn't figure out 20% of 200 without using a calculator and when I would give him the answer before he could get out the calculator he refused to believe it until he saw the answer on the calculator....unfortunately I suspect that in the USA and probably other countries that the next generation depends on calculators and spell checkers to the point that they will be lost without them....

ok,

i often was confused at the same as the OP has asked.

the truth to the matter is that the thai's dont learn the times table,as well as the farang have leant it.

an easy way to find out is ask your lady what is 4x4 we know its 16, but watch how long it take for a thai to

find the answer.

there is in fact the answer to the question.

the times table.

Don't get me started on 'how many weeks in a year' again!

maybe some of the shops have had so many brain dead farangs go ballistic and accuse them of cheating them so the calculator is their defense that the price is right?...perhaps the shop keeper has already calculated it in HIS head but has no confidence that the farang can calculate it in THEIR head?

how many farangs yell and scream about being cheated because THEY can't figure out a simple bill?

Your still in farangland you rascal. Come on, tell the truth. laugh.png
no I have been in Thailand long enough to have seen farangs go off on thai people way too much over trivial stuff or accuse them of trying to cheat them etc....I do agree that a LOT Of people are horrible at math in most every country I've been....an old boss of mine in USA who was an accounting major couldn't figure out 20% of 200 without using a calculator and when I would give him the answer before he could get out the calculator he refused to believe it until he saw the answer on the calculator....unfortunately I suspect that in the USA and probably other countries that the next generation depends on calculators and spell checkers to the point that they will be lost without them....

Lucky them that they won't have to wrestle with chains, furlongs, rod,pole and perch. Imagine dealing with pounds, shillings and pence not to mention farthings. Just how did my generation manage?

P.S. I don't do metrication.

I was in a very small shop in a tiny village today. The shopkeeper told me how much the total was in Thai then disappeared to get the calculator to type the amount out. She was a bit shocked when I handed the exact money they had asked for as I'd looked it out while they were fumbling for the calculator.

So that tells me that many Thais don't think we can count in Thai and they are being polite and thoughtful by showing us the total on a calculator.

• Like 1

I was in a very small shop in a tiny village today. The shopkeeper told me how much the total was in Thai then disappeared to get the calculator to type the amount out. She was a bit shocked when I handed the exact money they had asked for as I'd looked it out while they were fumbling for the calculator. So that tells me that many Thais don't think we can count in Thai and they are being polite and thoughtful by showing us the total on a calculator.

They are just arrogant and understanding snobs then, is that what you try to say ?

I was in a very small shop in a tiny village today. The shopkeeper told me how much the total was in Thai then disappeared to get the calculator to type the amount out. She was a bit shocked when I handed the exact money they had asked for as I'd looked it out while they were fumbling for the calculator.

So that tells me that many Thais don't think we can count in Thai and they are being polite and thoughtful by showing us the total on a calculator.

That's how I see it also, just trying to be helpful.

Edited by highonthai
  • Like 1

I was in a very small shop in a tiny village today. The shopkeeper told me how much the total was in Thai then disappeared to get the calculator to type the amount out. She was a bit shocked when I handed the exact money they had asked for as I'd looked it out while they were fumbling for the calculator. So that tells me that many Thais don't think we can count in Thai and they are being polite and thoughtful by showing us the total on a calculator.

They are just arrogant and understanding snobs then, is that what you try to say ?

No I'm saying, not trying, that they are being polite and helpful. facepalm.gif

You are a funny man. Looks on the bright side of life !

My opinion, based on all the years in thailand, and i speak thai, is that the majority of people who work with a, sort of, cash register, are bad in maths. That is why they need the calculator. Once i had to pay 49 bth, gave 50 and........ yes.

In the last 5 years Thailand has come 5th, 5th, 5th, 7th and 6th in the International Maths Olympiad. In comparison last year Australia was 27th, The United Kingdom was 19th and the USA was 3rd with China 2nd and the Republic of Korea 1st.

In the last 5 years Thailand has come 5th, 5th, 5th, 7th and 6th in the International Maths Olympiad. In comparison last year Australia was 27th, The United Kingdom was 19th and the USA was 3rd with China 2nd and the Republic of Korea 1st.

All the competitors will be pursuing a career as cashier in the next decade, you forgot to mention !

You are a funny man. Looks on the bright side of life !

My opinion, based on all the years in thailand, and i speak thai, is that the majority of people who work with a, sort of, cash register, are bad in maths. That is why they need the calculator. Once i had to pay 49 bth, gave 50 and........ yes.

My experience today was that the lady calculated the total in her head, told me in Thai, then went to get a calculator to show me the total. Oh, and that's not the first time. It happens all the time in my local market. Luckily the vendors I use now know I understand what they are saying so they don't bother with the calculator any more.

