Why shopowners use a calculator to know the sum of 3x20 baht ?

rubberduck

It keeps amazing me, especially in little village shops it's almost everywhere. You buy a few simple items of a total less then 100b, few beers or noodles or crisps or chocolat or whatever sometimes as easy as 3 times 20 baht and they need a calculator to find out it's totally 60 baht. I wonder if it is a deep rooted habit of (lazyness?) systematically refuse activating the brain as not unknown here. But <deleted> for 3x20b you don't even NEED brains, and that's the part I really don't get. Or is it more easy to let the calculator be responsible ? But even when using a calculator they often manage to make errors, and not especially for their own benefit... What is this weird phenomenon ? I mean if one runs a business he does have to be, a very little bit good at figures, because it's your daily rice ? Nothing really matters, as it seems, does it ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does any shop in the world use an electric till with digital display ?

Surely it could be all added up in the cashiers head!

Hope this isn't going to be a 'have a go at the Thai's thread'

coffee1.gif

well known fact Thais and maths aren't good but you can keep apologising for them here, they'll love you right up to the moment they have milked you dry and kicked you out with a nice smile.whistling.gif

• Like 2

Most of the shops I go to the proprietor uses their abacus thingie, much faster than any calculator.

But the 3x20 thing is more for fail-safe communications with the customer, or possibly pure habit.

It is not true that most Thai shopkeepers are bad at maths, not at all.

Because if they are "short" money in the "till" at the end of the day, it comes out of their paycheck. Better be safe than sorry.

That is often the case from what I understand plus the fact it is often easier for them to show you how much the total cost is than to try and say it in English.

• Like 1

Try working in a workplace where you are adding up, subtracting, multiplying and dividing numbers for hours and hours. By the end of the day, your brain turns to mash, and even simple calculations can hit a road block.

Best way to ensure you have the correct total is to add up in your head, and use a calculator to confirm the numbers.

even when no calculation is needed?

• Like 1

Try to notice if the shop keepers do this with Thai customers; I bet they don't.

I thought it was because their maths skills were so terrible, but now I believe it's because it's easier and clearer. They're going to assume that you can't speak or understand Thai, and they can't speak English, so this is a sure-fire way to let you know the total of your purchase without question or confusion. BTW, I still think their maths skill are bad, but not so much that they can't handle 20+20+20.

There are farangs in the visa section of TV who cant add 90 days to their date of entry into Thailand and come up with their next reporting date at immigration...wink.png

To be fair, some months have different numbers in em and one month changes from time to time.

Try to notice if the shop keepers do this with Thai customers; I bet they don't.

I thought it was because their maths skills were so terrible, but now I believe it's because it's easier and clearer. They're going to assume that you can't speak or understand Thai, and they can't speak English, so this is a sure-fire way to let you know the total of your purchase without question or confusion. BTW, I still think their maths skill are bad, but not so much that they can't handle 20+20+20.

There are farangs in the visa section of TV who cant add 90 days to their date of entry into Thailand and come up with their next reporting date at immigration...wink.png

Hey, leave me out of this. bah.gif ............................laugh.png

Try to notice if the shop keepers do this with Thai customers; I bet they don't. I thought it was because their maths skills were so terrible, but now I believe it's because it's easier and clearer. They're going to assume that you can't speak or understand Thai, and they can't speak English, so this is a sure-fire way to let you know the total of your purchase without question or confusion. BTW, I still think their maths skill are bad, but not so much that they can't handle 20+20+20.

That is called: INTEGRATION !!!!

ok,

i often was confused at the same as the OP has asked.

the truth to the matter is that the thai's dont learn the times table,as well as the farang have leant it.

an easy way to find out is ask your lady what is 4x4 we know its 16, but watch how long it take for a thai to

find the answer.

there is in fact the answer to the question.

the times table.

ok,

i often was confused at the same as the OP has asked.

the truth to the matter is that the thai's dont learn the times table,as well as the farang have leant it.

an easy way to find out is ask your lady what is 4x4 we know its 16, but watch how long it take for a thai to

find the answer.

there is in fact the answer to the question.

the times table.

what about when they use them to negotiate?

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that compulsory learning of the mathematical times tables had been scrapped in the U.K. and there is talk of they're being re-introduced. I have seen Western children who appear to be heavily reliant on calculators.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that compulsory learning of the mathematical times tables had been scrapped in the U.K. and there is talk of they're being re-introduced. I have seen Western children who appear to be heavily reliant on calculators.

what a disgrace and some children can't even spell nowadays due to spellcheck

• Like 1

what a disgrace and some children can't even spell nowadays due to spellcheck

I'd be pleased if more contributors here used a spellchecker and software to check for grammatical errors. The statement offered that English is not my home language is a bleat. Nothing more. Take the easy opportunity to use the aids readily available and improve your knowledge and expertise in using a different language to that of your own. All it takes is a small effort. Who knows? You might even get some satisfaction and a boost to your self esteem. Of course an added bonus would be that your message stands a better chance of being understood by the readership.

Regard the OP`s question i was amazed too in the first years in Thailand then i thought it must be something with the way the boss threat the workers in case of missing money they need to pay for it at the end of the day ,so it just common sense they want to make sure the price and change is right...

maybe some of the shops have had so many brain dead farangs go ballistic and accuse them of cheating them so the calculator is their defense that the price is right?...perhaps the shop keeper has already calculated it in HIS head but has no confidence that the farang can calculate it in THEIR head?

how many farangs yell and scream about being cheated because THEY can't figure out a simple bill?

Edited by pomchop

maybe some of the shops have had so many brain dead farangs go ballistic and accuse them of cheating them so the calculator is their defense that the price is right?...perhaps the shop keeper has already calculated it in HIS head but has no confidence that the farang can calculate it in THEIR head?

how many farangs yell and scream about being cheated because THEY can't figure out a simple bill?

Your still in farangland you rascal. Come on, tell the truth. laugh.png

Especially bills in Thai