Missing parcel from the UK - any help would be appreciated

debstheleo

I'm not moaning, I'm just asking for help! ps I'm a she smile.png

i am so sorry miss or mrs.i always take it for granted that 99.9% are blokes so i will be a bit more civil,a lot of things go missing here expecially anything of value,normally whats

inside has to be written on the outside of parcels,they know if its birthday cards or credit cards,i have seen postmen hold up the envelopes to the light,as i said i have given up on goodies being sent to me,the last parcel i got from the uk.which did arive was 5 small

boxes of low cal.sweetning tabs.cost for 6,000tabs £6 cost for post £12,cost for them in thailand almost £2 per.100.as thai's like suger they were of no use.

I'm not moaning, I'm just asking for help! ps I'm a she smile.png

Sorry if the answers upset you but if you are living here you just have to accept the way they do things. As I said yesterday, 2 visa cards went missing in the mail here, the head thai postal worker told me straight out that they would have been stolen by one of the postal workers then yesterday when my pin number arrived the express post envelope had been opened and stuck back down and the pin number windows perforated cover had been pulled off then glued/stuck back rendering the new number useless to me but it would have given the postal worker that did it the new number, it was also not in its own envelope as they normally are inside the express post one. I will not even bother to report this to the post office because they will do nothing about it, they will not fire the worker involved because it is the way they do things, I should also state that yesterday I got well over a weeks worth of mail delivered because the heat wave was over and the rain had stopped, they only deliver when it suits them or there is just too much mail building up, I got 15 odd letters where as I am lucky to get one every 2 or 3 days.

Hopefully your parcel is still in the mail but with customs and the post office involved anything could happen. If you are lucky customs have held it up while they decide how much to charge you with import duties, if the total value of it is over 1000 baht in their opinion they can do this and it will add time to the notification/delivery. You just have to accept that this is not the UK and they do things differently and some believe that if they want something they can just take it, fortunately not everyone thinks like this but a lot do. I love Thailand, its a great place to live but I have accepted this sort of thing does happen, just remember the phrase "doesnt matter"(mai ben lai) and you will be fine, takes all the stress worry away and then you can come in here like the rest of us and take it out on the ferangs, hahahaha.biggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

In 12 years in Koh Phangan I've never lost a parcel. Sometines goods coming from Europe stuck somewhere and arrive after a huge time (2-3 months). So don't give up. If you can get a receipt number could be useful.

Clerks at Thong Sala post office are very helpful and I found more than one parcel arrived without any receipt or warning card.

Good luck and welcome to Thaivisa smile.png

Thanks seajae for your reply. I am an open minded person and have never said anything against the Thai people or their country. I totally appreciate that I am not living in the UK and that things are very different here....if I wanted that I'd be living in the UK!

My OP simply asked for help from the forum as to where I might start looking for my parcel. I had thought as it's a large box it could be stuck in customs....but where? I've not lived here for very long, it's one of those things you don't need to know until you need to know smile.png

I'm sorry to hear your PIN was opened.

Angiud - it's encouraging to hear that you eventually received your parcel after a very long wait.

Fingers crossed my parcel will arrive soon.

Thanks

hi..never sent any thing in or out of thailand with no tracking no..its a no no no..

all you can do is wait and see..

when post comes from the uk..it gets sorted in bangkok..then out to the delivery town..normaly from bangkok to getting delivered is only 3 days..

airmail next time and track it

hi everyone

just wanted to let you know that my long awaited parcel arrived today, totally intact, all contents inside and no customs fees biggrin.png

I sent a load of copies of documents to the wife for her visa and they never arrived so sent them again. The first lot eventally turned up 2 months later having gone to Taiwan. Easy mistake to make I gues Taiwan, Thailand almost the same.

• 1 month later...

Lesson number 1. Always send items to Thailand with a tracking number. I'm afraid you have lost it, if it had any value inside it will have been opened and taken. There is no way for your parcel to be tracked and found without a tracking number. In the future when someone sends you something from the UK ask for international signed for. The clerk at the post office will give you some BS about its not trackable on the Royal Mail website out of Europe. That doesn't matter as you have the Thai post website to track it once it gets to Bangkok. Small items with no tracking number will get here, but large items and value with no tracking number will not.

http://track.thailandpost.com/trackinternet/Default.aspx?lang=en

Lesson number 1. Always send items to Thailand with a tracking number. I'm afraid you have lost it, if it had any value inside it will have been opened and taken. There is no way for your parcel to be tracked and found without a tracking number. In the future when someone sends you something from the UK ask for international signed for. The clerk at the post office will give you some BS about its not trackable on the Royal Mail website out of Europe. That doesn't matter as you have the Thai post website to track it once it gets to Bangkok. Small items with no tracking number will get here, but large items and value with no tracking number will not. http://track.thailandpost.com/trackinternet/Default.aspx?lang=en

what comic have you been reading?

