Internet speed in Koh Samui

this test is against a server in Bangkok, can you please test against a server in Holland or Germany for me?

(I will be back on Samui soon and have fiber2u, but I had massive problems with the connection to Europe, so was thinking to change to 3BB)

Frankfurt okay?

2768663275.png

this result is due to caching, the 15ms ping is a physical impossibility to frankfurt.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this test is against a server in Bangkok, can you please test against a server in Holland or Germany for me?

(I will be back on Samui soon and have fiber2u, but I had massive problems with the connection to Europe, so was thinking to change to 3BB)

Frankfurt okay?

2768663275.png

this result is due to caching, the 15ms ping is a physical impossibility to frankfurt.

I'm sure notmyself has a 15ms connection to frankfurt... thumbsup.gif

I agree with PoorSucker.

You really need to be able to work locally on your machine, then upload (by VPN) your work/files to your office network/server. I couldn't image trying to use Word or Excel on a desktop PC via RDP on a 300ms connection. It's bad enough working on local servers here in Thailand at 60ms...

Impossible. Firm policy won't allow me to move things outside of the firm network. I can probably do 10% of my work locally and upload, but for most things I have to actually do them on the NY PC. I'll have to live with the 300ms. Again, from Germany I have 200ms, so it's "50% worse", whatever that means....

I'd like to come back to the MiFi question again, just in case I find that the connection in the house sucks (e.g. overloaded by other residents in the development, broken down after storm, or whatever):

thaismileconnect has a monthly 14GB package for 5,000 baht (incl. rental of the device), which is quite steep I think. Do you know any company which offers 15+GB (or ideally totally flat) monthly packages? And can a visiting farang sign up? Or do you need a Thai bank account?

One way of increasing potential overall throughput is via using two or more ISPs and a load balancing router. Obviously this will be more expensive as you will need to subscribe to two different ISPs plus the cost of a load balancing router or perhaps use link aggregation.

That's overkill, especially for 2-3 months.

I'd be happy having a decent LAN or WiFi connection, and then MiFi via 3G as a backup. So can I get some opinions about cost / "true" flat rates / possibility to get for farang w/o Thai bank account?

Nick - you've just posted your IP address of your unsecured TOT modem. I've just sent you a PM.

Thanks for the heads up, and subsequent explaination and advice for which I am very grateful. And thanks Roo for editing my Post.

• Like 1

Nick - you've just posted your IP address of your unsecured TOT modem. I've just sent you a PM.

Thanks for the heads up, and subsequent explaination and advice for which I am very grateful. And thanks Roo for editing my Post.

No problem Nick. wai2.gif

Ok, nobody is replying to my question about MiFi options ... I'll start a thread in another sub-forum, since this is no longer a Samui-specific question

I appreciate everyone's help regarding internet speed and latency.

For those interested, I was actually able to simulate a 2Mbps speed with a latency of 500ms on my remote desktop, using this: http://www.softperfect.com/products/connectionemulator/

The trial version only let's you simulate 30 seconds at a time, then you just click start again. Doing this a few times, I was able to try different applications on my PC in NY via rdp. A very cool tool, indeed! And very easy to use.

So, working with a 500ms latency isn't great at all, but it IS managable. A price to pay for being able to live a Thai life for a couple of months biggrin.png

Thanks everyone! wai2.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Would anyone have any more info on what ToT Fiber2u can offer speed wise when it comes to upload or download in the 3,000 - 6,000 baht range?

Also the 50/20 plan from 3BB: http://www.3bb.co.th/product/en/adsl/select.php?lang=en

Does anyone have any experiecne with speed capabilities in terms of download or upload from US/Canadian servers?

I mainly am looking to get a line set up that can hand continuous Dropbox syncing of 3 - 10mb files, Skype video calls, YouTube video uploads, picture uploads and some light torrenting (~ 1GB/day). If you have anything right now that can handle something similar please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, really glad to have found this thread!!!

I'm looking for a house to rent in Koh Samui or Koh Phangan for december 2013, january/14 but my main need is a decent internet connection for work (5mbps down / .5 up minimum - for good skype calls at least).

How should i proceed? Any brokers with internet knowledge?

Which Internet Providers would you recommend for Koh Samui or Koh Phangan?

I'd rent a place with fibre/ADSL but might also get an usb-stick for wireless if wired fails.

thanks

• 3 months later...

