Internet speed in Koh Samui

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3143140729.png

I guess it depends what time of day you test to a fair degree. Sometimes my true 3g is faster than 3BB adsl. Sometimes it can't even load websites.

I tested my wifi connection for comparison. The first test gave a download readout of 4.45mb/s. I retested again immediately and got 9.98mb/s. A pretty significant difference. I would love to know what causes the fluctuations and how to fix it.

3143144297.png

also th mobile phone signal is crap on the iphone here. had bad on the 4s and on the 5. some areas i have to call back about 3 or 4 times when driving.

chaweng noi, banrak, near makro, not sure about the rest anoying. got better 3g signal thann phone signal.

You shouldn't be using your phone while driving. Posted Image

Who said I was driving could be a passenger

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Who said I was driving could be a passenger

You did. Posted Image

"when driving."

Does it matter my point is about the phone signal

When driving could mean when my driver is driving me but it doesn't

I do use mobile when driving to cut to the chase

So far I have not crashed whilst talking and god g a phone to my ear yet touch wood

My point is about the signal being crap

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hi, I'm moving house next week to near the Bangrak market on the airport road so might change my internet while I'm at it.

I'm currently on 3BB premier 3mb package at 1066B, the standard package was no good for me, I think it was FTP or something, was a long time back.

From reading this thread I take it TOT fibre is the way to go. Just wondering if it has all the bells and whistles that the premier package has for FTP and the other stuff thats blocked with standard packages?

Also is it twelve months contract for farangs and whats the installation and standard router costs?

What does it have for FTP that is blocked on standard packages? Can you tell me more about this please?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Would anyone have any more info on what ToT Fiber2u can offer speed wise when it comes to upload or download in the 3,000 - 6,000 baht range?

Also the 50/20 plan from 3BB: http://www.3bb.co.th/product/en/adsl/select.php?lang=en

Does anyone have any experiecne with speed capabilities in terms of download or upload from US/Canadian servers?

I mainly am looking to get a line set up that can hand continuous Dropbox syncing of 3 - 10mb files, Skype video calls, YouTube video uploads, picture uploads and some light torrenting (~ 1GB/day). If you have anything right now that can handle something similar please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

I know zip about fiber/fibre connections except that some 'cabinet' systems run the fibre cable to an area box and then copper wire it to your house.

If anyone could answer/explain I'd be dead happy.

as in:

1. ADSL is optimised for a max number of users per pipe. If I have fibre will others be sharing my line and bringing my connectivity down? - does the fiber work on the same principle?

2. Does TOT run the fibre cable to your house or to an area box/cabinet?

3. Will I need a dedicated modem/router as well? (Presumably . . .)

4. Will this fibre connection be in addition to the copper-wire voice/data connection to my house? (I assume so . . .)

5. What does the installation cost - modem/cable length etc

6. TOT is offering 10 Gb for 1,000B+ and 3BB is offering 30 Gb for 1,20B+. Is the 30Gb for real? What are the hidden costs?

Thanks in advance everybody (and Matt)!

R

Hi, I'm moving house next week to near the Bangrak market on the airport road so might change my internet while I'm at it.

I'm currently on 3BB premier 3mb package at 1066B, the standard package was no good for me, I think it was FTP or something, was a long time back.

From reading this thread I take it TOT fibre is the way to go. Just wondering if it has all the bells and whistles that the premier package has for FTP and the other stuff thats blocked with standard packages?

Also is it twelve months contract for farangs and whats the installation and standard router costs?

What does it have for FTP that is blocked on standard packages? Can you tell me more about this please?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I'm not sure exactly what it was, maybe port 25 like angryfarang says, but when I first got 3BB it didn't work on the standard package and somebody told me I needed the Premier package so I upgraded and it worked. I didn't ask them anything about port 25, I just upgraded the package.

fibre optic is supposed to not lose speed for connections that are far from the main road.

TOT is much cheaper than 3bb.

At one point i was paying 3500 baht per month. now i have faster conntaction for just 1000 baht.

If your connection is slow you might have allot of crap on your computer also which may sow stuff down which is not the internet's fault

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this test is against a server in Bangkok, can you please test against a server in Holland or Germany for me?

(I will be back on Samui soon and have fiber2u, but I had massive problems with the connection to Europe, so was thinking to change to 3BB)

Frankfurt okay?

2768663275.png

this result is due to caching, the 15ms ping is a physical impossibility to frankfurt.

My speed test results are,

Downloadspeed:1.787Mbps

Uploadspeed:0.837Mbps

I checked my internet speed test from ScanMySpeed.com

Is this good or not?

Just a heads up, had problems with TOT speed. Had the white router, paying for 20 Megs & was getting around 10 to 12.

After many futile attempts, they finally agreed to replace it with the black one called """ FibreHome """. Great speeds 20 + via Lan but don't build your hope up on WiFi.

After finally loosing it with the Bophut office, I asked them to send a real technician & not office staff. After spending over 2 hours trying to bridge it via my Linsky's they gave up.

I can't get a wifi signal from my desk to the IPTV module 5 meters away & the Wifi range / speed shocking.

He tried to tell me that my laptop has too many applications slowing the Wifi down, duh, I hardly have anything on it. & If that's the case why is my other laptop having the same difficulty ?

The only way is to use my Linksy's to boost the wifi signal.

He eventually admitted that the new boxes had a fundamental fault with the Wifi.

The wifi on those boxes are terrible.

Best ask them to put it in bridge mode and do everything from your Linksys,

They couldn't get the bridge mode to work, so I have a LAN to Linksy & that boosts the wifi.

Bridge mode on the TOT modems can only be set by an operator. It isn't something you can do within the modem.

You need to request this via the TOT office - they normally set bridge mode on Eth3 (you can tell when this is set as the wifi light goes off on the modem)

You then enter your TOT PPPoE connection details in to your Linksys and let it do the magic. :)

Bridge mode on the TOT modems can only be set by an operator. It isn't something you can do within the modem.

You need to request this via the TOT office - they normally set bridge mode on Eth3 (you can tell when this is set as the wifi light goes off on the modem)

You then enter your TOT PPPoE connection details in to your Linksys and let it do the magic. smile.png

Yes they came & tried all that for 2 hours + it didn't work.

• 2 months later...