Thanks for the lessons :-)

Please see OP - I had asked the sender to post to me using International signed for and insurance.....but they didn't...hence the panic when it didn't arrive for over 11 weeks. It's arrived now. Previous sender will not be posting anything else to me in the future....

• Like 1

It's been stolen. I have had things shipped worldwide economy that have got here within 2 weeks. plenty of times. It should be here now. It has been stolen. I have had some stolen, they just happened to be the ones that were not signed for. All parcels that needed to be signed for got here no bother.

No signature required + farang writing = stolen.

NEVER send anything without paying that little extra for the signature, because that will be tracked.

• Like 1

This is why I'm asking for help in where to start perhaps looking for it. Does a parcel come via Samui or Surat Thani for Koh Phangan?

-

You can't go looking for it, it's not like they have waiting rooms for parcels, either it goes on its way or the thief got it off the premises undetected.

You'd just be throwing good money after bad, even if you knew the exact routing sequence of facilities you'll just keep getting passed up the chain until you're told to fly back to the UK.

In Khon Kaen they do - I've had lost parcels that turned up there. Sometimes I haven't been home when they were delivered.

Had money for my 30th birthday turn up on my 31 st birthday - that amazed me.

But learned the hard way - always go registered - had many things stolen.

How lazy - electric bloody toothbrush.

Next time for 200 pounds get a tracking number.

Otherwise you have no way to trace it.

The only thing you can do is go to the dispatching office in your area.

You will realize what an archaic mess it is !

The manager was quite nice to me: He took my tel number and called me when he received some further mail but I never got many of unregistered parcels (fortunately of low value)

He's right, they nick parcels without tracking numbers.

(Usually your local delivery man)

You were lucky this time.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I think if were with THai customs they would have been in touch wanting their cut and £200 would require a cut.

If I were you I would just write it off and if it turns up eventually be happy that it turned up.

As has been said , in the future send by air mail and get a tracking number/signed for etc option and remember this it is very important whatever is in the parcel its value is below £20 because its hardly worth the hassle of nicking it, if £200 was on the customs declaration well that is 10,000bts and is easily away.

Edited by nong38

The manager was quite nice to me: He took my tel number and called me when he received some further mail but I never got many of unregistered parcels (fortunately of low value)

They "nick" them? Are Americans using that word these days?

The postal service used to be far worse, it seems to me (going by my experience over the last 30 years and anecdotal evidence): I haven't had anything go missing for ages and some things people (foolishly) send me would be easily pilfered and of some value (even cash - my mom tends to send it to her grandchildren).

• Like 1

It's been stolen...It has been stolen...

No signature required + farang writing = stolen.

parcel now received thanks, despite no tracking etc, so not stolen.

***************************parcel now received*********************************

Wait...how can this be? We were already informed of the absolute fact that it was stolen...

The postal service used to be far worse, it seems to me (going by my experience over the last 30 years and anecdotal evidence): I haven't had anything go missing for ages and some things people (foolishly) send me would be easily pilfered and of some value (even cash - my mom tends to send it to her grandchildren).

30yrs ago i used to sit outside the weekender hotel in patts.and watch the postman delivering mail to the bars,he would be holding them up to the light as most would have money inside from their loving bf.

30yrs ago i used to sit outside the weekender hotel in patts.and watch the postman delivering mail to the bars,he would be holding them up to the light as most would have money inside from their loving bf.

So you saw him holding them up to the light and most had money in them...and then? Presumably the point of the dubious anecdote is that he was stealing - but the actual theft is conspicuously absent from the story.

And why would he wait to go to the destination and THEN check?

If there are new electrical appliances involved, such as the electric toothbrush and toiletries, than my guess is that there will be import duty and taxes to pay on these items, therefore someone should have first checked the state of play prior to sending these items.

It is possible that the parcel is being held somewhere at the Customs and Excise department in Bangkok. But as the said parcel was not registered and no tracking, then to be honest you’re up the creek without a paddle and the odds of ever receiving that parcel are extremely slim.

I advise checking with Customs & Excise in Bangkok, but you will need to know what was the exact name and addresses written on the parcel. If they do have it, there will be import duties to pay.