Internet speed in Koh Samui

Hi,

I'm planning to spend ~3 months in Thailand next year, somewhere near the beach. One thing that's absolutely crucial for me is high-speed internet, since I need to log into and work from a PC located in the US for about 10 hours a day. It is difficult to say what exact speed I would need, but something like 6 MBit/s for downloads would be good.

If I rent a condo or villa in Koh Samui, am I likely to find this kind of speed?

If a reader of this post is currently in Samui, could she or he do a speed test (e.g. http://www.speedtest.net/) and tell me the download speed they found, as well as what service they subscribe to?

Thanks for everyone's help!

Yoel

• Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of all the islands other than Phuket itself, Samui most likely to have reasonably fast and reliable connections, but that's not saying much, you're much better off on the mainland.

Note also that the power supply went out across the whole island for days at a time, a few times just in the past few months. Most reliable and highest speeds, widest number of provider choices are of course in and near Bangkok.

I've got friends working online who set up connections from multiple providers to protect against blackouts, but someplace like Samui probably has shared fibre links to the mainland.

Actual speeds will greatly vary depending on the time of day, middle of the night and while kids are in school usually best. Just as an indicator, when I download 8GB movies on my nominal 3MB connection in BKK, it can take 6-12 hours leaving it going overnight. I've been very happy in every way with True as an ISP, that's with over twelve years experience, back when they were Asia Infonet.

You will want your own dedicated wired connection rather than relying on a shared condo setup or hotel wi-fi. This will be a bit of challenge for such a short trip, but probably manageable, as long as you find a landlord that will allow it (more likely with a house than a flat, and your customers/employer realizes you'll have limited access for the first week or two while you're getting set up - in Bangkok 3-4 days is the norm after signing up, may take longer in Samui depending on tourist arrivals during that timeframe.

• Like 1

How much does that fiber cost you?

Bht1500 per month

2768620904.png

Wow, that's better than what I have in Germany rolleyes.gif

Can I ask how you access this service? What I mean is: Is this a private home? Is it WiFi or LAN cable?

Yeah is in my home and is on WiFi

this test is against a server in Bangkok, can you please test against a server in Holland or Germany for me?

(I will be back on Samui soon and have fiber2u, but I had massive problems with the connection to Europe, so was thinking to change to 3BB)

this test is against a server in Bangkok, can you please test against a server in Holland or Germany for me?

(I will be back on Samui soon and have fiber2u, but I had massive problems with the connection to Europe, so was thinking to change to 3BB)

Frankfurt okay?

2768663275.png

@ Neilly

This is REALLY helpful! What is the exact name of the internet package you have? I want to tell the real estate brokers looking for a villa for me to limit it to those which have this service installed.

Alternatively, if I have to set this up myself: How long would it take after signing a contract to have it activated in a house in Samui?

Thanks!

@ Neilly

This is REALLY helpful! What is the exact name of the internet package you have? I want to tell the real estate brokers looking for a villa for me to limit it to those which have this service installed.

Alternatively, if I have to set this up myself: How long would it take after signing a contract to have it activated in a house in Samui?

Thanks!

It's meant to be the 12Mb package...but I normally get over 16Mb and over. We had to wait quite awhile to get this put in because they had to string the line...but if you're near a line in can be installed in a couple of days. Check in the office at Nathon and see what they say.

Frankfurt okay?

2768663275.png

Sorry to disappoint but that is ISP cached data results. Easy to tell by looking at a 15ms ping time which is not possible from Thailand to Europe.

Any other way of checking that isn't cached?

Do you know if other providers have similar packages?

Sorry if this question appears silly, but I've never had to deal with internet service in Thailand, and I want to tell the brokers to "find me houses with any of the following internet connections installed: ..."

Do you know if other providers have similar packages?

Sorry if this question appears silly, but I've never had to deal with internet service in Thailand, and I want to tell the brokers to "find me houses with any of the following internet connections installed: ..."

Just tell them you want one with a fibre optic line...pretty much guaranteed of getting good speed then

Oh, IC.. it's Mbits and not MBytes.

I'm using True cable 20/2 and would probably be getting around 20/2 in speed test also.

But upload speed of 3 Mb is something I'd rather like since I do upload a lot of stuff. Imma gonna have to give TOT a call tomorrow...

Bit off topic, but does anyone have any recommendations for any aircards? It will only be used for Skype, but I want it as strong as possible. Putting a personal line in isn't an option - I asked. I have Internet at the moment but it fluctuates between good and painful.

• Like 1

How much does that fiber cost you?

Bht1500 per month

That's the price for 20Mbps with TOT..

Checked the last bill this morning...says 12Mb wink.png

I was paying the same for 12. When the boss came to the house & did a speed check, looked at what I'm paying & upped it to 20 down & 3up & a 1000 Baht off the old bill.

So I suggest you go to the office & check what 1500+VAT gets you.

I was paying the same for 12. When the boss came to the house & did a speed check, looked at what I'm paying & upped it to 20 down & 3up & a 1000 Baht off the old bill.

I am getting 20 down and 3 up according to speedtest...your getting the same for less Rooo?

I am getting 20 down and 3 up according to speedtest...your getting the same for less Rooo?

No I was getting less for the same price. In the original contract 1500+ was the price of 12, then they revised all the prices & that should be the price for 20.

Sorry for OT, but do anyone of you see a kind of connection dropping / slow loading of websites outside of TH? I see this happening to me from yesterday with 3BB in Big Buddha area.

BTW at 3BB you can have 13/1Mbit for 963THB/month. Not bad, mostly very good connection, have little problem only now..

No I was getting less for the same price. In the original contract 1500+ was the price of 12, then they revised all the prices & that should be the price for 20.

Think they have just up'd mine to 20 and not bothered changing the bill then...will stick to the old moto

sif.jpg

if_it_aint_broke_dont_fix_it_poster-p228

Hey,

one more question: A lot of properties in Samui have "ADSL" listed as the internet service. What kind of speed can I expect with that? I know that ADSL can provide up to 12MBit/s, but what speed is reasonable to expect? I'd be grateful to anyone sharing their experience.

Thanks!

Yoel