I am really considering the move the Koh Samui, for longer term stay (around 5 years) .. I trade bond futures for a living so good internet is paramount, even minutes of down time can be detrimental.

Realistically how often does power and internet go out ? Interested in hearing from those heavy users that are living on the island.

I am in Pattaya at the moment, and internet is fine, even if there is a hiccup (maybe once a month for a few minutes) I just use 3G and teether the net through my iphone... im guess things will only get better in the future with 4g etc, but curious how things are now

If internet is paramount then ......

Live near the IT centre in Lamai - they seem to have the best up-time.

Get TOT fibre optic installed. Pretty reliable.

Then install 3bb. Used to be reliable - not so sure now.

Then buy an AIS MIFI. Very reliable apart from re-setting itself now and again.

One of them will always work! But.....

We are on an island here. When things go wrong - it can be for a while.

My experience is based on living out of the main flow of things. Lovely quiet area but less than perfect infrastructure. Stay near a busy area and you will do better.

• Like 2

Then install 3bb. Used to be reliable - not so sure now.

Aye, 590 a month for their basic package which most people (Thai seem to have). My 3bb goes out for maybe a minute or 2 one a week or once a fortnight. Power outages are another matter but if the router is connected to a UPS then I understand it usually carries on regardless as it is UPS served at the other end of the line.

I've always found 3bb's boast of "high speed" internet to be very much a case of being "their opinion."

For example, i use their wifi at my home and its really good and decent value for money. However, their offerings to my office is nothing short of dreadful. some days, such as today i could relax and enjoy a poolside cappuccino in the time it takes to change a page. I've had every excuse from too mutt lain, too hot, too cold, i've given up and am accepting the little service i get as a bonus

Like most things here, if you are lucky its quite ok, maybe good, and if you are unlucky you are knee deep in it with no one being prepared to stand up, hold themselves accountable and, fix the problem to the level they are supposed to offer.

This very much being the case here your plan for a short rental to find the right area for wifi service.

Would anyone have any more info on what ToT Fiber2u can offer speed wise when it comes to upload or download in the 3,000 - 6,000 baht range?

Also the 50/20 plan from 3BB: http://www.3bb.co.th/product/en/adsl/select.php?lang=en

Does anyone have any experiecne with speed capabilities in terms of download or upload from US/Canadian servers?

I mainly am looking to get a line set up that can hand continuous Dropbox syncing of 3 - 10mb files, Skype video calls, YouTube video uploads, picture uploads and some light torrenting (~ 1GB/day). If you have anything right now that can handle something similar please let me know!

Thank you in advance!

I have just been in to TOT today about my bad line, and they gave me a pamphlet with the fiber optic details in, so here is a scan of it for you.

post-172357-0-80542300-1385631653_thumb.

An ADSL line with 3g backup is fine. Although truemove 3g has been a bit slow of late (I am guessing because of more users). I am thinking of giving DTAC or AIS a try.

I suppose it depends on what part of the island you are in.

I am near Raja ferry and AIS was slow and my friends Dtac was slow. I tried TOT mobile (perfect storm package) and had to cancel it due to no coverage.

I have just switched to true move and its not much slower than my Broad Band, however uploading is 4x quicker.

3130685767.png

An ADSL line with 3g backup is fine. Although truemove 3g has been a bit slow of late (I am guessing because of more users). I am thinking of giving DTAC or AIS a try.

I suppose it depends on what part of the island you are in.

I am near Raja ferry and AIS was slow and my friends Dtac was slow. I tried TOT mobile (perfect storm package) and had to cancel it due to no coverage.

I have just switched to true move and its not much slower than my Broad Band, however uploading is 4x quicker.

3130685767.png

I just wanted to add some new results after buying shared wifi 3 box.

3132479252.png

Hi, I'm moving house next week to near the Bangrak market on the airport road so might change my internet while I'm at it.

I'm currently on 3BB premier 3mb package at 1066B, the standard package was no good for me, I think it was FTP or something, was a long time back.

From reading this thread I take it TOT fibre is the way to go. Just wondering if it has all the bells and whistles that the premier package has for FTP and the other stuff thats blocked with standard packages?

Also is it twelve months contract for farangs and whats the installation and standard router costs?

also th mobile phone signal is crap on the iphone here. had bad on the 4s and on the 5. some areas i have to call back about 3 or 4 times when driving.

chaweng noi, banrak, near makro, not sure about the rest anoying. got better 3g signal thann phone signal.