If you would like to come along with me tomorrow you can feel free to tell them all that you think that they are thick. I'll not help you though when they do you in, but I am prepared to tell the police which part of the moat they dumped you in. coffee1.gif

I'm not saying I agree with those who think many shopkeepers simply can't do basic mental maths, but would like to point out that it really isn't possible to get to the truth statistically.

How the top math students in Thailand perform (expensive private even international schools, wealthy elite parents) in competition compared to other countries is also irrelevant to what comparing the averages across the student population would like like.

Much less so in talking about older shopkeepers, most of whom probably didn't even get too much quality schooling.

Edited by boosta

@ the blether

From your 3 posts i conclude a couple of things.

1) you cannot speak thai

2) you are a non thai speaking grass

3) you need company because you want to prove that you are right and even want me to go along with you. I will PM you with namedetails etc so you can book a flightticket for me and tuesday we will go to the market.

Kapom !

All the competitors will be pursuing a career as cashier in the next decade, you forgot to mention !

I like to sprinkle a few facts amongst the general derision...

It's just habit, or making sure there isn't a mistake in communicating with the foreigner, not because he can't add 100+76.

generally true.. if you watch most Thai's closely, they don't actually punch in, X + X + X.. they simply punch into the calc the total amount you have to pay them... they'll auto assume you don't speak/understand Thai so the easiest for them is to show you a 'picture' of the total sum owed.

had to smile a couple of weeks ago though - bought 3 small cans of leo beer at 30 baht each from a small village shop i hardly use. Smart, intelligent looking young girl behind the counter immediately whips out the calc. Ok, i thinks.. she don't know me, so she's gonna assume i'm a buffalo & type into the device '90'. None of it... i watched her type, 30 + 30 + 30 = 90!

i was astounded.

• Like 2

generally true.. if you watch most Thai's closely, they don't actually punch in, X + X + X.. they simply punch into the calc the total amount you have to pay them... they'll auto assume you don't speak/understand Thai so the easiest for them is to show you a 'picture' of the total sum owed. had to smile a couple of weeks ago though - bought 3 small cans of leo beer at 30 baht each from a small village shop i hardly use. Smart, intelligent looking young girl behind the counter immediately whips out the calc. Ok, i thinks.. she don't know me, so she's gonna assume i'm a buffalo & type into the device '90'. None of it... i watched her type, 30 + 30 + 30 = 90! i was astounded.

Was she a blonde ?

generally true.. if you watch most Thai's closely, they don't actually punch in, X + X + X.. they simply punch into the calc the total amount you have to pay them... they'll auto assume you don't speak/understand Thai so the easiest for them is to show you a 'picture' of the total sum owed. had to smile a couple of weeks ago though - bought 3 small cans of leo beer at 30 baht each from a small village shop i hardly use. Smart, intelligent looking young girl behind the counter immediately whips out the calc. Ok, i thinks.. she don't know me, so she's gonna assume i'm a buffalo & type into the device '90'. None of it... i watched her type, 30 + 30 + 30 = 90! i was astounded.

Was she a blonde ?

yes! how did you know that?

Was she a blonde ?

Why should it not apply for THAI blondes, they are a rarity. This as Thailand is in top 7 of the mathscompetition. So exception of the rule. Not as far as blondes concerned though !

Was she a blonde ?

Why should it not apply for THAI blondes, they are a rarity. This as Thailand is in top 7 of the mathscompetition. So exception of the rule. Not as far as blondes concerned though !

i was being facetious... 'Thai blonde' is an oxymoron.. only exists in the beauty salon hair dye locker room.

she was actually the usual jet black.

generally true.. if you watch most Thai's closely, they don't actually punch in, X + X + X.. they simply punch into the calc the total amount you have to pay them... they'll auto assume you don't speak/understand Thai so the easiest for them is to show you a 'picture' of the total sum owed.

had to smile a couple of weeks ago though - bought 3 small cans of leo beer at 30 baht each from a small village shop i hardly use. Smart, intelligent looking young girl behind the counter immediately whips out the calc. Ok, i thinks.. she don't know me, so she's gonna assume i'm a buffalo & type into the device '90'. None of it... i watched her type, 30 + 30 + 30 = 90!

i was astounded.

Show her how 30 x 3 also equals 90, and see if she's confused. :)

Try to notice if the shop keepers do this with Thai customers; I bet they don't.

I thought it was because their maths skills were so terrible, but now I believe it's because it's easier and clearer. They're going to assume that you can't speak or understand Thai, and they can't speak English, so this is a sure-fire way to let you know the total of your purchase without question or confusion. <snip>

Exactly. It is to help the dumb farang who can't speak Thai. tongue.png

I often say to them the amount in Thai to confirm it, and that usually makes them smile. biggrin.png